"deaf and dumb"

Teresh said:
I fight this skew of intent by confronting anyone I hear doing it... If you don't like it, fight it. S'about all you can do, really. >>

I have and I do, quite loudly.

To whoever said there should be some kind of quick and value-neutral term to explain that a person does not speak aloud, any idea what that proper word is? I could actually use it for a story I wrote, where one of my characters hears but has lost his ability to speak. (And no, I didn't call him by any of the terms in this thread--I just had to explain it in a phrase when I would make a reference to the fact.)

cental34 said:
I'm not sure if this topic has been done before.

Today, I heard this phrase used and almost lost my lid. I know back in the 19th and early 20th Century "dumb" was a term used to mean mute or someone who does not talk. Today, the word obviously has a different meaning. I'd like to know how the deaf community feels about this phrase. Are you offended by it? Do you not mind? Do you think its just a phrase used by ignorant hearies?

That phrase of "deaf and dumb" is really outdated, I haven't heard anyone saying those words to me before ever, I'm sure deaf and hard of hearing would feel offensive, because that's an offensive term. Just because they used that word in the 19 century that's what they thought of deaf people as "mute or silent." But, that had change, I've seen more hearing people are showing respect to deaf and hard of hearing, There many of them wanted to learn sign language, curious about deaf culture, and accepting deaf and hard of hearing in schools like mainstream and oral. :thumb:

almost like the word, "colored"...
I don't like that word....

same thing I don't like that word "deaf and dumb"

Yeah it offended me.

And I don't understand "gifted", what is that?

And special education??? :ugh:

I have a sore spot with that label - when I was 7 years old I got hit by a car (fortunately, I wasn't seriously injured), I had to put in a report with the police, you know, policy procedure after any types of accidents, etc. I had used my voice and signed at the same time. The cop who took my report understood most of what I said -- then when I read up the report before signing the paper, I saw that he had put down me as ' deaf and dumb', I got so upset and told him that I wasn't dumb - he said no because I couldn't talk! What? Didn't he hear me talk at all during the reporting? Gee...:roll: My mother wasn't impressed with that, either.

R3na3Blyth3 said:
I have a sore spot with that label - when I was 7 years old I got hit by a car (fortunately, I wasn't seriously injured), I had to put in a report with the police, you know, policy procedure after any types of accidents, etc. I had used my voice and signed at the same time. The cop who took my report understood most of what I said -- then when I read up the report before signing the paper, I saw that he had put down me as ' deaf and dumb', I got so upset and told him that I wasn't dumb - he said no because I couldn't talk! What? Didn't he hear me talk at all during the reporting? Gee...:roll: My mother wasn't impressed with that, either.

R3na3blyth3,

Oh geee... Obvouisly Police still think "Deaf and Dumb" label of course label is rude..
I can understand your feeling, disagree w/police written label on you.. Oh of course when you're young and 7 yrs old.

If suppose Adult...
If I were you, I will go to the headquarter police station and your speak out rights offend againist police.

**I've noticed Children cannot speak their rights aganist the police's written their own label on you "Deaf and Dumb".. Adult can rights speak it out aganist police's written their word label on you "Deaf and Dumb". Easily win the case. Difference Child and Adult? How solution the problem issues.?

I wish I could punch his jock! :laugh2:

OH this is the terminology that Perkins School for the Blind, where my daughter used to work. They use this in place of the word "retard" dated back many years ago.
Oh no problem.....even professionals sometimes misuse the terminlogy. However, developmental delay specificly means like a laundry list of issues connected to cognitive delays. Like someone with Aspeger's Syndrome can be developmentally delayed, but have a normal IQ.

Rose Immortal said:
I have and I do, quite loudly.

To whoever said there should be some kind of quick and value-neutral term to explain that a person does not speak aloud, any idea what that proper word is? I could actually use it for a story I wrote, where one of my characters hears but has lost his ability to speak. (And no, I didn't call him by any of the terms in this thread--I just had to explain it in a phrase when I would make a reference to the fact.)

I thought "mute" was the word.

As to "deaf and dumb" very few use it now, so it doesn't really bother me.

dkf747 said:

Do you feel "proud of Deaf and dumb" ?

geez, ain't for my type..

:madfawk:

dkf747 said:

Some here are saying it suggests total inability to communicate, not just not speaking. That's why I'm curious as to what the right term is.

I dont like when i read deaf and dumb i find that offensive. That is like insult to the deaf people. We have come a long way to where we are today. With better education for deaf people now alot of hearing people are finding that we are not dumb as they originially thought. duh at them.. lol.. Back in the ole days, there are no education for the deaf people so they are labeled as deaf and dumb. We are very lucky today compare to the people in the past.. Dang.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
almost like the word, "colored"...
I don't like that word....

same thing I don't like that word "deaf and dumb"

Yeah it offended me.

And I don't understand "gifted", what is that?

And special education??? :ugh:

Main Entry: gift·ed Pronunciation: 'gif-t&d

Function: adjective1 : having great natural ability : TALENTED <gifted children>
2 : revealing a special gift <gifted voices>
- gift·ed·ly adverb
- gift·ed·ness noun

Pronunciation Key

Main Entry: special education
Function: noun: classes for students (as the handicapped) with special educational needs

Pronunciation Key

Miss P, hope this help u undy what this mean.. :)

GalaxyAngel said:
Do you feel "proud of Deaf and dumb" ?

geez, ain't for my type..

:madfawk:

Where did I say that I felt "proud of Deaf and dumb"? Just what is your point?

Also, don't you hate it when they automatically call you "a special person" in a fake way, once they learn that you are disabled or whatever? I think that is so ridiculous. I tell them: "Everyone is special in their own ways, even you."

I have been in special education all my life and it was a class for kids with mild mental handicap.
I have adhd,deafness,communication disorder, and also have poor eye hand coordination,limited fine motor skills,and other problems and My doctor diagnosed me when i was very little with mental retardation. I had colic till i was 3 1/2 years old.
to me, i don't care if someone calls me a special person because I already know i am special.

the term deaf and dumb- i have heard that but i didn't know it was offensive or something that you don't like and if someone says something like that and just ignore them if you don't like what a person says.

I have a question also i accidently fell asleep with my hearing aid in my ear and will my hearing aid be okay and will it hurt my hearing aid if i fell asleep with it on?

Also, don't you hate it when they automatically call you "a special person" in a fake way, once they learn that you are disabled or whatever?
Oh LORD, YES!!!!!! It's so glurgy sounding. Hello, I'm.....what's the word....HUMAN!?!?! I'm no invaild and I'm certainly not herotic or anything. Yes, I've adapted to my circumstances, but so what? It's in the nature of man to adapt. Being dhh doesn't mean I'm speshal. I'm a twenty-something just like other twenty-somethings. I'm an eighties kid, I love Jeopardy! I listen to music, I do everything that lots of other people do every single day!

dkf747 said:
Where did I say that I felt "proud of Deaf and dumb"? Just what is your point?

My point of view.. that what you feel not bother "deaf and dumb" you let them go and using extactly word "Deaf and Dumb"? Are you feel comfy like this ?

Sounds like you're feel proud of this word..

I will say, No way .. i'd rather not let them go and contuine word "Deaf and Dumb" .. ain't give up..

Prefer education them (people) learn do not use "Deaf and Dumb" or "Deaf and mute" whatever..

Nicely word Deaf.

Proud of "deaf and dumb" - No. However, it is not used much anymore. That's why I said, "I don't care".

Seems like a lot of people need education as to what the word "dumb" means, and meant, though. I think getting offended at its use is silly. Just another example of political correctness run amok.

dkf747 said:
Proud of "deaf and dumb" - No. However, it is not used much anymore. That's why I said, "I don't care".

Seems like a lot of people need education as to what the word "dumb" means, and meant, though. I think getting offended at its use is silly. Just another example of political correctness run amok.

Thanks for clear it up.
:ty:

didn't HELLEN KELLER teach the world that deaf , dumb and blind does not belong in the same sentence. oh thats right they don't teach much about her these days , in public school that is.

Back