Deaf Community Questions

Nomi828

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Naomi and I'm from Connecticut. I'm a hearing student of ASL and Deaf Studies courses. I was looking to get some responses from people in the Deaf Community on some questions I have. I would like some honest feedback to the questions. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help. I am doing a project for school and am trying to get as many people to respond as possible. I would like to see the different experiences that people respond with. You don't have to answer all the questions, but as many as possible would help. Thanks!!!!!!!!

What are the differences and similarities between hearing and Deaf school systems?

Do you find it frustrating to communicate with the hearing community, and if so, what factors contribute to that frustration?

What kind of obstacles do you have in the hearing community?

Say you live in a hearing household, but you are Deaf. Do you consider yourself a member of t he hearing community or Deaf community?

Is there a difference when signing with a hearing person as opposed to a Deaf person? Like facial expressions, body language and what not.

Do Deaf people tend to criticize and give feedback to hear other? If so, how do you feel about being criticized?

What are the differences and similarities between hearing and Deaf school systems?
Well for deaf schools, things like speech threapy and auditory training are just a part of the school day, rather then pull out like in public school. More specificly Deaf resources, (in public schools most of the sped resources are targeted more towards LD kids)
Do you find it frustrating to communicate with the hearing community, and if so, what factors contribute to that frustration?
YES!!!! Not being understood 100% b/c of my speech issues.
What kind of obstacles do you have in the hearing community?
not being part of the mainstream 100% even thou the oralists and experts told my parents I would belong in the hearing world. much more then I actually am.
Say you live in a hearing household, but you are Deaf. Do you consider yourself a member of t he hearing community or Deaf community?

Is there a difference when signing with a hearing person as opposed to a Deaf person? Like facial expressions, body language and what not.

Do Deaf people tend to criticize and give feedback to hear other? If so, how do you feel about being criticized?

Back