Deaf Flight Attendent???????

same here

Old thread I see, but nvm!

If a HoH person can do the job by having a useful level of hearing, then there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to fulfil this role. However, if they're unable to hear at all, it's unlikely that they will be able to do the job safely. Communication is one of the main priorities for this role, so it's imperative that one can communicate both efficiently and effectively.

Many people believe that F/A's are mainly there to provide a waiter service. While this may seem the case, it's far from the truth. Most of their training is safety related, I.e. performing evacuations, educating and accounting for PAX. Someone with severe or profound hearing loss is very likely to struggle, to the extent that it could potentially compromise safety.

It was something I wanted to do myself but after a lot of research, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. That said, I live in the UK and discrimination on safety grounds is perfectly acceptable here. I believe some countries are anti disability discrimination on all grounds, at least by law.

Wow, it is hard for me to believe that there are Deaf Flight Attendants. I hardly doubt it because communication is very important in this industry. This is pretty hard for me to believe.

Deaf Pilots Association

Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions

If you are interested in becoming a flight attendant or pilot, so, go for it! Deaf people can do anything except hear. :)

Not really. Those links contain information for deaf people who wish to become a Private Pilot, with significant limitations. (No use of radio) It is virtually unheard of for deaf people to become commercial or airline transport pilots.

For example, if you want to become an airline pilot in the UK, you must meet the following hearing requirements:

"The frequencies that have to be tested are 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 Hertz (Hz), and the maximum allowable losses is shown below:

500Hz - 35 dB
1000Hz - 35 dB
2000Hz - 35 dB
3000Hz -50 dB"

Obviously someone who has a severe or profound hearing loss has little chance of meeting those requirements. The JAA (US) requirements are similar but do allow for one ear to be slightly worse than the other.

It is frustrating because we're in an age where computers could eliminate the need for radio communications. Not only would it make our skies safer, but it would also enable HoH people to safely perform the role of an airline pilot, along with those who do not speak English. (I.e. many people in foreign countries)

Or we can dream of this sci-fi solution as read in the Dune series by Frank Herbert...the use of the human guild navigators to mentally navigate the skies and interstellar travel without using electronic computers ^_^

Obviously Deaf people can be a flight attendent, however I am sure the airline would want that persons speech to be perfect, as communication would be key, so even if by law they couldn't discriminate against a person who used only ASL and written communication, if the majority of trabellers use speech, that is what they are going to want, and thus would find a way not to hire you unless your speech is good

Thank you -- The link you attached -- I have done that, I called those agencies, FAA, union association, airlines, etc... the problem is that they cannot give information out according to privacy acts.

Indeed, I am on this tracking down the rumors to gather the information as much as I could.

So far, British Airways was the one I am communicating but they keep saying they could not get permission to give out the information.

That's why I am turning to Deaf people because they usually fly a lot, they would have some answers for me.

Thank you.
Hi Im deaf Ive work with 4 diffrent airlines for the last 22 years and now Im working with AA and we have few deaf workers and Ive met 3 deaf FA

Hi JayZ

Are you actually an Flight Attendant for AA?!
I am asking because it has been an ambition of mine to pursue a career in the aviation industry as cabin crew member, I'm from the UK,
I went for a assessment for the role of cabin crew with British Airways and the are quite prepared to accept a hearing person as member of cabin crew. I was unfortunately unsuccessful at the final stage although I am going to re-apply also I'm going to apply to Virgin Atlantic as well soon!

I would like to know how do you deal with emergency situations on-board?? I'd appreciate it if you can explain as i am trying to show some more facts to some airlines that they can recruit hearing imparied person as cabin crew with some reasonable adjustment regarding the SEP, and the personal announcement if the automated PA system is not functionally properly.
"Deaf people can do anything but hear" I know I have the ability to execute the role of Cabin Crew (Flight Attendant)
Do you rely on other crew member to tell you what the pilot is saying such as Brace for imapact then you will have to shout "Brace Brace Brace" aloud to PAX? Its all body language and visual on board anyway plus its noisy up at 35,000 feet.
I have experiences in customer service and and very well lip read/er.
I hope you'll type back with some answers.
What airlines did you work for?
I am aware that Delta does and now AA!
other two more?

Kindest Regards,
Rob

Back