Deaf college in bid to raise awareness of mental health

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf college in bid to raise awareness of mental health - News - The Star

DONCASTER College for the Deaf is hosting an activity day dedicated to mental wellbeing to help celebrate World Mental Health Day.

Ben Jones, mental health nurse at the college, and colleague Faye Routledge, from Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust, were inspired to organise the event after noticing the lack of mental health awareness for deaf people in the local area.

Ben, aged 32, said: “Deaf people are usually quite isolated when it comes to health care awareness.

“For the general public the information out there is quite good but I felt deaf people needed access to that information as well.

“We started thinking about organising an event at the college last year after the annual World Mental Health Day, and now I am thrilled we are finally going to reach out to deaf people on this important day.”

There will be a range of stalls representing different mental health and wellbeing services from different organisations.

Ben added: “We have teams from services including the Mental Health Access Team, Better Deal, Older People’s Mental Health Services, Doncaster Sexual Health and many more.

“There will also be a range of indoor and outdoor activities for people to try out, like boxercise and circuit training, that can benefit both mental and physical health or chair based exercise for those less able, plus a stall to give health checks.

“Rebecca Walls from the Trust, who works in South Yorkshire with deaf people with mental health needs, will also be giving a talk.”

The Deaf Mental Health and Wellbeing Day at Doncaster College for the Deaf will be held next Thursday, from 10am to 2pm.

Hm...interesting. I hadn't thought of it before, but what do you think the chances are that a counselor or psychiatrist speaks ASL? Would you have an interpreter for counseling sessions? Maybe school counselors at the school, but what about Deaf going into psychology/counseling?

I'm a neuroscience major, so mental illness and other neurological fun things amuse me!

Back