Deaf culture as point of pride? It’s more a curse

Besides, a majority of people wouldn't know that when Lane make comments like "deaf mothers want deaf babies", he's only talking about the "Deaf". They'll probably just assume he's talking for or about "all of the deaf people".

Those people would simply be wrong for failing to actually read his writing, rather than assuming they know the full depth of his understanding from a short interview.

Also, having read the initial article as well as the response, it's striking that the original article made a very strong distinction between "hereditary deaf" (ie Deaf) and late-deafened (ie deaf), while the response does not make this distinction. Looks like a case of "not understanding the initially intended message", combined with a predisposition to viewing deafness as a defect (due to having had access to it for the rest of his life).

Even in that case, some of the deaf has also had some experience with the Deaf, myself included! ;)

Besides, a majority of people wouldn't know that when Lane make comments like "deaf mothers want deaf babies", he's only talking about the "Deaf". They'll probably just assume he's talking for or about "all of the deaf people".

You, quite obviously, have no concept of Deaf Culture or you would not be so confused in the way you attempt to define it.

Anyone who reads Lane with comprehension understands that he is talking about the Deaf. Maybe you should try reading him sometime. With comprehension.

I liked this thread, and I'll read all of the Harlan Lane's book when I am ready for that :).

I was born as deaf and it have always been a curse.
On the other side it's a blessing, who created me as the person as I am now. :)

That 85 year old dude didn't be LD long enought to overcome his issues and learning to accept his loss, it didn't need to be a loss because one can grow as a human being by a grave loss. That's a wonderful gift very few peoples experiences, I am beginning to understand that. :D

I have wondered what would happen to a deaf person if he or she'll loose that identity, it seems that many peoples need a identity, something to make them relax, something that they have common with somebody. I couldn't relate to that illusion, I was always uncomfortable with deafies and hearies. I just wanted to be, just being a Red Dwarf. :giggle:

I liked this thread, and I'll read all of the Harlan Lane's book when I am ready for that :).

I was born as deaf and it have always been a curse.
On the other side it's a blessing, who created me as the person as I am now. :)

That 85 year old dude didn't be LD long enought to overcome his issues and learning to accept his loss, it didn't need to be a loss because one can grow as a human being by a grave loss. That's a wonderful gift very few peoples experiences, I am beginning to understand that. :D

I have wondered what would happen to a deaf person if he or she'll loose that identity, it seems that many peoples need a identity, something to make them relax, something that they have common with somebody. I couldn't relate to that illusion, I was always uncomfortable with deafies and hearies. I just wanted to be, just being a Red Dwarf. :giggle:

You will get a lot from Lane's books. You are already insightful and understanding of the message he gives.

Ditto. What I also don't like is "problem" in his quote. Because I'm deaf, I have a problem?

Well of course you do! You are deaf for Heaven's sake!!! That is a huge problem...you have to live in silence and you can't communicate with 99% of the world!!

(Sorry, my sarcasm is at full throttle tonight for some reason.:P)

Well of course you do! You are deaf for Heaven's sake!!! That is a huge problem...you have to live in silence and you can't communicate with 99% of the world!!

(Sorry, my sarcasm is at full throttle tonight for some reason.:P)

:lol: At least you are communicating with 1% of the world!

Ditto. What I also don't like is "problem" in his quote. Because I'm deaf, I have a problem?

That's why the Deaf clash with the deaf too often. Deaf people dont see deafness as a problem while deaf do.

Surely you are not suggesting that an entire community of people bullied this man? If he had problems with one or two other individuals, then it has virtually nothing to do with anyone but those individuals.

However, there is no indication that he has been bullied. His opinions are clearly stated. His opinions are regarding the tradgedy of deafness. That is what makes his attitude so apparent.

And, if he were, he is obviously a blunt and outspoken man who made a career of telling people off and where to go. ;)

It really does bother me when people express that they pray their children not be deaf.

It really does bother me when people express that they pray their children not be deaf.

I found out according to this study, 6% of people in Deaf or deaf people in communities want their children to be hearing. I guess that would translate to a few of the frequent posters around here having that opinion. On the contrary, 15% of Deaf expressed wanting their children to be Deaf! Not sure what to say..:shock:

I found out according to this study, 6% of people in Deaf or deaf people in communities want their children to be hearing. I guess that would translate to a few of the frequent posters around here having that opinion. On the contrary, 15% of Deaf expressed wanting their children to be Deaf! Not sure what to say..:shock:

I never wished for either one. Just good health. At the moment it is back to looking like my almost two year old granddaughter is HOH.

Either way she is a perfect child to me.

Another thing I forgot to mention, depending on her assessments and how the future goes, there is a good deaf magnet program in my city, where ASL is used and other students in the school get the opportunity to learn ASL so they can interact with deaf students.

So the idea in the original post could eventually be moot and everyone could interact.

Back