Deaf and Driving

W

wisdomlady

I would like to hear from your experiences related to driving issues...I am wondering how many Deaf driving instructors out there to teach deaf high school students? I am Deaf driving instructor ...any interesting driving questions you like to ask, feel free to ask me...smile :wave:

wisdomlady said:
I would like to hear from your experiences related to driving issues...I am wondering how many Deaf driving instructors out there to teach deaf high school students? I am Deaf driving instructor ...any interesting driving questions you like to ask, feel free to ask me...smile :wave:

It seems to me that there is no Deaf driving instructors around...Wow!!! I might the the 1st Deaf driving instructor... LOL

My high school driving instructor was deaf and Athletic Director... but retired...

Hahaha!!!

Yeah... I guess not.

I need to teach my Aunt how to drive....
She was trying to close up the window at the back seat, looking
at the back window....
while she kept the car rolling....

It was the red light.... and my mom said, "Don't hit that truck!!!!" :-o

My aunt, "What?"

And she looked, she hit the brake fast.
Everybody in the car almost got a whiplash.

And we were looking for a new house for my Aunt...
my Aunt won't slow down...

There was this little hump in the middle of the street....
It was like we were flying in the air....

My mom said, "I need to put on my seatbelt, my sister drives crazy!!!" :eek2:

Yeah, maybe you need to come to Tennessee or Mississippi....
to teach everyone here how to drive... cause the state don't give
driving test to old drivers. But only to new drivers.

nozobo said:
My high school driving instructor was deaf and Athletic Director... but retired...

Is there anyway you can tell your high school driving instructor to share his stories about his old days of teaching high school kids how to drive? I would love to hear it from your driving instructor...smile :ily:

wisdomlady said:
Is there anyway you can tell your high school driving instructor to share his stories about his old days of teaching high school kids how to drive? I would love to hear it from your driving instructor...smile :ily:
I wish... his name is AL Whitt, when he retired, last time I heard he moved to eastern coast so I dunno

The American School for the Deaf has Deaf teachers teaching the drivers education courses. It was a bit of a battle because the state told us we couldn't have that - but we won!

wisdomlady said:
It seems to me that there is no Deaf driving instructors around...Wow!!! I might the the 1st Deaf driving instructor... LOL

The Learning Center for the Deaf in Framingham, MA. He is Deaf Driving instructor for years ! He did a great job to the Deaf students who passed their driver license on road test.

Sabrina said:
The Learning Center for the Deaf in Framingham, MA. He is Deaf Driving instructor for years ! He did a great job to the Deaf students who passed their driver license on road test.

wooooo hooo ...tell that deaf driving instructor to get in here and share a story with me in here about his/her experience of teaching...smile :applause: :thumb:

TheChoolulu said:
The American School for the Deaf has Deaf teachers teaching the drivers education courses. It was a bit of a battle because the state told us we couldn't have that - but we won!

YAAAYYYYY...woooo hoooo ... hip hip hurraayyyy...good news to hear that... :thumb: will you tell the deaf instructor to get in here and share a story with me? I would like to hear what her/his experience of teaching a deaf student how to drive...smile

BSL Driving Lessons.

Hi! I am Steve Swinton ADI a Driving Instructor in Bolton, North Manchester UK.
I have taught driving to people who are Deaf or have Hearing Difficulties using BSL now for over 15 years.

If you wish to see some of the things we get up to then have a peek at my website at Castle Hill School of Motoring www.aditraining123.co.uk

Thanks and best regards.

Steve Swinton ADI

I think the person who taught driver's ed at my school was deaf, but not sure.

Personally, I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to teach people how to drive ;).

Hi
I up this thread about driving with a deafness.

In France, you have to have a medical exam before starting your theory lessons. Before 2005, deaf people could have a psychiatric exam for, I quote (this is a translation from French) : "detecting mental delay" :eek:

Last edited:
Uk Forum www.deaf247.co.uk

Hi! I have recently been appointed Driving and Deafness Moderator on the new Deaf247 furum here in the UK.

If you or any other forum members would like to take a look, join in, or start a new thread in any section of our forum you would be very welcome.

Thanks and best wishes.

:ty:

Steve Swinton.
Driving and Deafness Forum Moderator
Deaf 247 - British Sign Language and deafness - Home

Hi my name is Miracle and I am a deaf student and I wanted to learn how to drive do you have any suggestions?

Yeah... I guess not.

I need to teach my Aunt how to drive....
She was trying to close up the window at the back seat, looking
at the back window....
while she kept the car rolling....

It was the red light.... and my mom said, "Don't hit that truck!!!!" :-o

My aunt, "What?"

And she looked, she hit the brake fast.
Everybody in the car almost got a whiplash.

And we were looking for a new house for my Aunt...
my Aunt won't slow down...

There was this little hump in the middle of the street....
It was like we were flying in the air....

My mom said, "I need to put on my seatbelt, my sister drives crazy!!!" :eek2:

Yeah, maybe you need to come to Tennessee or Mississippi....
to teach everyone here how to drive... cause the state don't give
driving test to old drivers. But only to new drivers.

i'm sorry and i don't mean to be very mean but I want to say this - If i were your mom, I would never endanger my own kids by riding in aunt's car. since your aunt drives like that - I would refuse to ride with her and I would forbid my own kids to ride with her. I like my kids and myself to be in one piece and breathing.

Hi my name is Miracle and I am a deaf student and I wanted to learn how to drive do you have any suggestions?

1. ask your parent to teach you
2. sign up for driving school like everybody else.

:cool2:

I think the person who taught driver's ed at my school was deaf, but not sure.

Personally, I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to teach people how to drive ;).

For me, it doesnt involve the nervous breakdown, I have taught two deaf peeps in my friends circle myself to drive manual (with a stick) abd they have passed it all, with few issues and was dealt with.

Back