Deaf disapointment

Nusentinsaino

Reaction score
Do you guys ever get disapointed or depressed about your own deafness at one point of a time? :( It happens to me all the time, i would think negatively about myself and feel like i am a retard or un-intelligent since that my speech is fairly poor and most people have a difficult time understanding me.

On the other hand, I am accepted to RIT, and im going there in 6 months (Cant wait!!) I know there are going to be thousands of deaf people that i can make friends with :) There are some times that i have thought to myself... If i was not deaf, i wouldnt be meeting those AWESOME people at EYF (Explore your future at RIT) or have my bestfriend shasta.

Many people would tell me that im "lucky" to be deaf cuz there are "Gay things in the world to hear" lol well actually we are not really lucky to be deaf. I guess i will have to get over it, or listen to some of your opinions on this?

yea sometime i do disapointment abt being deaf.. most time i say that i wish i am hearing and can hear anything.. but i accpeted who am i!!! :D

I often feel disappointed for labeling myself a deaf person where the communities love gossip and try to be stupid etc,(Mind you i am not labelling this as i know most deaf got sense) Most of the people i know doesnt consider me a deaf person specially i can speak and hear very well and doesnt tend to hang around with the deaf community where i tend to hang around with a orally deaf community or from Mary Hare Grammar school, myself i used to go to Bishop vesey Grammar school (hearing Independent school).. Just to mention there is 2 division in UK, one is orally deaf from grammar school or mainstream schools and other is a pro deaf community who from normal deaf school and use sign language than speech... Also been deaf are more likely to have difficulities with job - i often been refused most job due to my deafness specially they doesnt care how much i can hear and how well i can speak, it is not a easy ride for most deaf people after university, specially they dont even care if got 1st or 2nd class degree.. The only solution is be positive and show them you can do it and be proud for what you can achieve!!!

Anyhow i wish all the best for your future at RIT, specially i heard it is a very good uni...

Sometime I feel this way too but it made who we are. We should not be shame of ourself because we are not able to hear.

Congratulation on your way to RIT.

Waz is a moderator??? How many Moderator do we have?

Yeah, I get depressed with my deafness.... my hearing aid battery would go down, and I can;t hear the movie at the theatre. I didn't have an extra battery for me. Awww I was pissed. :pissed:

Congratulation going to RIT, good luck!!!!

I do get depressed of being deaf, because it's harder to get a job when u are deaf. So many jobs require spoken English skills, I would like damn it there goes. That's the biggest reason is the job, so we gotta go over it and accept who we are and move on with it. ;)

deafness eh? its neither a curse nor a blessing you either accept it or dont accept it that s based on life besides deafness help ya sleep better thru the thunderstorms hehehehehehe

Miss*Pinocchio - I don't think so, but he was one a long time ago. He might have forgotten to change his title. :)

You can see the list of Moderators: http://www.alldeaf.com/showgroups.php?

Anyway, back to topic... Yeah, I find it to be very depressing being deaf... I don't really have many deaf friends because of my lack of signing the way deaf people sign. It really doesn't bother me much, because I have many (hearing) friends... :)

I gotta wait 10 more years before i get my hearing back then depression will be over then lil be 53 and ill lie about my age on a job application and ill be hired again.

I've seriously hit some all time lows, thats for sure.

I think its one thing to never know what you're missing, and then another to hear everything and as the years go by, you lose a little bit by little bit. Growing up knowing that all my hearing was going to go away, well yeah that was pretty hard. Especially not knowing when, that frightened me a lot too. There once was a time in my life when all I thought about was "I wish I could hear again." It happens less now, but it still happens.

I get frustrated sometimes with not being able to be involved with what people say, and then that just makes me sad and upset. So in a nutshell, yes, I've been depressed about it.

i have been there many times. on my brighter side, i look up onto my boys. they make me proud. my hubby is going thru that phase right now. I undy.

Best luck at RIT. we both graduated there in 96.

that's normal for hearing impaired *hoh and deaf* .. i went to see my psychologist and told him about my depression being alone , deafness , etc.. so he gave me the medicine .. i took them for up to 3 months.. now i feel good and move on quick . dont worry about the past! just stand up yourself who you are!! and impressive who you are, dont let hearings insult or labeling you cause you are deaf or hoh... let them :eek: one day and they will shock that one of you can impress whatever you doing on your own, like most hearing ppl thinks that deaf people can't do work at jobs , driving cars , movies, go college, etc.. blah blah! Oh pls to hearing people!! they are damn WRONG!! about us! wink!! Please STAND UP YOURSELF AND THINK WHO YOU ARE!!! ignore them!! smile

:ily: TongueOnFire :ily:

3 of my ex hearing friends, they were making fun of me. cause i babysat the kids . i can't hear their voices, screaming, crying! i told them BACK OFF , i can walking backforth , checking on them .. or having special monitor like beep with flash light on it , i can bringing it with me!! something like that, they gasped!!! so they decided to apoloze me for what they done to me.. and they begged me back for friendship so that way i can babysitting them , i told them f*ck off!! i ain't go back to their friendship again!! i can't accept their forgiviness! sowwie!!

TOF

I get disappointed about my deafness when employers reject my application for jobs just because I'm deaf.

Employers just worry too much about communication and how the deaf emloyee is going to settle into a workplace full of hearing people.

Employers are not taught well about deaf people :(

TongueOnFire said:
3 of my ex hearing friends, they were making fun of me. cause i babysat the kids . i can't hear their voices, screaming, crying! i told them BACK OFF , i can walking backforth , checking on them .. or having special monitor like beep with flash light on it , i can bringing it with me!! something like that, they gasped!!! so they decided to apoloze me for what they done to me.. and they begged me back for friendship so that way i can babysitting them , i told them f*ck off!! i ain't go back to their friendship again!! i can't accept their forgiviness! sowwie!!

TOF
true! same here.. i dont have no plms to watch babysitter!!!

Back