Deaf/deaf?

i7717703

Reaction score
I wasn't born with impaired hearing, but as I have got older (im 22) i now have moderate hearing loss...likely to get worse. This may sound dumb or ignorant, but this is the first time I have really looked into D/deaf stuff and i'm just wondering.

Deaf means hearing impaired and also part of the Deaf culture, but deaf means just hearing impaired? (sorry for any offense...i am new to all these terms).

So if i grew up within a Deaf culture (i.e. with other D/deaf people, losing my hearing from a young age etc) does that mean i am Deaf? or just HoH?

Ive only just learnt what CODA means (which I am not) so please please excuse any offensive things I have said (not sure on the lingo). I am only asking in pure innocence, with intent on being more educated.

Dyl :)

From how I understand it, Deaf means you are part of the Deaf Culture and you use sign language as your language.
deaf means you don't use sign language as your first language but speak.

I'm profoundly deaf and speak as my main way of communicating but I also sign, so I see myself as deaf and not hard of hearing or Deaf.

A lot of people use the term hard of hearing when their loss is mild or moderate but not always.

That is an interesting question. I wonder if there are any relationship where one person is deaf and the other is Deaf. They adopt a cat with hearing loss. Does the cat get confused about its identity? Should the cat be labeled as Deaf or deaf?

That is an interesting question. I wonder if there are any relationship where one person is deaf and the other is Deaf. They adopt a cat with hearing loss. Does the cat get confused about its identity? Should the cat be labeled as Deaf or deaf?

Neither. The cat will evolve into a ferret with an extra large colon.

As I understand the terms: deaf-hear nothing/just silence while hearing impaired is any loss up to deafness.
The" label problem" Deaf comes from a "sociological viewpoint" re a "specific culture" re the use of hand signs- ASL/BSL et al plus the belief of being "oppressed by hearing persons one knows" plus being "voice-off".

The major change of Cochlear Implants re:Some hearing-if one is "suitable" has changed the past.

Thus we have persons using a Cochlear Implant without knowing/using any sign communication-ASL/BSL et al Who also don't accept the premise of "deaf culture" but are in fact DEAF. When Implant disconnected-return to being DEAF-silence.

Thus the ongoing "discussion" should hearing parents considered a Cochlear Implant from their young children born deaf?

As can surmised from reading many comments here an ongoing "discussion" in Sociology-"deaf culture".

aside: the author has been bilateral DEAF since December 20.2006

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

drphil said:
As I understand the terms: deaf-hear nothing/just silence while hearing impaired is any loss up to deafness.
The" label problem" Deaf comes from a "sociological viewpoint" re a "specific culture" re the use of hand signs- ASL/BSL et al plus the belief of being "oppressed by hearing persons one knows" plus being "voice-off".

The major change of Cochlear Implants re:Some hearing-if one is "suitable" has changed the past.

Thus we have persons using a Cochlear Implant without knowing/using any sign communication-ASL/BSL et al Who also don't accept the premise of "deaf culture" but are in fact DEAF. When Implant disconnected-return to being DEAF-silence.

Thus the ongoing "discussion" should hearing parents considered a Cochlear Implant from their young children born deaf?

As can surmised from reading many comments here an ongoing "discussion" in Sociology-"deaf culture".

aside: the author has been bilateral DEAF since December 20.2006

Let me see if I got this cochlear implant right, they said, they are considered Deaf not deaf? Help me out here.

To my knowledge , D/deaf big D cultural and meaning voice off. Little d was like sign and voice, kind of like mainstream so to speak.

The" binary straight jacket" re "deaf/Deaf" from the "deaf culture supposition" c might be obviated by use of capital DEAF. Being DEAF is real and not a discussion point re: deaf culture.
Thus seems that Cochlear Implants has altered somewhat the past discussion on the matter. Assuming one doesn'T "desire" to "learn/use" ASL et al.
Thus the ongoing discussion on this matter-Sociology."culture":wave:

I have found it very difficult at time in either "world/community" i am deaf. I have always had a complete hearing loss in one ear and nothing was ever done for it...and i over my lifetime have lost almost all the other ears hearing.....i now after years of hearing nothing have a baha implant....i hate having to tell people i am deaf, they always look at me with disbelief, because i can talk Very clearly most of the time....i am me...i dont like to lable myself...because i live in that world "in between "

Deaf=culture; deaf=medical.

I consider myself deaf. Not Deaf, and most definitely not HoH (although some local Deaf folks will say I'm hoh as I use a hearing aid and CI, but I don't think myself as hoh).

I probably speak for many others if you don't need to say hearing impaired...many find that offensive whether your are Deaf/deaf or HOH.

Will the "straight jacket" binary re Hearing/ deaf be obviated in the world outside Sociology? Thus will the Term DEAF be accepted to indicate some non using ASL et al persons with Cochlear Implants?
Hope springs eternal!
Cheers

Will the "straight jacket" binary re Hearing/ deaf be obviated in the world outside Sociology? Thus will the Term DEAF be accepted to indicate some non using ASL et al persons with Cochlear Implants?
Hope springs eternal!
Cheers

or you could call them hearing

Deaf = (sub)culture; deaf = medical view.

Being Deaf doesn't require you have no CI or HA. :)

Wirelessly posted

Let me see if I got this cochlear implant right, they said, they are considered Deaf not deaf? Help me out here.

To my knowledge , D/deaf big D cultural and meaning voice off. Little d was like sign and voice, kind of like mainstream so to speak.

Voice off is not a requirement for Deaf Culture.

In the "cultural configuration" a hearing person can be "considered a member of the Deaf community" if one uses signs- ASL et al which why one doesn't required a Cochlear Implant or Hearing aid to be so classified.
Thus the "interesting discussion- non medical deafness".

I picked this up here in AllDeaf.com since joining almost 3 years ago.

Life is confusing/annoying/complicated enough to explain to the great unwashed without 'non-medical Deafness' (capital D for someone who is culturally but not medically) to add to the list!

Is this discussion within the ambit of "deaf culture" real to "most hearing people"?
Ask people you know if they are part of "hearing culture"? I have-no one has every heard of hearing as a "culture".

Does this suggest perhaps only a discussion on computers- with not much in the real world?
Excluding Sociology where one can get "excited" about anything in so far as labelled "culture".

First off, Ignore anything DrPhil says as he has no clue what he is babbling about and even made up his own descriptor of himself spelling DEAF in all caps... He also hates Culturally Deaf persons.. See my sig.

In the simplest form, those who use sign language as their primary language are generally part of Deaf culture and refer to themselves as Deaf with a capital D. Siblings, children, close friends of Deaf persons who are also fluent in sign language are also part of Deaf Culture.
Like any other culture it is composed of persons with a common language such as ASL in the USA, shared history, experience, traditions etc... It has nothing to do with if a Deaf person uses their voice or not! You can also be a part of multiple cultures... so yes one can be part of Hearing and Deaf culture in the right circumstances.

B.A Deaf Studies CSU Northridge, 1993.

Irony: ignored his own advice!

Cheers from a bilateral DEAF person.

Back