Deaf Church Activity Ideas Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorriganTait

Reaction score
HELLO DEAF CHURCHGOERS AND OTHERS...

My church recently started having all our regular Sunday services ASL interpreted as we have 2-3 regular deaf attendees and wanted to fully include them in our worship. We have been doing this a couple of months and sor far it has been well received. We would like to do more to introduce ourselves to the deaf community in our area, and attract more deaf visotors and their family and friends.

What we do right now: Regular worship including songs are interpretted, and interpteter stays for social/snack hour to help us chat and visit with our deaf members. We occasionally have other services interpreted like funerals and Christmas Eve and such as needed.

As a deaf or HOH person, what other services would you like to see us have, and how could we best communicate to local deaf/hoh community to let everyone know?

You can post suggestions here, PM me or e-mails me (My AIM ID is also my AOL e-mail address.)

Any suggestions are appreciated. This is new for us and we want to make this a success and could use any ideas how to do this right.

Hmmm. . I've heard of a hearing church that was willing to do some extra "music boost" to where the deafies were seated so they can feel the music. . .

Other church would have slideshows with lyrics for those who are sometimes curious what is the exact word in song while they're singing to it. .
I've used "iworship@home DVD" that's found in music video section of christian book stores. .

Do Deaf have their own Sunday School or are they with hearing?

I am sorry I am not one whom love to watch signing a song. Life without music is boring even feeling music is boring.

Umm I don't see they have bible study? Many of us need to study bible and to understand them.

I'm not a churchgoer, never was and probably never will be. However, there's a couple things you can do...fundraisers to arrange to take parishioners on outings, or to signed shows. Bake sales, toy drives. Things like that. If you're looking for activities restricted to only the deaf, you could always hold ASL workshops for them - they can bring someone - a friend or anyone who isn't so aware. Might be fun.

1purple_panda said:
Other church would have slideshows with lyrics for those who are sometimes curious what is the exact word in song while they're singing to it.

Do Deaf have their own Sunday School or are they with hearing?

It's a small church with a BIG Pipe organ and the deaf are seated right next to the piano also, so they feel the music. With the exception of the one choir anthem, all words are printed in the bulletin or hymnal for exact words.

Our Sunday school is children only and no deaf so far, so not interpreted - YET.

jazzy said:
Umm I don't see they have bible study? Many of us need to study bible and to understand them.

yes - this is one thing I want to figure out how to do. I don't sign myself, but I have obtained two types of Bibles good for limited Englsh Reading skills, but it's hard because we don't have an interpreter for Bible study yet. This is my next item to work on expanding.

Malfoyish said:
If you're looking for activities restricted to only the deaf...

Because we are mostly a hearing church (right now), I would think we want to do all-inclusive activities where deaf and hearing can socialize and learn about eachother. We are a well meaning group - but we have so much to learn - but we're open to learning, which I think is good.

Thank you ALL for your ideas. Keep 'em coming. We want to be the kind of place where deaf or hearing - people feel comfortable, valued, understood...

All your ideas are important.

Family movie night with appropriate Christian movies would be good. .

Several of my church members liked it. . Sitting and getting together watching movie that's from laptop & projection. .

Bible study is also good. . Also any Bible themed games. .

I'm trying to remember what was in the CCC (Campus Crusade for Christ) at Gallaudet University. . They had lots of good activities. .

We had Bible-opardy game. . You could use the Bible challenge cards and categorize them into themes. .

I played it couple times with my church before. . Maybe even hearies will find it funny too . . I didnt really have an official name. . As you could maybe call it Bible Relay game. .

Line up the people. . First person is faced towards you. . The rest of them is looking in opposite direction. . Sign a Bible verse or a phrase only once. . They have to memorize it and tell it to the 2nd person repeating only once then so on until last person has to say what it was. . Then everybody learns and understand that need to be careful with with what they learn from others and not be afraid to ask to repeat or ask for more deep details so can understand clearly. .

Even holding weekly classes/activities either at the church or in a home of a member (which also can be done in turn, from member to member) whereas a smaller group gathering surely can bring unique and awesome closeness within the group--providing that an interpreter is readily available as well. Even as a member already suggested here, having fundraisers is a terrific idea, but using these fundraisers to help defray the costs of interpreters, etc.,....

Lastly,

*pray pray pray pray*

And awesome results will manifest itself for a church that is diligently eager to open up their arms and hearts to the Deaf/HoH..... ;)

why not go on a deaf cruise, all the church members can go together. :)

MorriganTait,

It's great that you're helping out with your local deafies at the church.

As long they do provide good interpreter(s) that they're comfortable with.

Due to my experience (and others') we deafies don't like too much/too long music because we naturally aren't interested with music, really. So avoid that but one time at the beginning may be ok while it may be bit conflict with the hearies, who is the majority attendence, that love music.

We do like the Bible study the best. Suggest to do that absolutely .. it's rather more effective to teach them the Bible and open discussion.

The snack time after your church is good idea especially being a new that enables deafies to feel comfortable in time. Keep doing that for a while. Get more deaf people as you can. GBY

web730 said:
Due to my experience (and others') we deafies don't like too much/too long music because we naturally aren't interested with music, really. So avoid that but one time at the beginning may be ok while it may be bit conflict with the hearies, who is the majority attendence, that love music.

I have to say, we are a church who is big on music. It is part of who we are. At this time, it doesn't seem to alienate the deaf members who do attend. It is something I will try to be aware of though.

The interpeters we have are really incredible, expressive, and very well qualified. I think this has helped a lot.

That's great. It seem like you guys only need to add the Bible study.

My church has a growing deaf ministry. We now have 11 deaf that come (though not all at the same time due to work schedules) - and five of those 11 have recently become saved!

We have had a "Silent Supper" with the deaf and interepreters and the sign language classes that my church has. Everyone that comes (whether hearing or not) may not speak. All conversing must be done in sign or with pen and paper. This went over very well. We also did a pot luck dinner after church in the church's banquet room. And most recently, we did a pot luck dinner at one of the interpreters' home. We had a short Bible message presented by the director of the deaf ministry. After the dinner, two of the deaf that came accepted Jesus as their Saviour!

We are planning more of these type of activities in the upcoming months. Keep in touch with me, and I'll let you know what we are doing and whether or not the activities were well received.

Trent

MorriganTait said:
I have to say, we are a church who is big on music. It is part of who we are. At this time, it doesn't seem to alienate the deaf members who do attend. It is something I will try to be aware of though.

The interpeters we have are really incredible, expressive, and very well qualified. I think this has helped a lot.

I understand music is big and important part of church, umm u know some of us are good at being pretend to like it so their feelings won't get hurt. Unless they use their aids to listen which it is great but not all of us are able to hear with aids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back