Deaf children who grew up in the hearing world only

Haha, I really enjoyed reading these replies.

I was always considered "in my own world," which was either attributed to my not being too bright (when I was very young) or my being very bright (when I got older), because I couldn't keep with the conversation. This was especially true when I'd get bored of the conversation I didn't understand and start looking around at other things.

Ultimately, of course, I just became quite skilled at pretending and "reading people" like everyone here. :) "She's such a happy child- always smiling!" :lol:

Yep, that's me. I didn't learn sign language until high school, and didn't learn any amount of real ASL until university. It was only a handful of years ago that I vowed to stop pretending to understand and to stop making the burden of communication my sole responsibility. Often, other people will just give up and not even write when I've suggested nicely that they could write down what they're trying to tell me. That's OK. If it's not important enough for them to communicate to me, then it's not my problem any more. I'm only concerned with the people who care enough to value communication above the convenience of "voice-or-nothing". Life's too short for everything else.

I just talked an hour ago with a couple interpreters who are against forcing implants on children.
Let the livid outcries commence. :giggle:

I just talked an hour ago with a couple interpreters who are against forcing implants on children.

I am not at all surprised to hear that interpreters would be against CI implantation. :lol:

I am not at all surprised to hear that interpreters would be against CI implantation. :lol:

Hah. I hasten to say they are against FORCED implantation. They told me stories but I will spare you that. :lol:

Of course they are against it....without future deaf people, interpreters would not have a job.......:hmm:

there will still be a need for interpreters. Even if you have a CI ur hearing still sucks

I too am an expert at this. It's hard sometimes to know when to ask for a repeat because by the time I figure out if I understood or not they moved on. I've never met a herring person that could understand this.

I do kind of get that- but only because I have a Japanese friend married to an American and she has the same issue, for different reasons. She's talked to me about it. She struggles with the language barriers. They've been married many years now, and she just can't get past a certain proficiency level.

By the time she's translated what's being said and then thought about it, the conversation has jumped to some other topic, and she's missed the transition.

She prefers one on one conversations over groups.

Back