Deaf,deaf, or HOH

hurleysrus

Reaction score
Is this site for all or only Deaf?

"I suppose one of my biggest pet peeves is when folks start dictating to someone who shares a diagnosis how they MUST go about treating that disease or disorder. Just because something works well for YOU, does not mean it will work well for someone else. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be willing to tell our story and share what works for us. Peer networks and support groups are invaluable in my opinion." — via SayWhatClub, A Worldwide Forum for People with Hearing Loss

Why is what?
Are you asking why I am asking who the group is for or why the peeve?

This forum seems a little one sided and judgemental. Its OK though. I see how people can be happy with their decisions but for example yellow shirts look good on my sister because she has a great tan but yellow makes me look sick. Some people can be Deaf and happy but some people can't assimilate to the Deaf culture and are only deaf and get critized but hearing for being deaf and criticized by Deaf for not Deaf but deaf

Same thing for out in reality how people treat other people. Keep calm and ignore people . :)

Lots of hearing people keep telling me that I should get CI. I just nodded at them with big smile on my face. :dunno2: I ask you, why is that hearing people tell me what to do with my hearing ability?

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Hearing people can be ignorant and think that they want to change our Deaf Culture so that we all can be oral like them. We are still trying to teach them but they can also be so stubborn in their own way. I am being happy being deaf and love to be involve in Deaf Community. That is the reason why we have AllDeaf to teach hearing people about our deafness and our Deaf Culture so that we can sign away with our ASL. ASL rocks!!!!!!! :rockon:

Enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Same thing for out in reality how people treat other people. Keep calm and ignore people . :)

Lots of hearing people keep telling me that I should get CI. I just nodded at them with big smile on my face. :dunno2: I ask you, why is that hearing people tell me what to do with my hearing ability?

Exactly my point... I won't implant my daughter unless she tells me she wants it, however I don't know how I got along for so long without mine. I am happy with my implants but would never tell someone they should. If asked I will tell my experience but would never say you need to be like me. Be the best you can be and still be happy with yourself, I say

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Hearing people can be ignorant and think that they want to change our Deaf Culture so that we all can be oral like them. We are still trying to teach them but they can also be so stubborn in their own way. I am being happy being deaf and love to be involve in Deaf Community. That is the reason why we have AllDeaf to teach hearing people about our deafness and our Deaf Culture so that we can sign away with our ASL. ASL rocks!!!!!!! :rockon:

Enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Thanks for the welcome! I have yet to learn ASL, as it is not offered in my area.... I have to go 2 hours away for it and books don't seem to teach well. But my daughter is slowly learning and we are trying to get local schools to teach. That being said I want to be apart of EVERY community I can but seem to be stuck more inbetween

Ok, first of all,

WELCOME.

Im sorry to know that you feel that way about inbetween those worlds. I hope you will find someone who is the similiar experiences as you do. But you know you are not alone to feel that way. There are some members on forum here who have the similiar experiences as yours.

Keep reading every threads and will find it something that interest you.. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I have yet to learn ASL, as it is not offered in my area.... I have to go 2 hours away for it and books don't seem to teach well. But my daughter is slowly learning and we are trying to get local schools to teach. That being said I want to be apart of EVERY community I can but seem to be stuck more inbetween

Very common experiance. Not everyone fits neatly into little groups.....there's always been some signficent crossover etc.....
And yes there's a lot of debate etc....but you get that in virtually ALL social groups........it's not just Deafies!

Thanks for the welcome! I have yet to learn ASL, as it is not offered in my area.... I have to go 2 hours away for it and books don't seem to teach well. But my daughter is slowly learning and we are trying to get local schools to teach. That being said I want to be apart of EVERY community I can but seem to be stuck more in between

distance now can be bridged via the net. find an ASL buddy. one for your daughter maybe same range. just start using the language daily. if you don't even know a sign start gaining and using the vocab. you can certainly go far now with ASL online. in not better then in person. but its a hell of allot better then nothing.
you will be surprised.
do your daughter a favor, and yourself one too. Learn ASL
You can do it

distance now can be bridged via the net. find an ASL buddy. one for your daughter maybe same range. just start using the language daily. if you don't even know a sign start gaining and using the vocab. you can certainly go far now with ASL online. in not better then in person. but its a hell of allot better then nothing.
you will be surprised.
do your daughter a favor, and yourself one too. Learn ASL
You can do it

Thank you for the kind and courteous response. She is teaching me as she learns, but we still finger spell mostly. I didn't mean I won't learn, I know some but didn't want the misconception that I am fluent. I am working the bride but thought some people aren't even aware there IS a bridge.

Thank you for the kind and courteous response. She is teaching me as she learns, but we still finger spell mostly. I didn't mean I won't learn, I know some but didn't want the misconception that I am fluent. I am working the bride but thought some people aren't even aware there IS a bridge.

Many of us here did walk that bridge....Very few of us grew up Deaf positive

The last time I saw an audiologist (not my usual one) I was told off severely for not wearing my hearing aids all the time. She said I should sleep wearing them even. I asked her to activate the mute setting in them so that I don't have to open the battery door and turn the aids off that way to avoid having to hear a screaming child in a supermarket queue and the suchlike. Her response was that I should be glad I have technology to give me closer to normal hearing and that I should learn to love the whole spectrum of sounds that normal people can hear, including the screaming brat. I was literally ripped a new one just because of that.

I left the appointment shaken and upset. How dare anyone tell me I have to sleep with hearing aids in. And how dare anyone tell me to keep my cats out of the bedroom so that they don't damage my aids while I sleep. Usually I put the aids in if I go out of the house or if someone is coming to our house. My best friend who I live with has no problem with speaking loud and clear and touching me to get my attention.

I don't know why it's such a crime to like things the way they are without a lot of noise.

The last time I saw an audiologist (not my usual one) I was told off severely for not wearing my hearing aids all the time. She said I should sleep wearing them even. I asked her to activate the mute setting in them so that I don't have to open the battery door and turn the aids off that way to avoid having to hear a screaming child in a supermarket queue and the suchlike. Her response was that I should be glad I have technology to give me closer to normal hearing and that I should learn to love the whole spectrum of sounds that normal people can hear, including the screaming brat. I was literally ripped a new one just because of that.

I left the appointment shaken and upset. How dare anyone tell me I have to sleep with hearing aids in. And how dare anyone tell me to keep my cats out of the bedroom so that they don't damage my aids while I sleep. Usually I put the aids in if I go out of the house or if someone is coming to our house. My best friend who I live with has no problem with speaking loud and clear and touching me to get my attention.

I don't know why it's such a crime to like things the way they are without a lot of noise.

She sounds jealous that you can block out sounds that she can't. Very jealous.

Sleeping with your hearing aids isn't good because for me, my ears hurts from pressing against the pillow, is uncomfortable and also causes feedback too.

Ignore her comments and do what you want to do. It works for you and it is a good thing that we can block out sounds if we want to. That's the benefit of being deaf/hoh.

I learn new things every day. I think it is a must to find an audiologist who likes cats.

My usual one does and so does her receptionist. We took my best friend's ragdoll kitten there when we were going to a vet appt the same day and the staff totally loved the kitten.

That new audiologist is very Audist. She should never spoke to you like that. That hurts. Yes, you can wear your hearing aids any time you feel like wearing it and no, you can not go to bed with your hearing aids on. Take your hearing aids off. Oh, that audiologist was very mean and not very graceful with customers when dealing with hearing issues.

I don't know if that is jealous or just want you to be normal like her and every hearing person who desire to be hearing. They probably don't believe that the cochlear was not that bad and believe that the hearing aids including CI will bring hearing 100%. If you wear hearing aids all the time saying that they will increase your hearing better. You will be able to pick up words. All of that is not true to the sense of the words of what the audiologist is dreaming or hoping that every deaf can hear with the help of devices for better sounds. That is their hearing perspective. They don't listen to our d/Deaf perspective at all. They refuse to listen to our needs at all. :(

Back