Deaf drivers and pagers

You can pre-program AIM to put "I am driving right now, TTYL" on your pager...my fiance does that with his SK.

Yeah, That is good. Thank you Lucia and I will remember to do that when I get my SK.

I agree. Using a pager is worse than using a cell phone because you have to look at the pager when you're typing.

I have a few friends who got in accidents or got speeding tickets because they were using pagers. :roll:

So that is why I got my son to answer my blackberry for me while I drive. But if he is not there I wont bother to answer til I am not driving. That is my final point to stay safe on the road.

Hello all,

I would agree that to a typical hearing person that it is dangerous to use a pager rather than to talk on the phone when one is driving.

However, statistics have shown that there is a trend that is going up that hearing drivers are getting into car accident because they were chatting on the phone.

I frequently use my pager while I am driving. I have no plm with that. I am pretty good at typing out messages while my eyes are on the road. However, if I am driving on a highway with many sharp curves, I will put it down and focus on staying on the road. It only requires common sense to learn to use it and when not to use it.

If Deafies don't want to use the pager while they are driving, that's cool. At times when I want to IM or page someone, I would get a reply that that person is driving. That's okay with me. I can wait.

I have yet met a deaf friend who has gotten into a car accident because of the pager.

As for hearies who use their cellular phones while they are driving are deemed (in my opinion) more dangerous than Deafies who use their pagers. Deafies are better in tune with using their vision than hearies do. Hearies rely more on hearing. If one would need to choose, sight is a better tool to use for driving than hearing.

That’s my 5 cents.

Unless i stop using SK i could be killed. I like SK. Its so useful. i 'd rather check message than chat. I dop by gasoline station and chat for while. Somehow hearing always talk on phone cell i dont think it would be good idea.

A few weeks ago someone bumped into one of our transit coaches that was using a SK type device. They didn't say if the person was Deaf, but it was the first time someone using a pager smacked a bus. Most of the other times it's usually someone yapping on a cell or putting on make-up.

Hello all,

I would agree that to a typical hearing person that it is dangerous to use a pager rather than to talk on the phone when one is driving.

However, statistics have shown that there is a trend that is going up that hearing drivers are getting into car accident because they were chatting on the phone.

I frequently use my pager while I am driving. I have no plm with that. I am pretty good at typing out messages while my eyes are on the road. However, if I am driving on a highway with many sharp curves, I will put it down and focus on staying on the road. It only requires common sense to learn to use it and when not to use it.

If Deafies don't want to use the pager while they are driving, that's cool. At times when I want to IM or page someone, I would get a reply that that person is driving. That's okay with me. I can wait.

I have yet met a deaf friend who has gotten into a car accident because of the pager.

As for hearies who use their cellular phones while they are driving are deemed (in my opinion) more dangerous than Deafies who use their pagers. Deafies are better in tune with using their vision than hearies do. Hearies rely more on hearing. If one would need to choose, sight is a better tool to use for driving than hearing.

That’s my 5 cents.

It's very true that the risk for having an accident goes up when a hearingperson is talking on the phone. Without going into a long and boring explanation, it has to do with not being able to split cognitive tasks that require different types of focus.

That what I do!! I always put down "I am busy driving right now. Lv the msgs. Thank you."

I once a while talk on the pager while driving like traffic or stop by the red light. That's it.

oh yeah my friends do put i am driving and not bother me ty in their AIMS in their SKS

i do turn off the aim and put silent mode on my sk2 when i am driving
and ignore it

US drivers and distractions

I have a cell phone, but won't use it while I'm driving. There's NO call that's that important. I'd like to see cell phones while driving banned in as many places as smoking in public. Maybe I'm an old fart, but new technology isn't always 'progress'.

U.S. drivers eat, shave, email -- oh, and drive - Yahoo! News

U.S. drivers eat, shave, email -- oh, and drive
By Andrea Hopkins
Mon Jan 22, 12:23 AM ET

Talk on the phone while you're driving? Fix your makeup? Check e-mail? You're not alone.

A survey released on Monday shows 81 percent of Americans do more than drive when they're behind the wheel.

More than eight of 10 people surveyed by Nationwide Mutual Insurance said they adjust the radio or music while they drive, while 73 percent talk on the phone, 68 percent eat, 19 percent send text messages and 5 percent checked their e-mail.

Personal hygiene was also a big driver distraction, with 19 percent fixing their hair, 12 percent putting on makeup and 2 percent shaving while at the controls of a car.

"Clearly Americans have much to do and little time to do it, so to cope with that we've become multi-taskers," said Bill Windsor, associate vice president of Safety at Nationwide.

"The problem with that is driving requires focus, and multi-tasking while driving puts you and your fellow drivers at risk."

Drivers in the survey also admitted to changing seats with passengers, watching a movie, painting their toenails, nursing a baby and putting in contact lenses while driving.

Younger drivers multi-task the most, the survey found, with 35 percent of 18-to-27 year olds saying they always multi-task in the car, compared to 21 percent of baby boomers.

Windsor said the consequences for young drivers are severe, with car accidents being the number one cause of death for Americans aged 18 to 27.

"The bottom line is if it can be done in the kitchen, bathroom, office or bedroom, it should not be done in the car," Windsor said.

While some U.S. jurisdictions require hands-free devices for cellphone use in cars, most of the activities listed in the survey are not illegal unless they are determined to be the cause of an accident.

The survey of 1,200 drivers between the ages of 18 and 60 found that while 83 percent believe they are safe drivers, 38 percent admitted they have driven a certain distance without any recollection of doing so.

Sandra Guile, spokeswoman for AAA in Cincinnati, said the automobile club's driving instructors have seen it all, and work hard to try to correct the bad habits.

"Imagine if you're going 55 miles an hour down the road and you spill something on your suit and you have a meeting that day -- you're going to be more worried about grabbing a napkin than watching the road," said Guile. "But it just takes a split second to look away and there's an accident."

Cincinnati professor Penny Braboy said that while she never eats or makes phone calls while driving, she does answer the phone if it rings -- and she admits to other distractions.

"I have put on lipstick in the car," Braboy, 55, said with a laugh. "And I might try to look for something in my purse, which I know is dangerous."

But she said her distractions have never caused an accident.

"I try to be careful," said she, getting into her sport utility vehicle, Starbucks coffee in hand.

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

I agree that Sidekick users should turn off or put away message on before driving so the road can be alot more safer for us to drive

But one other thing I hate when I go out with friends, they talk on sidekick or blab on the cell phone. I am like, "Hello, are you paying attention to me?" They should turn it off or leave it in the car hidden somewhere or better yet, leave it at home! It shows me that people have no respect and where's the fun time to hang out together. In a way, technology has robbed us of spending time together and socializing without the use of cell phone or sidekick around. Where's the manner, people???

Hello all,

That’s my 5 cents.

Yeaaa, i know you!! we did to chat on AIM, when we were driving. we knows, it shouldnt used pager during drive.
our Germany would be 40,- Euro punishment. its not cheap for punishment. be careful!! *smile*

Yeaaa, i know you!! we did to chat on AIM, when we were driving. we knows, it shouldnt used pager during drive.
our Germany would be 40,- Euro punishment. its not cheap for punishment. be careful!! *smile*

Exactly...

Yeah EUR40 ($52) penalty fine here in Germany but if there're car accident involved then it will be higher than EUR 40 or lose driver licence (depend on how damage etc accord court...)

I never use mobile phone during driving. I leave mobile phone in my bag while I'm driving. I don't want to pay EUR 40 fine... tooo expensive...... :Ohno:

I have seen Germans use mobile phone while driving... I was like :eek3: and said to myself that they can afford to acheive to pay EUR40 ($52) penalty fine... I wish German law should fix EUR 100, not EUR 40...

Exactly...

Yeah EUR40 ($52) penalty fine here in Germany but if there're car accident involved then it will be higher than EUR 40 or lose driver licence (depend on how damage etc accord court...)

I never use mobile phone during driving. I leave mobile phone in my bag while I'm driving. I don't want to pay EUR 40 fine... tooo expensive...... :Ohno:

I have seen Germans use mobile phone while driving... I was like :eek3: and said to myself that they can afford to acheive to pay EUR40 ($52) penalty fine... I wish German law should fix EUR 100, not EUR 40...

:giggle: you are so funny, what you said to yourself that they can afford to acheive to pay EUR 40...
i agree... i wish too EUR 100, not EUR 40
i did heard maybe that will be punishment high EUR 60 or EUR 80, cuz they still call use mobile Phone during drive. Police did see them of all.

Okay so here is the thing with talking on the phone and driving. I have done it many times and did not come close to an accident. Hearing people talk to the other person in the car all the time and that doesn’t increase the accident rate necessarily. If talking to the person next to you did that there would be a 1000 times more accidents on the road then there are now. The thing though is some people get too involved in the conversation and do not pay attention to the road. I do not use my SK when driving I put my away message that I am driving. I cannot type, read what was said and drive correctly. With all those things going on I don’t think it is safe. It is safer to talk on the phone while driving since hearing people talk while driving. It is pretty safe to sign while driving because you have to look around you and use mirrors anyway so you can just make that as part of you looking around as part of safe driving, (although some one who is new to sign like myself this is difficult still). Some one who has both I would say using your pager while driving is more dangerous.

I'm curious, are you hearing or hard of hearing ?..Southern

For a long time, we have known that deaf drivers are good drivers and rarely get into accidents.

Well, now that many of us have pagers and I know so many deaf people use their pagers to drive. I did that at first but no more..not worth it.

My question is compared to hearing people who chat on the cell phone while driving, are deaf people better or worse drivers while using their pagers?

So far 3 of my friends got into minor accidents while using their pagers. Before pagers became so popular with deaf people, I hadnt met a deaf person who was in an accident by his/her fault..Now, I am hearing of more and more deaf people getting into accidents by their fault. I almost hit a pole while using my pager 3 years ago so that was a wake up call for me so I dont do it anymore.

Hearing people dont need their eyes to communicate on the phone but yes, still distracted but deaf people need their eyes to communicate on the pagers. Does that make us more dangerous?

Well ! Even hearing people can see messages on the phone driving... like us, in France of course, deaf people.
That's dangerous, okay ! We can't stop somewhere for looking at messages...

(Sorry if I didn't understand the phrases... :bowdown: )

There are some hearing people who write awful, and there are some Deafies here in AD that write better than the hearing people. But thanks for saying I write well.

Back