Deaf culture and Sensory issues

fishycracker

Reaction score
I'm a hoh person learning ASL. I lost most of my hearing in my left hear at 7 and still live as a hearing person. I started learning ASL because it's always been an interest and my school offered it starting my senior year. I also have sensory issues due to my genetic disorder and hate being touched unless I feel a connection to someone and they have consent. I'm mostly ok with little kids (I cope better with them because I love kids and knowthey don't understand) but I it's different with adults. Since Deaf culture involves a smaller personal bubble, I've hesitated going to Deaf events. Does anyone who has sensory processing disorder or anything that causes sensory issues or know someone that does have any advice on how to cope with this? I really want to be more involved in Deaf culture but this is an obstacle for me.

I have auditory processing disorder but they didn't catch it until I was 18. So I have been living in the hearing world being told I was just fine and only had mild hearing loss. When I was 18 they told me I had apd they re did my hearing test and found that I have moderate to server hearing loss and apd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I also have possible APD and learning disabiklities but have no issues with tactile or with close personal space <actually tend to be a "huggy" person if the other doesn't mind>.
am wondering if you could simply go to an event and explain.....

I've heard Deaf events have a lot of bumping into people which is my biggest concern. If I tell people about my sensory issues they are usually good about touching me. I would feel most comfortable talking to people in an open area. If people know, they are usually understanding but it's the bumping into people and small bubbles I'm worried about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

I've heard Deaf events have a lot of bumping into people which is my biggest concern. If I tell people about my sensory issues they are usually good about touching me. I would feel most comfortable talking to people in an open area. If people know, they are usually understanding but it's the bumping into people and small bubbles I'm worried about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

Would it help to wear a dress jacket to soften the bumping into you?

A dress jacket won't help soften the bumping into her- that's not the issue. With a sensory disorder and with the OP I read it as- the person doesn't want to be touched- no matter WHAT they are wearing. Perhaps the best thing to do is maybe stay in one particular area so you aren't moving around as much as others and plot your course that way so that there is a minimum of 'bumping'.

fishycracker- I can't help much as I haven't been to any deaf events in years until last month. I think I was ready to go home after a short time as I am not fond of crowds and tend to be an introvert. I think what you are doing now- letting people know is a good start.

I think one of my friends who is on the asperger's spectrum doesn't like to be touched and I know he used to go to some deaf events (he's hearing and took ASL in high school). Will have to ask him.

fishycrackers- I sent you a PM with some tips from my friend.

Last edited:
one thing I just thought of is if you could go to t-shirt printing place and get something put on the shirt <it would be direct, too and most of time ini my experience, Deaf are pretty direct, it's part of the culture> , it will be visually obvious too for most at the event - if you did that, you'd just have to make sure to get a plain shirt so the printing would stand out well and not have dangling stuff like jewlrey hanging down.

I know they have similar shirts and attachments to use with dogs who are shy and I've considered using for them for the people-wary dogs I've had.

Don't know if you're on the Spectrum but I did happen to find these shirts: http://tinyurl.com/pb3x3p2

Last edited:
In the event the event is a more formal type affair (business casual to formal type that don't allow for T-Shirt) or if they don't like t-shirts, a button would do the trick as well.

The tips I sent to her were ones that can possibly ease things on her end as well so the feelings aren't as intense in a situation like that.

Lots of luck fishycrackers- am rooting for you.

one thing I just thought of is if you could go to t-shirt printing place and get something put on the shirt <it would be direct, too and most of time ini my experience, Deaf are pretty direct, it's part of the culture> , it will be visually obvious too for most at the event - if you did that, you'd just have to make sure to get a plain shirt so the printing would stand out well and not have dangling stuff like jewlrey hanging down.

I know they have similar shirts and attachments to use with dogs who are shy and I've considered using for them for the people-wary dogs I've had.

Don't know if you're on the Spectrum but I did happen to find these shirts: http://tinyurl.com/pb3x3p2

CafePress lets you design and print singular shirts, so that might be a good place to go. You have lots of good ideas!

I've been to lots of deaf events, and I don't recall a lot of bumping into each other. Maybe because most of the events I attended involved sitting at tables and eating, or sitting in audiences being entertained.

It would probably be useful to have a "battle plan" ready and rehearsed. That is, know the layout of the venue (for comfortable positioning), the types of activities taking place, and practicing how to handle uncomfortable situations. Try not to place yourself in the middle of action, and have ready a mental script of explaining your situation to others. If possible, use the furniture as barriers (standing behind a chair or next to a table so physical access to you is limited).

Sometimes props work. When I used to interpret at a certain very crowded middle school, I would get bumped into by students who were like a herd of stampeding cattle when changing classes. I learned to hold a notebook in front of me with my elbows pointed out, and then I could smoothly plow thru the crowd.

I'm not telling you to do that exactly but just to show that you can be creative with coping skills. :)

I not been in situations with bumping just touch shoulder and chain up to what ever I wanted or speak to all polite but I don't like crowds keep away from them.I have seen people freeze up I put myself in positions no one needs touch me and people should not be in your body space.Think reb got it right stick elbows out plough though.I always do mental map of doors etc and aim to sit down.been years since went to any events and have no desire to go to anything like that again but most deaf events I don't recall bumping .apart from theatre keep husband company he makes sure we sit by the wall I wait for everyone to go before I go.
I hate flying that free for all getting on plane or getting tube train I make sure I never travel in rush hour but I think most human race don't like that.If deaf events as dm says deaf are blunt and respect your problem but would others if you in public people can be cruel...I would only wear them at deaf event..They are good idea though.If person blind or can't read you have accept be problem for them aswel.
hope you can come to terms and find right path asked autistic charity they should have ideas to

HI there. I know this is a very old post, but I'm new to alldeaf forums, and I thought I could give you some suggestions if you are still in need of them. I am someone who is Deaf and I also have autism. I am fine when people touch me when they are conversing with me, however, I CANNOT stand it when people tap my shoulder to get my attention. Like if they were behind me, and I couldn't see them. So when I meet other Deaf people for the first time, I ask them politely that if they want to get my attention, they need to wave their hands somewhere within my vision. Since the Pittsburgh Deaf community is quite small, most people know that I am Deaf+ (someone who is Deaf and has other special needs). Just know that most Deaf people are very open.

hey, Candi, some good ideas from a personal perspective - and I wanted to tell you I like your avatar!

HI there. I know this is a very old post, but I'm new to alldeaf forums, and I thought I could give you some suggestions if you are still in need of them. I am someone who is Deaf and I also have autism. I am fine when people touch me when they are conversing with me, however, I CANNOT stand it when people tap my shoulder to get my attention. Like if they were behind me, and I couldn't see them. So when I meet other Deaf people for the first time, I ask them politely that if they want to get my attention, they need to wave their hands somewhere within my vision. Since the Pittsburgh Deaf community is quite small, most people know that I am Deaf+ (someone who is Deaf and has other special needs). Just know that most Deaf people are very open.
I am hoh and I can't stand people tapping me for any reason. I was sleeping at my sister's house and she couldn't wake me up so keep tapping on my hand.
I finally woke up but I was very bugged about the way my sister woke me up . I would rather had her give one good hard push than tap on my hand for 5 minutes .

Back