Deaf Facts

Shaylor

Reaction score
I'm writing a book about a deaf girl, but I'm hearing.
Just had a few questions for any deaf people please

What are some of the hardest words/letters to say or lip read?
What are some insults or mean names people say to the deaf?
What are some of the things that hearing people do that make you angry?

I think that's really all I have for right now... If anyone is interested in reading it, I'd love that so I can check my facts to make sure it's accurate

Thanks!

One of my pet peeves is hearing people coming here and asking personal questions without tell anything about their self . What kind of book are you writing that you need to know insulting words we do not like ??

It is a free country; anyone can write about anything they want, practically. This is not the same as those students wanting us to do their homework for them....

I'm not Deaf, but I'm HoH, and words that are hard for me to lipread are any words with sounds that don't involve the lips

I don't know about insults, really, I've been very fortunate not to be made fun of due to my hearing loss (not so fortunate of being made fun of due to the fact that I was a total nerd, though)

Hearing people don't bug me, I grew up with hearing people only so I don't know any difference...the only thing that is frustrating are people who mumble, and it's not the person themselves that bug me, just that trait

Is it part of your homework? Or just a book you want to write? Why don't you write about yourself which is easier for you to know what you are looking for

Thanks!

Think of deaf people as a sort of exotic pet, or status as an unusual friend to show off.

Okay all I wanted was some questions answered. I'm not treating deaf people like pets or like they're stupid. I can't ask questions? I'm only allowed to write about hearing people? Really?
I love signing and I love the deaf community. I love learning about new cultures and am just trying to inform myself so I know more rather than being ignorant or mean.
That's all I'm trying to do.

It might be eSier fir you to go to a deaf event in your community. Cant really help as i am hearing. But well as a kid when i was deaf i had a hard time with the s but i learned spanish first. I wasnt insulted becuase i was deaf ao cant help there. I well im hearing ao there is a lot of annoying things hearing people do.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/111822-10-annoying-habits-hearing-people.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/37633-hearing-people-can-so-annoying.html

Plus here's a google linky that shows search results for lipreading: https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...&ie=UTF-8#q=site:alldeaf.com+lipread&safe=off

Shaylor, don't worry about these folks, the problem is we get a lot of hearies like you that come by often needing help with their homework or whatever class assignment they have that day. You did fine asking questions. The only feedback is to at least use the search feature. If you use google and enter site:alldeaf.com and your search tearms you'll find many threads.

This topic has been discussed many times so it gets annoying when someone brings it up yet. again.

Good luck with the book!

Okay all I wanted was some questions answered. I'm not treating deaf people like pets or like they're stupid. I can't ask questions? I'm only allowed to write about hearing people? Really?
I love signing and I love the deaf community. I love learning about new cultures and am just trying to inform myself so I know more rather than being ignorant or mean.
That's all I'm trying to do.

You asked what deaf people don't like that hearing people do.

I told you what some hearing people do that I don't like.

No one said you do this, but right away you are angry like you are being accused after your question was answered.

That doesn't make sense.

Don't think this is any kind of "homework" more like research to be sure what she is writing is accurate...even if there is just one character who is deaf. Rough crowd here sometimes but I do get they get tired of people coming and asking for homework help all the time (I used to see this in the programming forums too).

As for the questions--

- speaking- S, any letter blends like SH, CH, PH etc. Lipreading I suck for shite so can't help there much lol. Hearing-- I get letters mixed all the time- P/B/V is one off the top of my head. Ironically my speech is somewhat better in some areas than some of my HOH friends whose losses are anywhere between mild to severe (mine is profound with sucky speech discrim scores lol). Lipreading is difficult because there are so many sounds that are not visible ON the lips or are "silent"

--I don't know of any- said to me personally at least. I got four eyes etc more than anything related to my deafness oddly. "Dumb" is one I am sure that has been said.

- Not really 'angry' but more frustrated annoyed and irritated....the biggest is "Never miiiiiind...I'll tell you later" "It wasn't important" or similar statements. Overcompensating/over enunciating words (yes family members have been guilty of this... I can't be completely mad at them though...they tried...).

It's why I love my WA friend lol. Every time I've visited so far- even though there's always a gaggle of people- she'll still text me lmao. It works since she doesn't like being in crowds and is soft spoken in a way even though I can understand her (hard to explain)...but she also knows in her own way how hard it is for me to participate.

Whoops went off track. I do hope you go further with your novel and share the story with us as you continue. :)

Don't think this is any kind of "homework" more like research to be sure what she is writing is accurate...even if there is just one character who is deaf. Rough crowd here sometimes but I do get they get tired of people coming and asking for homework help all the time (I used to see this in the programming forums too).

As for the questions--

- speaking- S, any letter blends like SH, CH, PH etc. Lipreading I suck for shite so can't help there much lol. Hearing-- I get letters mixed all the time- P/B/V is one off the top of my head. Ironically my speech is somewhat better in some areas than some of my HOH friends whose losses are anywhere between mild to severe (mine is profound with sucky speech discrim scores lol). Lipreading is difficult because there are so many sounds that are not visible ON the lips or are "silent"

--I don't know of any- said to me personally at least. I got four eyes etc more than anything related to my deafness oddly. "Dumb" is one I am sure that has been said.

- Not really 'angry' but more frustrated annoyed and irritated....the biggest is "Never miiiiiind...I'll tell you later" "It wasn't important" or similar statements. Overcompensating/over enunciating words (yes family members have been guilty of this... I can't be completely mad at them though...they tried...).

It's why I love my WA friend lol. Every time I've visited so far- even though there's always a gaggle of people- she'll still text me lmao. It works since she doesn't like being in crowds and is soft spoken in a way even though I can understand her (hard to explain)...but she also knows in her own way how hard it is for me to participate.

Whoops went off track. I do hope you go further with your novel and share the story with us as you continue. :)

Oooooooooooooooooooh come on Ducky, I know you can do better than that! Come on now, I know almost every single one of us has had multiple hearies talk louder to us when we told people we're Deaf... :roll:

oooooooooooooooooooh come on ducky, i know you can do better than that! Come on now, i know almost every single one of us has had multiple hearies talk louder to us when we told people we're deaf... :roll:
i dont know what you are talking about!!!!!

two, too, to
idk, nothing of words mean to me anything
none is going to piss me off. Instead of angry, I'm education them. Love is patience.

A Nihilist put up some good links.

I find vowels aren't too hard, it consonants, and ones that are similar that are difficult. You can probably find an online lesson and it will teach you. You can try to experience it first hand.

Biggest pet peeves, being told never mind, having someone that won't look at you the entire time they're talking, like looks around, turns around, hell turns around and walks away while talking.

I didn't grow up deaf so I didn't face teasing by other kids, nothing that affected my self esteem do I can't help you there.

I see nothing wrong with these questions. This is what writers have to do, research things. If they're writing about a police situation, they consult with policemen, if it's military they consult someone it etc etc etc
I don't think any author limits their writing to things they have first hand knowledge about. Just think about how limiting that would be.

Amb hit the nail on the head with that walking away one... :mad:

They're talking to you and they walk in the other room as they're talking... WTF is that crap!? Every freaking time.... "Oh Mew, why won't you consider dating a hearing person?" This... this right here.... They are the WORST for it... Oh let me talk to you and oh I'm just going to walk into the kitchen and continue my story so I leave you hanging as I talk to myself now... :shock: :mad: :mad2: You just want to slap them.... The really good kind of slap too... Maybe that's just me.... :ugh: Frustrations, frustrations... :D

Oooooooooooooooooooh come on Ducky, I know you can do better than that! Come on now, I know almost every single one of us has had multiple hearies talk louder to us when we told people we're Deaf... :roll:
Lmao Mew... yes have gotten that too. There is one incident I remember- some little brats were harassing me while I was riding my bike near my house. One little brat purposely ran INTO me- screwed up the chain and pedals. Pretty sure they did so because I am deaf (and the coke bottom glasses...). I walked my bike home.

Apparently somehow this brat's mother found out and made him come to my house (one street over- I didn't know the kid anyway)...when I answered the door- he practically.. no he DID.. yelled his apology to me *wtf*..hm.. 'thank you' good bye. He yelled loud enough that mom heard him and went to talk to the bra.. I mean kid.. no brat.

A few other incidents I remember about being picked on (including getting rocks thrown at me)- I am sure because of my body aid being visible (summer time)- and the glasses... don't really like to remember them though. High School was sort of better but there you just get ignored :P or I did- small school.

Back