deaf/hearing... and INTERPRETER

He is entitled to have an interpreter through the ADA. And I don't mind him being there, but he wants to be there too. I'm not just some needy little girl who can't tie her own shoes.
We are hoping to be married this summer if we can get the funds together (NIC tests, school debt, etc = a lot of money gone)

That is a good quesiton. Just sad that only for patients since lots of Agencies are trying to save $$$ only for patients. nothing else.

He is entitled to have an interpreter through the ADA.
If you say that, you need to back it up with documentation; most doctors won't simply take your word for that. Ask the deaf ADers here. Many deaf patients struggle to get terps for their own appointments, much less get them for people who tag along to appointments. Can you quote the section of the ADA that applies? (Something to know if you plan to become a terp.)

Haha! Reba, you're funny. :) I'm not complaining! I know that would be a cheap route. Call me old fashioned but I want my dad to walk me down the aisle, and friends and family to be there. Not the $10 grand wedding kind of girl either but a casual get-together would be nice. We are being patient until we can at least afford that and (with school loans breathing down our necks) a place of our own.

Technically the doctors office CAN refuse you by saying a pen and paper may be appropriate enough or written materials. I don't live IN the states so the ADA laws I've never seen before until I looked them up today...

Americans with Disabilities Act and Hearing Interpreters

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, Public Law 101-336, 42 U.S.C. §12101, et seq., the first civil rights measure to thoroughly address the discrimination facing the disability community, ensures a level playing field for persons with disabilities with respect to employment and access to goods and services offered by private, state, and local government entities. The prohibition against discrimination on the basis of disability includes an obligation to make reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of patients with disabilites. This has been interpreted by some as creating a requirement that physicians provide and pay for the cost of hearing interpreters for their patients who are hearing disabled. While there will be instances where a physician must provide a hearing interpreter, there is no hard and fast requirement for the provision of such services.

The ADA requirement to provide "auxiliary aids and services" includes a responsibility of making aurally delivered materials accessible for hearing disabled patients. This may be accomplished through multiple means, including qualified interpreters, note taking, written materials, and telecommunications devices for deaf persons. The first step is to determine, in consultation with the patient, the appropriate auxiliary aid or service. In some instances, such as when a conversation is particularly important relative to the care and services being provided, or is particularly complex, effective communication may only be ensured through the use of a qualified interpreter. No special accreditation is needed to meet ADA standards, and qualified interpreters may include: family members or friends, as long as they are effective, accurate, impartial (especially in personal or confidential situations), and an acceptable choice to the patient; personnel from the practice or facility; or interpreters from interpreter services.

The ADA does not mandate the use of interpreters in every instance. The health care professional can choose alternatives to interpreters as long as the result is effective communication. Alternatives to interpreters should be discussed with hearing impaired patients, especially those not aware that such alternatives are permissible under the Act. Acceptable alternatives may include: note taking; written materials; or, if viable, lip reading. A health care professional or facility is not required to provide an interpreter when:

it would present an undue burden. An undue burden is a significant expense or difficulty to the operation of the facility. Factors courts use to determine whether providing an interpreter would present an undue burden include the practice or facility's operating income and eligibility for tax credits, and whether it has sources of outside funding or a parent company. Courts also consider the frequency of visits that would require the services of an interpreter. However, the single factor of the cost of an interpreter exceeding the cost of a medical consultation generally has not been found by the courts to be an undue burden.

or,
it would fundamentally alter the nature of the services normally provided. For example, in sensative situations, utilizing a family member as an interpreter, or an interpreter not affiliated with the practice or facility, may be inappropriate.

so basically the doctors office can say it's going to cause undue burden to the office to provide an interpreter for someone other than the patient.

I still believe if it's due to a pregnancy that's different since the baby is also his and he has the right to be at the appointments as well, in my opinion.

But the doctors office has every right to refuse to pay for an terp for YOUR doctors appointments since you as the patient are hearing.

Haha! Reba, you're funny. :) I'm not complaining! I know that would be a cheap route. Call me old fashioned but I want my dad to walk me down the aisle, and friends and family to be there. Not the $10 grand wedding kind of girl either but a casual get-together would be nice. We are being patient until we can at least afford that and (with school loans breathing down our necks) a place of our own.
I wasn't trying to be funny.

It's a matter of priorities.

I got married for under $100, and we are still going strong after almost 40 years. My daughter got married for under $1,000, going on 20 years. It can be done. :)

I know that would be a cheap route. Call me old fashioned but I want my dad to walk me down the aisle, and friends and family to be there. Not the $10 grand wedding kind of girl either but a casual get-together would be nice.
All churches, to my knowledge, tolerate a civil marriage substantially in advance of a church wedding. If you need the legal protection of a civil marriage, then do it.

Then, later, you can get church-married, and formalize the relationship before God and church. Catholics even have a word for it. :D

As for "a place of our own," one apt. is cheaper than two.

Back