Deaf Hate Crime

yizuman

Reaction score
Looking into this and only one post mentioned about this dangerous bill that got passed in California...

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/77...rm-parents-all-options-deaf-hard-hearing.html

I'm surprised that no serious discussion nor is there an outrage regarding this bill.

Apparently in this bill, being deaf is a health issue and not a language issue.

Take a look at this VBlog by Carl Schroeder as he explains what this bill is about....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Pfspi-z58]YouTube - AB 2072: Language Planning?[/ame]

Great, more ignorance from the political spectrum as well as the hearing world in regards to their view of the deaf world.

Read this article, it shows what is in these provisions of the bill..

DBC OPPOSE Dangerous California AB 2072 Bill Deaf Bilingual Coalition's Blog

What is there being done in the state of California by the deaf community?

Deaf Hate Crime: Deaf Hate Crime: Understanding American Sign Language Wars

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107796755919287&v=info#!/group.php?gid=107796755919287&v=wall

Yiz

I agree. Language and culture of the deaf should go to the education committee.

I agree. Language and culture of the deaf should go to the education committee.

I second that, too. Sad, isn't it? Hearing authorities like Health committee just don't understand our deafness and Deaf Culture at all. Ugh, what a mess! We have been trying to explain this Culture with the hearing people for years and still they are like cavepeople. (sigh) :roll:

yea i hate that when hearing people are using us as lab rats. We have been telling them the clear and loud answer about ASL & the deaf culture for years. oh well.

yea i hate that when hearing people are using us as lab rats. We have been telling them the clear and loud answer about ASL & the deaf culture for years. oh well.

Oh well?

Is that it? Oh well?

So we're gonna take this lying down? No threat to the deaf community as a whole?

Yiz

Oh well?

Is that it? Oh well?

So we're gonna take this lying down? No threat to the deaf community as a whole?

Yiz

I didn't mean to sound like that. I keep continuing to tell everyone that ASL and Deaf Culture rocks. :)

The hearies won't know what to be deaf is like unless we've placed them in our shoes. Until then, they're just being ignorant. So yeah, I agree with Frisky Feline about the education committee.

I think one of the reasons the hell does not break loose in here is because not all of us are California residents. If it is a bill similar to this that is well in a consideration to be federally passed, then we would have seen more actions out of this.

I just feel like every time some jackass that comes along that thinks less of us as being deaf that we need another late 1980s Gallaudet that really grabs the attention of the media and people abroad so that the so called Politicians take notice that we're not taking this crap lying down every time they look down on us.

Speaking of that, I just feel that day at Gallaudet has been forgotten and society is reverting back to the old dark days of ignorance towards the Deaf Nation that we all know and love. I really think we need to wake them up again once more and keep doing that every so often, like every 10 years or so. So that we're not going to be content at being ignored at their very whim and we're all still here as well as the fact that we're still going to be here for many generations to come.

Yiz

Has anyone else - at least from Canada - noticed that all of the infuriating bills and prop's are coming from California?

Not all of us Hearies feel that way remember but I agree a whole heck of a lot of them are ignorant and seem to not want to understand. I must say though that I try to educate other hearie people every chance I get. The way I feel is that Deaf should have the choice on how they want to learn and that us hearies should have NO choice and have to learn ASL because it is like having to learn English in this country because they both are languages based in the USA.

Back