Deaf and English Literacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mactoph

Reaction score
I am trying to better understand the overall ability of people who are Deaf to read written English. I have heard that the average Deaf adult reads at a 3rd or 4th grade level, but am looking for some research or even anecdotal evidence that supports that (or not).

Does anyone out there have any advice or ideas on where I could look for some information on this?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Multiple people have let me know that my original post was inappropriate. I apologize and welcome feedback on how I could have asked the question better. As English is a different language than ASL, I didn't realize how insensitive it was to ask about literacy for English as a 2nd language. Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Sorry!

I apologize for my comment- I am hearing and would appreciate feedback to help me understand.

Let me explain a little more- I work in an organization where we provide ASL materials and we are trying to understand if we need to do everything in ASL or when written English is an acceptable alternative.

I have heard from some Deaf members of our organization that the reading ability of many adults is that low. I have nothing else to base my experience- please correct me! I promise to be a good listener.

Please give this person a chance that this plea is genuine.

Fuzzy

The underlying reason for many illiterate Deaf adults...

lack of ASL in their language formative years.

I apologize for my comment- I am hearing and would appreciate feedback to help me understand.

Let me explain a little more- I work in an organization where we provide ASL materials and we are trying to understand if we need to do everything in ASL or when written English is an acceptable alternative.

I have heard from some Deaf members of our organization that the reading ability of many adults is that low. I have nothing else to base my experience- please correct me! I promise to be a good listener.

The reading ability of many hearing adults is less than the reading ability of many deaf adults.

Obviously the deaf can understand written English. This is a forum for the deaf that uses written English as the communication method. Duh.

I worry about hearing people's ability to think before they ask.

Not to go off topic or anything, but is it a normal everyday thing for people to sign-up to alldeaf and right away start wanting answers to everything without any introduction whatsoever?

it just seems rude, but maybe thats just me...:roll:

Not to go off topic or anything, but is it a normal everyday thing for people to sign-up to alldeaf and right away start wanting answers to everything without any introduction whatsoever?

it just seems rude, but maybe thats just me...:roll:

Good point..

let's demand an intro! :D

I'll second that! Don't come in here asking questions until you are willing to tell us something about yourself. I have a question for the OP.

"What is your reading level?"

"we welcome the hearing with with open arms" ....

:roll:

yeah, right... what a bs.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

wow this is how you allow the type of hearing people who dare to walk all over you and look down on you when they know you have low level of english. I don't until they have to keep their mind open and ask for proper questions, not dumb question like this is as to treat deaf people like dumb. no thanks. :aw:

Fuzzy

If you want hearing people to look down on you as a deaf person, be my guest.

However, my first post was straightforward. Nothing about insulting that person.

The underlying reason for many illiterate Deaf adults...

lack of ASL in their language formative years.

^^^ This... it also depends on what the definition of illiterate is

This is an innocent hearing person who just came in,
asked you guys a question and was instantly bopped in the head.

The person then immediately apologized, explained his/her intent,
only to be further abused :roll:

You all could at least state your reservations politely. But, no.

Fuzzy

And Fuzzy, your response helps how? All you do is derail, constantly. Let's move on.

There were several valid points made earlier. Lack of ASL influencing English being one of them. Another being that there are plenty of hearing people whose reading level is lower than those that are deaf. Having hearing is not always the issue here.

mactoph, if you google 'literacy levels deaf population', I think you will find what you are looking for.

And Fuzzy, your response helps how? All you do is derail, constantly. Let's move on.

There were several valid points made earlier. Lack of ASL influencing English being one of them. Another being that there are plenty of hearing people whose reading level is lower than those that are deaf. Having hearing is not always the issue here.

I beg to differ.
All that was done prior to my remarks, was criticizing this person who started the thread which, too is off topic.

But you are right, lets end this and get back to the subject.

I think, the main reason of alleged "illiteracy" - for is it true "illiteracy"? is that
ASL and written English are two different languages.

Well, spoken English and ASL are two different languages to being with.
If a deaf person use mostly ASL in his life, then it may seem as "illiterate" because the syntax in these two are as I understand totally different.
May I point out this is from the hearing pov because the hearing does not understand the intricacies of the languages as well as the deaf do.

I am the best example here - I do not know ASL, nor how the deaf perceive spoken and written English,
so for me, it may indeed look like the person is "illiterate" while for the deaf it is not necessarily so.
Like, could be someone here who is fluent in ASL but not in written English,
I may not understand his written message but that doesn't mean he does not understands mine - he very well may.
There is hoverer no guarantee he understands it, either as the differences between ASL and spoken/written English does exist.

Fuzzy

A deaf person can be very very literate in his/her native language and that native language may not be English. Does that make the deaf person illiterate?

Would you call someone who is fluent and literate in French but doesnt read or write English well, illiterate.

Think about it...

That is to the OP

Does anyone out there have any advice or ideas on where I could love for some information on this?

btw, no disrespect, but that sentence does not make much sense to me :dunno:

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back