Deaf Culture (Questions to a person who mainstreamed in a public school)

sister1

Reaction score
Hi I am a college student taking a college Corse (ASL Culture Class). I am majoring in childhood education. My ASL class has been one of the most influential classes that I have taken. I was wondering if someone could please help me with an interview assignment, to ask a deaf person who mainstreamed in a public school. I have some questions to ask. If anyone feels that these questions are offensive, I do not mean them to be in any way. Thank you if you choose to respond.. :)

1. How do you communicate?
2. If you went to school, what was your experience like?
3. How you communicate with other people who don't know ASL?
4. What do you enjoy doing?
5. If you could tell the hearing culture something about your culture what would it be?

see book - "Alone in the Mainstream - a Deaf Woman Remembers Public School" by Gina Olivia

Looks like the due dates for Fall quarter assignments are fast approaching again!:lol:

Hi I am a college student taking a college Corse (ASL Culture Class). I am majoring in childhood education. My ASL class has been one of the most influential classes that I have taken. I was wondering if someone could please help me with an interview assignment, to ask a deaf person who mainstreamed in a public school. I have some questions to ask. If anyone feels that these questions are offensive, I do not mean them to be in any way. Thank you if you choose to respond.. :)

1. How do you communicate?
2. If you went to school, what was your experience like?
3. How you communicate with other people who don't know ASL?
4. What do you enjoy doing?
5. If you could tell the hearing culture something about your culture what would it be?

I communicate by talking or by signing (now) :). It was hard I dont remember much. I read lips as much as I could/can. I also remember classmates telling me that I would ask them what was said all the time. I talk to other people who do not sign. I enjoy spending time around people, watching movies, listening to music (feeling the vibration is great), photography, and being outdoors. I would tell the hearing community that they should get to know us as individuals and try to understand what our needs are.

see book - "Alone in the Mainstream - a Deaf Woman Remembers Public School" by Gina Olivia

i know that book, not a bad book i wish they'd make it a compulsory subject or as a 'project topic' for the month or two for every d/Deaf students to write a large essay in pairs or teams or even individually but in such a way its more critical to give a 'voice' to those stuck in the middle. We already have a political movements for those want to sign, but none for those in the world of hearing aids and speech....

Back