Deaf Community vs. ASL students

It sounds like it all comes down to courtesy, respect for others, and common sense. It is rude to interrupt someone's conversation with an unrelated question no matter what language is used. That is something small children do and are quickly corrected by their elders. I've never been to a deaf event. Is it possible to have suggestions posted at the event on proper manners for ASL students without offending everyone or issue voluntary tags to identify a student? That way anyone willing to help them will know who they are and they won't be as likely to bother others. If it is voluntary it wouldn't seem they are being picked on but helped.

That teacher should include social skills as part of the class grading system and then give lower grades to the students who ignore deaf people in the class when they talk among themselves. Other assignments are after class time (homework, etc.) so it would be reasonable for it to be counted in the grades.

You're absolutely right Jillio. Actually in the first few classes when I have a new group of students, I teach them about Deaf culture at the same time as the alphabet. It's a good foundation for hearing people to begin with so they can have an understanding for where Deaf people are coming from, not just the language. Knowing ASL is great but understanding it's importance is even better. :ty:

that too, to be emphasised with the priint-this-out tactic i just mentioned

I have NEVER told my students to attend Deaf events because I think it's a place for people to socialize who know each other and relate to each other. It would be like crashing a wedding you weren't invited to.

Maybe it depends on what kind of deaf events take place in your area. In my area there are events where students are welcomed...as long as they have some basic knowledge or willingness to learn ASL, and a respect for the culture. In other words:

The problem is that we would like to have ASL students to communicate with us without asking us to teach them and also when they don't want to sign and start talking to other hearing people.

That's exactly the kind of behaviors that I witnessed from the ASL 1 students who came to one event. Asking the deaf people to do things like translate song lyrics into ASL (without even providing them written down in English -- no thought that maybe a deaf person wouldn't know lyrics to a certain song!), or grouping together and talking without signing. Very rude. But there were other students there who did behave appropriately. It totally depends on what and how they're being taught.

Well, i'm a asl student i've been to two deaf social day and tomorrow might be my third.
Unlucky, i havent been able to really communicate with anyone cause im shy and is still a new world for me, i do know like the conversatinal signs and stuff like that, but i dont want to feel way embarrased if i messed up.
but im not there like, hey how you sign this?. Im more like just another person in the crowd and just would like to chat but again im shy. So hopefully tomorrow will be different.

Well, i'm a asl student i've been to two deaf social day and tomorrow might be my third.
Unlucky, i havent been able to really communicate with anyone cause im shy and is still a new world for me, i do know like the conversatinal signs and stuff like that, but i dont want to feel way embarrased if i messed up.
but im not there like, hey how you sign this?. Im more like just another person in the crowd and just would like to chat but again im shy. So hopefully tomorrow will be different.

Understood re: the shyness; however, "mess up"...... and you will...., there's not thing wrong with that as it is just something you go thru on the way to bettering your skills and knowledge. Dive right in!

When Hubby and I as beginning signers first started attending Deaf "events", we started with silent dinners. Expectations at silent dinners are minimal, and people were free to get as involved as they felt comfortable. If nothing else, you could just introduce yourself, eat and observe. Pretty low key.

We "graduated" to local Deaf association meetings and socials. We usually didn't discuss "signing" topics or ask "how to sign" questions. We chatted about the same stuff that everyone chats about; weather, children and grandchildren, traffic, shopping, aches and pains (we were in an older group, heh, heh), TV programs, etc. If the Deaf acquaintance noticed that we didn't grasp something, he/she might spell it or explain a sign, as it popped up in conversation. But no "signing" quizzes or drills. :)

It also pays to have a good sense of humor. There's always at least one character in the crowd who loves messing with newbie signers' minds. We had an elderly Deaf gentlemen in our group who loved intentionally giving us incorrect signs or double-entendre name signs for a chuckle. Of course, we hearies got wise to him and took any sign "suggestions" from him with a grain of salt. :lol:

When Hubby and I as beginning signers first started attending Deaf "events", we started with silent dinners. Expectations at silent dinners are minimal, and people were free to get as involved as they felt comfortable. If nothing else, you could just introduce yourself, eat and observe. Pretty low key.

We "graduated" to local Deaf association meetings and socials. We usually didn't discuss "signing" topics or ask "how to sign" questions. We chatted about the same stuff that everyone chats about; weather, children and grandchildren, traffic, shopping, aches and pains (we were in an older group, heh, heh), TV programs, etc. If the Deaf acquaintance noticed that we didn't grasp something, he/she might spell it or explain a sign, as it popped up in conversation. But no "signing" quizzes or drills. :)

It also pays to have a good sense of humor. There's always at least one character in the crowd who loves messing with newbie signers' minds. We had an elderly Deaf gentlemen in our group who loved intentionally giving us incorrect signs or double-entendre name signs for a chuckle. Of course, we hearies got wise to him and took any sign "suggestions" from him with a grain of salt. :lol:

Hahaha, Reba, was "pasturized milk" or "brownies" a couple of them?

I think these events are valuable in learning ASL. you can study all day long in books but the language doesnt get in your hands until you put it into practice. ASL students can be very annoying though, and i speak from experience. You can show them something 1,000 times and they still get it wrong and your time has been taken away from your friends, which is why you are there in the first place. If i have to tell another student, "no you just signed 'date' as in the person you are dating not 'meet' look at my hands, now look at yours do you see the difference?" "No they are the same" NO THEY AREN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
half the time i want to tell my Deaf friends okay look at the event dont tell anyone that i am hearing, let me do it. If they all think i am Deaf fine. I dont want some hearie attached to me the entire party. Which is what happens. BLEH!!!!!! So i see that side of it. But to use it in a real life setting with those whose native language it is, it is so valuable. I think what needs to happen is there needs to be events where it is said students come it is fine, tell the colleges yes it is great we want to help so tell them to come to this event. Then other events no we just want those who know the language to be there. I dont think it is discriminatory until you say "We dont want you hearing bastards at our party!!" LOL a lot of people that meet me are surprised i am hearing anyway which is fine with me. =)

I think what needs to happen is there needs to be events where it is said students come it is fine, tell the colleges yes it is great we want to help so tell them to come to this event. Then other events no we just want those who know the language to be there. I dont think it is discriminatory until you say "We dont want you hearing bastards at our party!!" LOL

:gpost:

Back