Deaf Culture Paper

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
I have to write a paper about some aspect of Deaf Culture, history, ASL, etc.

Any suggestions?

I considered doing the CI debate-- or ASL vs. Oralism... but I feel like those are so overdone.

I wanted to do the portrayal of d/Deaf in the media (like all the crime shows in the past year with Deaf actors, the murder has always had something to do with CIs), but I don't think there are enough resources.

Thoughts?

Well it seems like right now the hearing culture are raving how we deaf can dance (thanks to Marlee Matlin) *rolling my eyes* There are many deaf people who are brilliant and talented dancers. Some make a living out of it.

Most hearing people assume that you need to hear music in order to be a good dancer - but what about vibrations? It goes a long way.

Just a suggestion......

Yeah, I agree. I like Marlee Matlin as much as the next person I suppose.. but all those commercials that were like "She will dance... but she can't hear the music!"
..like that was supposed to be some big shock... it was just too much..

You're right, those two topics are overdone.

It's two of the most-heated discussions among the deaf community.

Try something that will really benefit people. How about Deaf Culture and Employment? (This was my thesis paper. A lot of interesting information!)

Talking about CI and Oralism doesn't benefit anyone. It simply points out the differences.

You're right, those two topics are overdone.

It's two of the most-heated discussions among the deaf community.

Try something that will really benefit people. How about Deaf Culture and Employment? (This was my thesis paper. A lot of interesting information!)

Talking about CI and Oralism doesn't benefit anyone. It simply points out the differences.

Vampy is right - CI and Oralism is so overrated and merely reminds everyone of differences.

There is a lot of statistics and data on employment but dry yes.

Vampy is right - CI and Oralism is so overrated and merely reminds everyone of differences.

There is a lot of statistics and data on employment but dry yes.
While the statistics may seem dry, it does show that more research needs to be done.

A few things to look into are accommodations, needs, ADA, communication, etc...

My thesis project for this subject was over 100 pages (I think).

While the statistics may seem dry, it does show that more research needs to be done.

A few things to look into are accommodations, needs, ADA, communication, etc...

My thesis project for this subject was over 100 pages (I think).

I hear you

Im more fascinated about why deaf people in general wont give up their SSI or SSDI and work part time. I find it a huge cop out - is SSI or SSDI their security blanket? I hire people so I am constantly asked by many whether they could just make enough under 900 a month so they can keep their SSDI or SSI.

I hear you

Im more fascinated about why deaf people in general wont give up their SSI or SSDI and work part time. I find it a huge cop out - is SSI or SSDI their security blanket? I hire people so I am constantly asked by many whether they could just make enough under 900 a month so they can keep their SSDI or SSI.
That's part of the problem with America's minimum wage system.

Nowadays, the cost of living is getting so high that people need more money in order to get by. Considering how hard it is for deaf people to get a good-paying job, they find it easier and/or better to simply get a part-time job and collect SSI/SSDI.

So, in a way... I don't blame them for wanting to do it that way. :(

That's part of the problem with America's minimum wage system.

Nowadays, the cost of living is getting so high that people need more money in order to get by. Considering how hard it is for deaf people to get a good-paying job, they find it easier and/or better to simply get a part-time job and collect SSI/SSDI.

So, in a way... I don't blame them for wanting to do it that way. :(

Good point but it does hinder them from climbing up the ladder - they will always be stuck and barely making a decent living. Where is pride?

Good point but it does hinder them from climbing up the ladder - they will always be stuck and barely making a decent living. Where is pride?
A lot of deafies lose their pride when they are unable to go up the ladder.

I know some deafies who have spent 10 to 20 years just to go up a rung or two on the ladder.

I read an article in the newspaper saying that more and more companies are now considering 40 hours as "part time" and expect their employees to work at least 50 hours in order to maintain "full time" status. With this as a problem, a lot of parents are choosing part-time jobs over full time since they can collect SSI/SSDI and still be home for their kids.

A lot of deafies lose their pride when they are unable to go up the ladder.

I know some deafies who have spent 10 to 20 years just to go up a rung or two on the ladder.

I read an article in the newspaper saying that more and more companies are now considering 40 hours as "part time" and expect their employees to work at least 50 hours in order to maintain "full time" status. With this as a problem, a lot of parents are choosing part-time jobs over full time since they can collect SSI/SSDI and still be home for their kids.

Yikes! I put in 50 to 60 hours a week but I am fortunate to have excellent child care for my girls.

Better not kidnap this thread :giggle: but hey morpho, here you go - this could make a good topic for your class :) Best of luck :fingersx:

Here is a suggestion. I wrote lots of papers on ASL literature - such as comparing the oral traditional stories of the slaves to the oral (not as in speaking but as in telling a story from one generation to another) traditional stories in ASL. There were a lot of striking similiarities between the those two styles of oral literature. For example, in most traditional slave narratives, the stories start out as - I was born a slave (or I was born as a free man)...in ASL, the stories start out as I was born deaf (or I was born hearing but became deaf because...). I think this paper was eventually published, but I'm not for sure.

Or you can discuss the life of deaf and hearing people during the time that deaf culture was flourishing at Martha's Vineyard and compare it to nowdays. You might even bring up the topic about retirement community homes for deaf people, which is in a crisis in many states. The story of Martha's Vineyard is my all time favorite topic because I find it so interesting.

I would study the media in general. Just randomly search newspaper and magazine articles and see how many positive vs negative images of Deafness there are.

Any suggestions?

I considered doing the CI debate-- or ASL vs. Oralism... but I feel like those are so overdone.

I wanted to do the portrayal of d/Deaf in the media (like all the crime shows in the past year with Deaf actors, the murder has always had something to do with CIs), but I don't think there are enough resources.

Thoughts?

:type:use Google and you'll get plenty info.

Any suggestions?

Thoughts?

I agree with u..the CI debate or ASL vs. Oralism is getting old and nothing productive really comes out of it.

Back