deaf college or non deaf college

FuegoSerenity

Reaction score
I'm a college student in a non-deaf college wehre I'm living. I was wondering if anyone ever had a hard time in class where you had to rely on your interpreter to translate what the teacher is talking about. My interpreter is a freelancer so I can't always expect the 'terp to be thre when I need it. Can't rely on notetaker because according to the office, it's MONEY!
I am considering transferring to Gally, but tell me, what difference would it be between hearing college and a deaf college.? I never visit there though I hope to next year. I've been mainstream all my life.

I'm a college student in a non-deaf college wehre I'm living. I was wondering if anyone ever had a hard time in class where you had to rely on your interpreter to translate what the teacher is talking about. My interpreter is a freelancer so I can't always expect the 'terp to be thre when I need it. Can't rely on notetaker because according to the office, it's MONEY!
I am considering transferring to Gally, but tell me, what difference would it be between hearing college and a deaf college.? I never visit there though I hope to next year. I've been mainstream all my life.

You have the right to have an interpreter for EVERY class everyday, and you also have the right to have a notetaker. Sorry, but "money" is not a good excuse for the office to not get you a notetaker. And by "office" are you speaking of the student disablity services office?

yes, I do mean the dS OFC, get this, I don't have any interpreter for "ENGLISH" Huh, go figure.:eek3: I hate English. but unfortunatly, it's a requirement for the core classes.

yes, I do mean the dS OFC, get this, I don't have any interpreter for "ENGLISH" Huh, go figure.:eek3: I hate English. but unfortunatly, it's a requirement for the core classes.

They are so wrong to be doing this to you. You have the right to have BOTH an interpreter AND a notetaker for ALL OF YOUR CLASSES.

For me, college not far from my home is a good place for deafies. I was there and told them that deaf needs better in 1990s and my good friend now works for interpreter/disability responsibles offer good deaf equipments as well as notetaker. I quit in 1995 and returned to college couple weeks ago. I had discussed with them how I made my decision my return. I hope college goes smooth for me.

Off topic: I finally met my old friend who is a teacher in college who I know from school. She loves to chase me around. And once she flirted me when my ex wife and I were window shopping in electronic store many years ago. I met her recently and she seems interesting in me. I might ask her for new date. :giggle:

Hey.....is the college a small one or a state college? Although some people trumpet how wonderful it is that we can get accomondations, very often the accomondations aren't too good. Definitly try Gally. If they'd had my major I would have gone there in a flash.....I am hoping to go there for grad school maybe.

I used to go to Gallaudet and I left because I was not taking academics seriously. Now I am attending a non-deaf university facing a similiar problem that u are(were) having---the interpreter part. However, I learned that I can ask someone in the classroom to be a notetaker without getting someone in the Disability Services involved. So, maybe u can do that by asking someone to do that for you. If I had to start all over again, I would have went back to Gallaudet but I can not afford at the moment and where I am now attending is FREE. I will be sure to go back to Gally for my masters or PHd....if Lord bless!

Deaf College vs. Non-Deaf College

I'm a hard-of-hearing freshman at a mainstream university in California. I haven't had any problems getting notetakers, but I have felt self-conscious about being the only hard-of-hearing student in my classes and making sure my peers know about it. It's tough when I have curious people staring at my FM system or being sympathetic when really, nothing's wrong. Then again, there are also understanding, mature people in my classes who don't treat me any differently and are respectful of my needs.

Although I've found it hard to adjust at first, I wouldn't transfer to a deaf college. I do not look down upon deaf colleges like RIT, Gallaudet, Northeastern, etc. because I have friends who go to those universities. However, I believe I have worked too hard in high school and will not give up my spot at the university I'm attending. I think I'm at this school to meet all kinds of people who have had little or no experience with deaf/hearing-impaired people and help change their preconceived notions.

I'm not sure what your school experience is like, but I wouldn't go from a mainstream school to a deaf school because you might get culture shock if you were mainstreamed all your life. I know I got traumatized when I switched from a deaf school to a mainstream school. :)

You could try resolving issues at your current school and see if things improve. If things really don't change for the better, you might consider Gallaudet or any other deaf school.

Last edited:
Back