Deaf couple find shocking note on lost luggage

Well, IMO, people think if you can't speak, you are dumb. It doesn't matter how old this term is. The employee who wrote it is definitely an asshole.

:lol: those OVERsensitive deaf people who cry over little things. I am 5th generation deaf, and I get used to receive those insults by hearing people, so did my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. All I can do is ignore, and let karma bite them someday. :lol:

Hold on a minute.
It's like ****** the n word, only means being ignorant right, and nothing else.......
Sure sure...
Try it, (crazy Paul)
Words not only have meanings they have Cultural history that warps and shapes their meaning
Dumb may mean at one time not being able to speak but that meaning. Changed due to the hearie worlds use of it as a word to discriminate against us and do shit like tie our hands in school and force talkie nonsense on us as a culture
Now
I was lucky enough to be saved the above nightmRe. But I've met many who weren't spared.
I'm. Not a sensitive dancing through the tulips naked kinda guy but I do take exception to the hearie world calling me or anyone DEaF dumb
**** them
We are DEAF,
my opinion
For what it's worth
Oh....
Tht note was no accident.

some re-training needed..
ff and manga your letters are so small I can hardly read it

That's a plm on your end wouldn't be?
Browser settings maybe?

:lol: those OVERsensitive deaf people who cry over little things. I am 5th generation deaf, and I get used to receive those insults by hearing people, so did my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents. All I can do is ignore, and let karma bite them someday. :lol:

You can ignore it and get used to it. I see this terminology so often that it disgusts me. The difference is, we can educate them that it is inappropriate. Otherwise they wouldn't learn a thing or two if we do not make a stand. I say, the dumb term is redundant.

What about "N" word to black people?

Those words are equally bad.

What about "N" word to black people?

Those words are equally bad.

LOL, you compared deaf and dumb to "N" word and "C" word ... deaf and dumb is NOT same level as N/C, and what about you calling me Russian, it is racist. I demand AllDeaf to apology to me for your remark. :lol:

In a reality, when a hearing person tell you that you are dumb, what would you do? :hmm:

Well I can babel like hearies. But I have been termed dumb more then once while voice off with other DEAF
Now
In my younger years I handled it rash. your. Russian, now I dunno what's an insulting term for Russian, I've used and heard used Ivan's for Russians. Like all those Ivan's now in Brooklyn. Ect ect.
My point is Russian is not a term that is meant to denigrate you. It's your people what you are. The n word or calling DEaF dumb is a word that has no other purpose nowadays in North America anyway other then to fling shit in our face
Why?
Because the words meaning has been changed and warped....frankly it's simple. Most of us don't appreciate being termed dumb. So it should stop. If the majority of Russians felt being called Russian should stop then it should
Easy really
My opinion

LOL, you compared deaf and dumb to "N" word and "C" word ... deaf and dumb is NOT same level as N/C, and what about you calling me Russian, it is racist. I demand AllDeaf to apology to me for your remark. :lol:

In a reality, when a hearing person tell you that you are dumb, what would you do? :hmm:

No, Russian is ethnicity, but "N" and "C" words are racial slurs.

"Dumb" = disability slurs

For me, in public area, I will educate them.

You would think a doctor would find out if acceptable to use the term 'dumb'
when talking about deaf and hoh people in USA. That was very 'dumb' of your
doctor. What did he say when you corrected him? Did he get a red face :Oops: ?
He thanked me for educating him. He's from another country and hasn't learned all the nuances of American English. In his culture, "deaf and dumb" is still acceptable.

He took it well.

He thanked me for educating him. He's from another country and hasn't learned all the nuances of American English. In his culture, "deaf and dumb" is still acceptable.

He took it well.

That is good he took it well , I don't some doctors would like to be corrected .

He took it well.[/QUOTE

This is something none of us including the couple that got the note know about the baggage handler that wrote the note. It could well be someone like this doctor.

This seems an honest - if rather insensitive- mistake. The person who wrote the note wouldn't have known any better.

This seems an honest - if rather insensitive- mistake. The person who wrote the note wouldn't have known any better.

I agree with you. I try to see the good in people instead of the bad. I can only hope that the person that wrote the note was old, like in his 70's,and didn't know any better.

Back