Deaf and dumb man, son hit by train die

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf and dump man, son hit by train die - The Times of India

Young Yadhun Pious's mother looked at her son sleeping peacefully on his aunt's shoulders. She wanted to convey to him that the people who had thronged their home on Saturday afternoon were there to bid their final goodbye to his deceased father and elder brother. But being deaf and dumb she was helpless, and continued gazing at her husband and son lying inside the caskets.

There were hundreds of people at the Pious home, including mayor Tony Chammany and MLA Hibi Eden. Pious George and his four-year-old son, Excel Pious, had died, run over by a passenger train. Pious, who was deaf and dumb, was crossing the railway track at Pachalam, near his home, along with his son when tragedy struck.

Neighbours said that people who saw the approaching danger had tried to warn Pious. The driver of the locomotive too had sounded the horn. But being unable to hear, Pious stepped into danger. He died on the spot, and Excel, on reaching hospital.

Jijesh Annamala, a medical representative, was passing by when he saw the accident. It was he who took Excel to the hospital.

"A few minutes had passed by the time I reached the spot. I was shocked to see people just watching and commenting instead of taking the victims to the hospital. The boy was alive when I took him to the hospital. I will never forget the doctor's words. He said Excel might have survived had he been brought a little earlier," Jijesh, who is from Kannur said.

He cancelled his weekend journey home and decided to be with the family of Pious.

"Pious mostly accompanied workers as a helper at construction sites, doing woodwork, welding and painting. On days he was not working, he would help his father who runs a small hotel. Excel was a jovial kid running around with kids of similar age. The boy and his brother, unlike their parents, had no problems of speech or hearing, and we were very happy for the couple. It is very unfortunate that such a fate befell the family," said Raghunandhanan, who lives close by.

The funeral journey started from their home in Pachalam at 3.30 pm on Saturday, and after a short service the bodies were buried at Chathiath Mount Carmel Church cemetery.

Such a shame the onlookers didn't take the boy to hospital sooner.

It's like that video of the little girl in China who was run over twice and nobody did anything.

Such a shame the onlookers didn't take the boy to hospital sooner.

That's a tough one, really, because a lot of times information about first aid will say NOT to move a person unless you are trained to do so, to prevent neck injuries from paralyzing someone, for instance.

Most cars are not appropriate ambulances, as in not possible to lay a person down flat, and so forth.

It is a shame, but realistically, it's likely that no one there felt capable of doing anything for the boy.

deaf and dumb ? That is sad deaf people are being called dumb. It is very sad about the getting hit by a train. RIP

"Dumb" in that case just means "not able to speak." It's not intended as an insult.

That's a tough one, really, because a lot of times information about first aid will say NOT to move a person unless you are trained to do so, to prevent neck injuries from paralyzing someone, for instance.

Most cars are not appropriate ambulances, as in not possible to lay a person down flat, and so forth.

It is a shame, but realistically, it's likely that no one there felt capable of doing anything for the boy.

Ah right, yeah i understand but the guy almost implies that literally nothing was being done.

Was it a high speed train? Was it the kind of train that you don't see coming?

I don't mean to sound rude, but the reason for asking was that if it was a super-fast train... then that would make sense for someone to look both ways before crossing (and still not see the train for it was coming too fast). However, that doesn't sound likely considering how the story is described. If that's the case, then it sounds like they didn't look both ways before crossing the train tracks.

I still do not understand how anyone deaf, or not, get hit by a train. Those things shake the ground to high heaven!! I used to live in a house three blocks away from a train track and the whole house shook as the train passed by.

Back