Deaf, CI users and their pets

Jules

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a CI user for a year now and I have a black Labrador named Onyx who's my dear pet. He's a natural hearing dog I didn't have to teach him anything to help me when I was learning to hear again with my CI. While my husband was at work Onyx was my hearing assistant and partner, without him the hearing learning process would have been difficult.

Here's a pic of him in the back yard!

Tell me about your pets and how was your experience with CI.

ONYX

Last edited:
Beautiful dog! I've got nothing to say re CI (don't have one) but just had to compliment you on that gorgeous sweetheart. Such a shiny coat and wonderful doggie smile.

Beautiful dog! I've got nothing to say re CI (don't have one) but just had to compliment you on that gorgeous sweetheart. Such a shiny coat and wonderful doggie smile.

Thanks anyway for your comment!

You'll get more posts if you open this discussion up to everyone (not just CI). There are many dog lovers here. :wave:

Wow that is one good looking dog! and it so cool you have a black lab as so black dogs many are put to sleep!

Your Lab looks like such a sweetie!

My little CI-Borg daughter is 5, and she's been growing up with our wonderful creaky 13 yo black lab and her own little year a a half old golden retriever/poodle mix. Without her CI on, the only thing in our home Li can hear is our lab's unbelievably loud bark, so she must be hitting the 100db mark with her barking. I'm not surprised. Ouch. She's been training her little guy to do amazing things, like eating lots of treats, racing around the yard, swimming with her at the lake, and bouncing off the walls. Some tough tricks, too, like sleeping at her side at night ;) .

Our little guy has learned one useful skill, I hope it wasn't just a fluke. My daughter and her friend were racing around our yard one afternoon -- we have a couple of acres that's just plain field, high grass and a pond that they love to travel through -- and somewhere, at some time, my daughter's friend dropped a brown CI processor out there! the sun was going down when we realized it, and i just stood on a hill looking out at this grass thinking there was just no way possible. The girls tried to retrace their paths, but no luck. Li's little dog, however, raced around with them, and suddenly stopped, sniffing intently. I ran over thinking he was about to roll in something dead, given his interest, and there was the processor on the ground. Like a needle in a haystack, and not even my daughter's CI or smell! So lucky. We went to the market and cooked up some nice hamburger for that wonderful dog that night -- and we're vegetarians!

You'll get more posts if you open this discussion up to everyone (not just CI). There are many dog lovers here. :wave:[/QUOTE

Totally agree as that was my first thought when I saw this thread. Unless the OP dont want to hear about non-CI users experiences with their pets.

Yea! I can talk about my dogs!

I got dogs before I lost hearing. I had already bonded to them. Now, I truly appreciate their ears, in addition to the companionship.

Meet my border collie mix, Hailey. She's smart and a great dog.

2011-07-05_12-34-36_27.jpg

Here's Baby, a bull terrier/pug mix. She's an unusal dog and a sweetie.

2011-07-05_12-34-24_239.jpg

2n18b4z.jpg

Here are my dogs. Poodle, Shih Tzu, and Pekingese. The Peke is the only boy, and he is deaf like me.

The girls are our hearing dogs. ;)

Drake, mainecoone kitty :) very fun, animated, spaz , sissy la la personality. Hes definitely a mommy's boy :D
drake2.jpg

Moo, not sure what she is but shes very independent, serious and always in order of the house. When some repair guy was at the door she came up to me, sat up and meowed, staring at me in alertness. I love her so much!
Moo.jpg

Drake, mainecoone kitty :) very fun, animated, spaz , sissy la la personality. Hes definitely a mommy's boy :D
drake2.jpg

Moo, not sure what she is but shes very independent, serious and always in order of the house. When some repair guy was at the door she came up to me, sat up and meowed, staring at me in alertness. I love her so much!
Moo.jpg

I'm not a cat lover but those cats are so pretty!! love it!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Some cats are very dog-like. My orange tabby is like that. He always wants to be with his humans. He even gets along with my dogs.

Back