Deaf and Dumb?

*looks at Heretic, End, Eyeth, faints from brain-shock.*

Seriously through.

I recalled reading a topic about a group of deaf children developing their own languages which proves Aritsole wrong and with every succedding generations the language continued to evolve and evolve with every succedding generation. if you wish to read this topic be my guest. Here's the link

Link

In this topic the children are capable of reasoning and communciating despite the fact that they started with virtually nothing to build upon on!

And yes, I know the Heretic will find something wrong with it, he always chew me out but I totally love it!

Illiterates shouldn't be allowed to type.

Argumentun ad veritatem obfuscandam, for the link actually supports everything I've posted in this thread.

If anyone reads my Opening Post, and more importantly, understood it, they would actually realize that in order to have intelligence, one must have language, which furnishes the concepts and abstractions that are necessary for intelligence. The fact that a group of deaf children developed language in a social setting, only reinforces my point.

Such hastily posted links do not constitute otherwise, nor should one leap to the conclusion that it was intended as a contradiction. Prudence dictates the advantage of awareness.

Unless of course, the individual still cannot grasp the basics of Plain English. I extend my sympathies. :)

Yup, what he said! Oh, wait! Was that post aimed towards me? *Head hangs in shame*

Or was it towards the two posters that agreed with Heretic and didn't bothered to add anything more interesting.

Pleae ignore that part of the post that I posted above the Heretic about the part that Aristotle, and after carefully reading the posts that Heretic was so knd enough to post I discovered that I was in the error. I meant to prove that Jack was in the error rather than Aristotle. For Aristole intended to prove that language is nothing without intellegect to back it up.

And as End pointed out, Deaf people are generally supreb spellers solely because of the fact that they finger spell. However, it can be pointed out that Deaf people with some notable exceptions are often subpar compared to hearing people. Why is this, we must ask? Is it because we are dumb as in the modern context or are we simply weaned on the concepts of ASL that we suffer in English as a result.

One person once told me 'ASL isn't meant to be written' and after I read some writings by deaf people that happened to be my friends, as I read the writing, yes, I was struck with the thoughts, are those guys stupid or what?

No! The reason why most deaf people suffers ( The deaf people I know around my town, not intended at anyone on the board) at English is because from years and years growing up used to a specific language, and all of a SUDDEN! They are forced to learn a new language that is dimensions different from ASL, while some people may argue that spoken language is spoken universally, but in my honest opinons, body language appears to be the universal langauge solely becasue of the fact that almost everyone can realize the meaning behind 'Flipping the bird'.

The fact remains that deaf people often suffers at English proper is a variety of things such as mental retardation or a 'mental block' or just they may be just dumb in the modern sense. But IF Deaf was labeled dumb in the modern meaning, why do we have people such as Heretic, Endymion, Eyeth and me ( granted I may miss some obvious points in writings)

This also bring up an interesting part of Heretic's rant. For exampe if he was signing directly to me, I would understand him perfectly because of his body language. But on the other hand I suffer as a result of writing for I sometimes am unable to recongize the hidden contexts of certain words. Can it be accepted that ASL has its own metaphysics to deal with instead of whining that 'ASL isn't a language, it's just English in sign language ( that whining came from a notable person at my school, which was long then since fired for unacceptable behavior.)

The fact still remains! That language cannot be builded upon with absolutely nothing at all. If some of you read the link closer, you would discover that the deaf children had SOMETHING to build upon on instead of absolutely nothing at all.

I apologize most profoundly for my error into labelling Aristotle as in the wrong when I really was in the wrong for thinking that link would prove a contradication to Heretic's posts when it actually supported everything Heretic even posted on this thread.

Whew! A record for me! I need a nap now. :zzz:

Last edited:
Back