Deaf entrepreneur checking in - come say hello!

HeyDeafMan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've heard lots of amazing things about AllDeaf! So I'm here to join the community :)

Here's a little about me:

My name's Ryan, and I am 22. I am an entrepreneur with a severe progressive hearing loss.

I love being deaf, as it has enabled me to achieve far more than I ever dreamed possible. I've been awarded by President Obama, built tech startups from the ground up, and have learned under some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the country.

I'm passionate about people. Most of my work has been in helping to improve communities. In fact, my most recent venture is Deaf It Up. It is a website geared towards deaf success. I offer my own advice in addition to showcasing other successful deaf people from all around the world.

What are some of my hobbies?

I enjoy traveling, doing calisthenics, Netflix binging and writing fantasy novels. I also do some of that Pokemon Go. Can't tell you how many amazing places I've been to because of that game.

So that's me. I'd love to hear who you are and what you enjoy!

Last edited:
That is quite a profile! Keep up the great work! We're the same age but wish I had half of your success!

That is quite a profile! Keep up the great work! We're the same age but wish I had half of your success!

Thank you very much! If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me! I'm thinking on doing an AMA too soon here over the next few days (Ask me anything) since that went well over on Reddit. So there'll be opportunities there to learn more too :)

Last edited:
what did President Obama award you for?

The first time I was recognized was for driving a movement that had a major impact on the community, after raising tens of thousands of dollars for the Susan G Komen Cure for Breast Cancer Foundation. The second time around was the Presidential Call to Service Award for more than 4000 hours of community service. Some other recipients include S Truett Cathy (Chick-fil-a founder) and Frank Shankwitz (Make-A-Wish Foundation founder).

Can you post the Reddit AMA please? Curious...

Just looked at your site. Pretty awesome and I was reading the 5 Deaf jobs article. Very true. I'm looking into switching to Web Developer (since apparently I'm having problems getting back into QA Testing on Mainframe- yes I loved Mainframe lol). But... money is a factor with the bootcamp I want to attend. I've done Free code camp but feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere actually learning anything...so..

ahem.. sorry hijacked a little there. Keep doing what you do :)

Last edited:
Can you post the Reddit AMA please? Curious...

Just looked at your site. Pretty awesome and I was reading the 5 Deaf jobs article. Very true. I'm looking into switching to Web Developer (since apparently I'm having problems getting back into QA Testing on Mainframe- yes I loved Mainframe lol). But... money is a factor with the bootcamp I want to attend. I've done Free code camp but feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere actually learning anything...so..

ahem.. sorry hijacked a little there. Keep doing what you do :)

Hi Ducky, sorry about the late reply. Was doing a bit of traveling. But yes, here is a link to my Reddit AMA, as well as my link to where I received the interest on setting up the website. I do plan to do an AMA here tomorrow so that the deaf community has a chance to ask me anything they'd like.

Also, if web development is something you're really interested in, I'd start here. There are some very useful links on the sidebar. Once you feel like you know your stuff, hit me up. I may be able to connect you to some companies that are searching for web devs.

I have no problem with a little bit of hijacking here and there. It let me learn a little more about you :)

Best,

Ryan

Hello and good like with your new website. Some inspiring content. I'd love to see some articles on neuroplasticity and hearing loss reversal. If you can remove half of somebody's brain and as a result the other half develops new neural networks in order to compensate, I have to believe it is possible to expand the auditory cortex. To me, hearing is 1 part physical and 1 part listening and comprehension. I think there's a huge market opportunity for somebody to integrate both.

Back