Deaf-Hearing Couples Research Study

G

Gemtun

Got this in my email box today. Thought some of you would want to participate in this.

I am a communication professor on the East coast and I have done research
on Deaf-Hearing couples and will be undertaking another in-depth study
which will hopefully lead to a book on deaf-hearing couples. I am emailing
you to ask for anyone who might be interested in participating in an intensive research study examining communication patterns of deaf-hearing couples. The deaf partner can be a signing partner, user of hearing aids, or a cochlear implantee. Hearing partners can be CODAs or non-CODAs.

I look forward to hearing from you; my goal is to gather research subjects
in Dec and Jan and begin disseminating survey measures in Feb, 2005. Happy Holidays.

i'm interested i'm a hearing person (i dont know waht coda is ...) and my partner is deaf.. tho he uses lip reading as his main way of communicating neither of us know how to sign.. does that still help you?
if not then its ok..if yes then pls dont' hesitate to ask questions i'm really interested in learing about hearing and non hearing relationships
btw .. ur study sounds really great! good luck :D

I think maybe I’ll contact her. Mrs. Chimp is deaf and a CI recipient. I have monaural hearing, so I’m not exactly deaf, and I’m not exactly hearing—I’m sort of in a nether region between the two. Neither of us sign very well, but we do use a lot of home signs just between the two of us.

that's interesting... my girlfriend is hearing.. I'm a good signer.. she's not :lol:

Ain't getting under that microscope! Lol......J/K, don't gitcher undies in a knot....

This topic is of great interest to me.

I've been looking for good discussions on the topic of Deaf/Hearing marriages for two reasons:
1. I am Deaf and my wife is hearing.
2. I teach Deaf Education at Stephen F. Austin and want my students to be fully aware of the complexity of a Deaf-Hearing relationship.

I would be more than happy to participate in your research if it is not too late.
I would also love to see the results. I have found one book on the subject for Deaf-hearing couples in England.

Scott Whitney

Back