Deaf Bar?

AjSaylor

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I spend my nights working @ night clubs. The first one I have witnessed deaf people come in a have a drink on three distinct occasions. I know there is a deaf school around Hartford, CT and I assume a relatively good sized deaf community.

So do Deaf people do out often to, what tend to be, hearing people dominated night clubs?

More importantly in the case of the second club I work at, what can be done to welcome the deaf community? Entice them to come? We are trying to have nights directed @ one or more specific clientele I figured Deaf people would be nice to include...

On a tangent...what if i see a girl i recognize to be deaf out and I think she is pretty as happened in one out of the three distinct cases i mentioned before. Do I make the very feeble attempt to mouth it to her? Or try to sign what I know. Or is she off limits to me just as is someone who speaks Russian or one of the thousands of other languages I don't know...?
----------------------------------
Summary...

1) Do Deaf people frequent clubs?
2) What can be done to cater to Deaf people?
3) How do I approach an attractive girl who I have identified as Deaf?

Thanks

Summary...

1) Do Deaf people frequent clubs?
2) What can be done to cater to Deaf people?
3) How do I approach an attractive girl who I have identified as Deaf?

Thanks

thanks for list designed for those with short-attention span :)

1. yes yes yes
2. ASL-friendly bartender! (learn some signs!) and put a bunch of cups of note/pen around the places!
3. free drink and talk to her with note/pen or blackberry (type it and exchange it back and forth)

about #3 - that's how my hearing classmate met this deaf girl at the bar on New Year Eve party. I've met her and she's very very very pretty. He used pen/note. They hit it off and he went to ASL classes. Now after several months in ASL class, he can do ASL fairly well. Her ASL is very elegant but toooooo fast for me to follow :cool2:

I don't really know what to say about how to get more deaf people to come to your bar.

From my experience, deaf people have a short attention lifespan and won't frequently visit the same bar as long as hearing people would.

When I was in RIT, there was always a bar that many deaf people went to. Sadly, the attention span for these bars were a few months before they moved on to the next bar.

One day, everyone would be talking about how they're all going to this bar. They say how it's popular and everyone's going there.

A few months later, I hear that bar is the worst... and everyone has moved on to another bar cuz it's the best.

A few months later, I hear the same thing... everyone moved on to the next.

During my time at RIT, there must have been at least 10 or 15 different bars that many deaf people went to... then stopped going to.

I guess it's not a matter of personal preference, but a matter of being a "fad". If one deaf person goes, everyone else goes. It's also probably a matter of gossip and rumors. When one person hears something bad or does something bad, everyone follows suit and leaves to go elsewhere. :dunno:

Back