Deaf hairstylist?

I would love to be a hairstylist too, but I can't stand on my feet all day long cutting and doing people's hair. I have bad hips (hip dysplasia), back, and my feet always hurt. I can't even walk far. Wonder if they would allow me to sit on a high stool while doing people's hair? I dunno.

But, Skullchick, you should go for it! :)

I know who is the deaf hairstylist. She is still work there for many years. I can't tell you what is her name. That's her private.

I have a several friends are a hairstylist. My cousin is hairstylist and hairdresser.

My mom used to work for hairstylist long times ago.

update

ok jason and I discussed about it we both agreed to go to community college to get diploma in something to have something to fall back on and then go to beauty school (only 11 months to complete so)
then find work as hairstylist and see how it work out for me and if it doesnt work out then i'll use whatever i had on diploma as job for example accountant. so its all good :)

I know two deaf hairstylists and one of them is owning a shop. they are doing very successful.

Oh. Is that your career for Hairstylist? You can go to college and go to Beauty School. Have a fun! :)

update

ok jason and I discussed about it we both agreed to go to community college to get diploma in something to have something to fall back on and then go to beauty school (only 11 months to complete so)
then find work as hairstylist and see how it work out for me and if it doesnt work out then i'll use whatever i had on diploma as job for example accountant. so its all good :)

I do know two deaf ladies who run their own hairstylist business in my state and still do it for a long time. Both speaks well. One of them is my wife's friend and she didn't say anything problematic like others said above, however.

My wife even considers it yet she isn't too sure and she speaks pretty good enough... still thinking about it yet she needs to pass tests for some state certificates... loaned several books from that hairstylist which surprise me that it looks difficult to pass.

If they could, therefore skullchick could try it... maybe only if she speaks well enough. Go for it regardless like Reba said.

I am a hearing hair stylist doing Deaf studies in college, but a Deaf girl went to my beauty school! She did amazing work and actually got a lot of clients in school and had a personal interpreter help her with consultations. You can always focus on the Deaf community in your area! I'm sure lots of Deaf people would love a Deaf stylist. It just depends on the people you know and the work you can do. Doing hair is 20% work and 80% customer service.

Don't let anyone crush your dream. You can do anything a hearing person can do (minus hearing, obviously) and succeed in your own way.

Old thread

Maybe skullchick has set up her shop by now, and right in business styling hair. Or, maybe she's busy doing taxes because she became an accountant. Your right, this thread is ancient. :roll:

Ha, accounting isn't an easy job. I'm almost done with my associate's in accounting and having a terrible time finding an entry level job. But it's due to my location overall, in TX they hire people even with no experience in accounting for entry-level jobs, no formal degree necessary. In my state of AZ, you *need* a degree in Accounting FINISHED not on-going in order for them to look at you.

I may go to Texas..... I can't find jobs here! :(

That threads on SkullChick has been posted since 7 years ago. Yep, it is old and history threads.

I hope she is okay. It had been a long time. :(

As a former esthetician, communication is very important in this line of work, so if you are very deaf and can not lipread well, hear at least moderately well,
then I don't know how possibly you could be a hairdresser unless you are going to have deaf-mostly clientele or deaf-aware.

How deaf you are? how well do you communicate with hearing?

However, if you really really really want this and feel that you have a talent..
what people want in the end is well done hair, so.. there is always a chance a customer will overlook a communication difficulty in place for a great hair cut
and a amazing color job.
Still, however, I would think hard what to do to have personal communication aide.
Perhaps once you'll finish school (will they grant you a special assistance?? you will need one, since there is quite an amount of theory in hairdressing
when in comes to coloring, cutting, styling tips)
and open your own shop, you will be able to hire instead of one more hairdresser - an aide?

Lots to think about, lots to plan about..

Fuzzy

Nothing wrong bringing back old thread

My ex who is Deaf also goes to a Deaf Hairstylist who works at a salon in Baldwin Hills Mall. Los Angeles. Very close to Marlton (LAUSD'S DHH day school). I can get the name and info if anyone in the area is interested

Back