Deaf / HOH please: In what language(s) are you fluent?

In what language(s) are you fluent?

• Written English

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Spoken English

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Written French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spoken French

• Written German

• Spoken German

• Written Spanish

• Spoken Spanish

• Written Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Indian languages

• Spoken Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Indian languages

• Written Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Asian languages

• Spoken Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Asian languages

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Written Italian

• Spoken Italian

• Other Written language(s)

• Other Spoken language(s)

• ASL

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • BSL

• Auslan

• Other Sign language(s)

• Total voters
my most fluent sign language.

:lol:
What does that matter? The concept of fluency doesn't hinge on how you pronounce a certain word or how you hold your pen. It's how you use the language, what you say or write or sign.

Hi, I am not deaf, but have learnt:american sign-language, french sign-language,and hebrew sign-language. Which one am I most fluent in? American sign-language...definitively!
David Barban

I am fluent in Spoken English, but not so much in BSL(I struggle with BSL since there's no english in it)

I am profoundly deaf. I choose spoken and written English as my most fluent language.

Signed English is difficult sometimes due to not knowing signs for many words because of my extensive vocabulary in written English.

ASL is the most difficult language I know primarily because it does not use English structures. It is derived from FSL (French Signed Language).

I'm profoundly deaf, and wear hearing aids since I was a toddler. I pick spoken and written English, spoken and written Spanish, and written German. I will not ever speak German. Ever. It makes you spit literally. My brother speaks German, and spits.

I am still learning ASL since I was 17 years old. I learned SEE 2 when I was 8 years old. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate it. It kept interfering with my reading skills. :dizzy:

My grandpa told me that in 60% of ASL, we are also talking in french as well! I thought it was pretty cool, I didn't really know that some parts of ASL could also be linked to another foreign sign language.

My grandpa told me that in 60% of ASL, we are also talking in french as well! I thought it was pretty cool, I didn't really know that some parts of ASL could also be linked to another foreign sign language.
Yeah, we originally used French sign language. Then it slowly changed and was named ASL. If you go on youtube and watch French sign language videos, you can understand half or more! I actually understand almost all. :cool2:

Yeah, we originally used French sign language. Then it slowly changed and was named ASL. If you go on youtube and watch French sign language videos, you can understand half or more! I actually understand almost all. :cool2:

lol, hardly surprising, given the history of e'pee and gallaudet...

Back