Deaf Culture Question

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
Okay, there is a situtation that happened few days ago that caused me to ask for your opinion (both deafies and hearing). I wanted to know if what I am feeling is "deaf common" or that its biased.

We were in a car, there is 3 deafies and 1 hearing. Two deafies sitting front and one hearies/one deafies sitting in the back. ALL (including hearing) know sign language. On the way to a place, two that sit in the back (remember, both deaf and hearing) decided that they want to do a private conversation, so they communicate to each other by whisper with their hand covering the mouth. I was disturbed by that. So after we dropped that hearing person off and come home. We parked a couple of block away from home because of the stupid parking rules, anyway... On way walking home, I expressed my feeling, and the deaf that whisper was like "This is a private conversion, I can do whatever I can do to keep it private, even if be done via verbal." I was like, you knew sign language, and the hearing person knew sign language, it needed to be treated as it is a deaf enivorment, like if you want to talk private, do it where people dont see you guys.

So i give you two perspective:

Their- Within the boundary of the word "private" meaning that whatsoever information was being carried between 2 individuals is their business only. Meaning that whatever mode of conversation (talking or signing) is up to them and should not offend any culture since it is secret.

My- In a deaf environment, regardless of their mode of conversation (suppose that all knew sign language) they are required to use sign language although they could sign small or talk to each other in a different room if want to done privately. By doing this, would ensure respect for the deaf community.

Thanks for reading and please reply!

NW

Personally, I would find it rude but there's nothing I can do about it. If that deaf person is really your friend, then he would listen to your feeling and try not to do that in front of you again.

NightwarriorJin said:
Okay, there is a situtation that happened few days ago that caused me to ask for your opinion (both deafies and hearing). I wanted to know if what I am feeling is "deaf common" or that its biased.

We were in a car, there is 3 deafies and 1 hearing. Two deafies sitting front and one hearies/one deafies sitting in the back. ALL (including hearing) know sign language. On the way to a place, two that sit in the back (remember, both deaf and hearing) decided that they want to do a private conversation, so they communicate to each other by whisper with their hand covering the mouth. I was disturbed by that. So after we dropped that hearing person off and come home. We parked a couple of block away from home because of the stupid parking rules, anyway... On way walking home, I expressed my feeling, and the deaf that whisper was like "This is a private conversion, I can do whatever I can do to keep it private, even if be done via verbal." I was like, you knew sign language, and the hearing person knew sign language, it needed to be treated as it is a deaf enivorment, like if you want to talk private, do it where people dont see you guys.

So i give you two perspective:

Their- Within the boundary of the word "private" meaning that whatsoever information was being carried between 2 individuals is their business only. Meaning that whatever mode of conversation (talking or signing) is up to them and should not offend any culture since it is secret.

My- In a deaf environment, regardless of their mode of conversation (suppose that all knew sign language) they are required to use sign language although they could sign small or talk to each other in a different room if want to done privately. By doing this, would ensure respect for the deaf community.

Thanks for reading and please reply!

NW

it is considered very rude.. regardless of being deaf or not.. if you need to talk in private.. go elsewhere... i was taught this way by my hearing parents.. it is all about having manners/etiquete (sp?) ... nothing to do with deaf culture or not..

interesting. from what i understand, i think this is your opinion and its how you feel what it should be done in a manner way. i agreed with your opinion, what your friend did was rude. it can be done privately. this is not happening often between deaf and hearings. ive experienced that with my own hearing friends who knew sign language, we'd whisper in front of other hearings who knew sign language. d'oh, i didnt think what i did was rude til now lol!
just be politely ask to do that other place.

Alex said:
Personally, I would find it rude but there's nothing I can do about it. If that deaf person is really your friend, then he would listen to your feeling and try not to do that in front of you again.

thats right!! if he or she was a true friend.. he or she would be sensitive to your feelings and respect it instead of getting defensive or getting all cocky about it..

Okay, thanks for all of your replies. I have a quick question, is the first "perspective" a valid perspective for the deaf community, or is it still not apporiate enough to be consider as a valid one. Please reply, and even if you agree with others, still, please reply and state your opinion. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
NightwarriorJin said:
Okay, thanks for all of your replies. I have a quick question, is the first "perspective" a valid perspective for the deaf community, or is it still not apporiate enough to be consider as a valid one. Please reply, and even if you agree with others, still, please reply and state your opinion. Thanks!!!

i am not sure i am understanding what you are trying to come across or trying to ask us? :confused:

in other word is "I am trying to have a private conversation" a valid excuse for using voice to whisper with other people in front of deafies

NightwarriorJin said:
in other word is "I am trying to have a private conversation" a valid excuse for using voice to whisper with other people in front of deafies

it is still considered rude.. period! like i said.. if you need to have a private conversation.. go somewhere private.. it doesnt matter if you are deaf or not.. or know asl or not... are you digging me??

NightwarriorJin said:

Lets reverse the culture role, suppose you were with 3 hearing people and were forced to talk to respect the hearing community, how will you feel?

I'm also keeping in mind that they were in the backseat of a car, thats considered semi-private, expecting the driver to drive and the shotgun to enjoy his/her view in the car. It depends on the situtation when I am a shotgun and engage a converstation with the people in the backseat.

hope it helps-

If I KNEW how to voice, i will use my voice instead of ASL. I mean, if all the people know one communication, then that communcation should be used. We all know that if hearing dont "involve" us, then we wont be likely to hang out with them because we HATE the feeling of being left out. (of course, experience varies, like oral will be cool, while DEAF without be able to speak will feel left out)

zesty said:
it is still considered rude.. period! like i said.. if you need to have a private conversation.. go somewhere private.. it doesnt matter if you are deaf or not.. or know asl or not... are you digging me??
I agree. That applies for Deaf, hearing, and people speaking foreign languages. No private conversations when you are in a social group. Save it for later.

My sister and I are both hearies and are learning sign, we talk in the car and stuff in sign language and don't voice, sometimes our family gets mad about telling secrets in front of them. I think it is rude in any culture and try not to do it.

i concur with the previous posters -- it IS rude! the person(s) could have waited til later at the right time to be speaking to another in private

Back