Deaf drivers

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
I read so many times that deaf drivers are better drivers, but does anyone actually have any legitimate links to legitimate studies to support this opinion?
- NOT the generic statements "studies say ...."

Not to throw cold water over this long standing happy belief, just need to see a solid evidence behind this widespread opinion.

exactly on what grounds everybody is saying "deaf are better drivers than hearies"?
just because a deaf person is deaf it doesn't make him or her better driver, it's illogical.
just because a deaf driver turns his/her head more than a hearing driver it doesn't make it a better driver. because why?
why would it?
on the opposite, just as any person would start wiggling, craning, turning left and right
so is a deaf one immediately missing what is happening on the opposite side - so, how then does driving like that makes it safer? it doesn't.

However, not being able to hear a firetruck or police or ambulance siren, it does make a difference.
even a warning honk from a nearby car can be a matter of life or death difference. and we can't hear it, simple as that.
now, that CAN be a problem. and that's where we compensate by looking out a lot more. that's all. no mythic deaf driving abilities at all.

In the end, it DOESN'T MATTER whether a driver is deaf or hearing, we all drive the same. deaf drivers AREN'T any better drivers!
they are just as average drivers as anybody else :)
some better, some worse -that's it.

Whether or not you are a good or bad driver is based upon your driving skills.
how is your judgment on the road, your ability to make right decision, paying attention to whereabouts, to predict the action of other drivers.
NOT the fact if you are deaf or hearing.

as simple as that :)

Fuzzy

Im in the opposite boat! I dont have that mindset that deaf are better drivers. I just see us the same. But I am sick of being percieved that I am less superior driver vs a hearing driver.

Im constantly told I am deaf and cant drive van for my work just because I am deaf. Pisses me off to no end!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101110205051.htm

This wed site said deaf adults have better peripheral vision than hearing people so that could help made then better drivers . I know I still have good peripheral vision for my age .

Just because you have better peripheral vision doesn't automatically mean you are a better driver.
You need driving skills and a passed road test with high marks to be a good driver, not better peripheral vision.

One may have a vision like a hawk and still suck at driving.

Fuzzy

But I am sick of being percieved that I am less superior driver vs a hearing driver.

Im constantly told I am deaf and cant drive van for my work just because I am deaf. Pisses me off to no end!

I agree with you. 100%.
There is no reason deaf people shouldn't or couldn't drive.
There is also no reason to suggest that just because a person is deaf it makes her/him a lesser driver - it does not.

Fuzzy

Not all deaf adults have better peripheral vision either. It's just more noticeable with the deaf because it is a smaller 'sample' than the hearing world at large.

Partly why I don't always like these 'studies'- while it is true that the deaf rely much more heavily on their vision- it doesn't mean that they're better or worse drivers or have better peripheral vision overall than hearing. There's too many factors that go into how well a person, hearing or deaf can drive.

Well. I see a lot of hearing people got a lot of wrecks in Houston everyday. I never see deaf people out there. Hearing distracted to the phone, radio or something interesting out there. I'm not saying hearing people are stupid driver.

About a year ago or so, i I recalled in article that Federal DOT (Department of Transportation) who deal with CDL regulations have come up conclusion after collecting data. The result were startling to them when it comes to Deaf and Hearing drivers. The result shows both are the same, neither is better or worse. This opens even more doors for Deaf truck drivers! About time that Deaf were given chance to prove themselves.

Found it

http://nad.org/news/2013/2/dot-recognizes-deaf-and-hard-hearing-truck-drivers

I have the email from NAD about how to apply for exemption from USDOT if anyone is interested. They have got over 20 deaf drivers exemptions.

Back