Deaf American visiting Tokyo, Japan

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
I am going to visit Tokyo, Japan by myself, at end of June for about one week.

I will be doing different sightseeing and I want one of them to be something related to deaf culture in Japan.
Something like take a tour of deaf school or meeting deaf Japaneses.

I have e-mailed to one deaf school which is fairly new school and one of first in Tokyo to provide bilingual environment for deaf students. (Hooray for em!)

But was wondering if any of you know of anyone or contact information to someone in Tokyo? I would love to meet deaf Japaneses for a day or something, just for experience and knowledge.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah with a help, we have contacted Gallaudet University but seems like they don't have that type of foreign dept for tourists anymore but only for exchange students, unfortunately.

And Asia (especially Japan) doesn't seem to be a popular choice for deaf tourists so I am having hard time finding information or people to contact with.

So other than one e-mail address I have found, I am stuck lol. :ty:

I think JClarke has visited there before..hopefully, he will come in here and help out.

Heh, yeah hope so as well. I have one last place to try out and after that, if I heard nothing. It's okay. Maybe it's not this year but hopefully someday.

Oh shel90 after seeing you being so strong advocate for bilingual program for deaf students, I thought you might like to know about this. Our Mission and Vision::Meisei Gakuen School for the Deaf Tokyo JAPAN I am surprised that it's the only deaf school in the whole Japan to provide such environment to deaf children. At least what I think it is. So, there is some hope yet! That there are some people who are willing to try new idea.

Japan has a sign language community, but it's really small from what I have heard of the official sign language.

They sign their own alphabets, and also incorporate kanji.

Do you plan on utilizing tourism or do you plan to go there on your own? Have a family or friend?

It can get very hard if you are alone there, since not all of them are extremely proficient in english either.

Yep, I am going on my own. Yeah it will probably be hard, but that's okay. I am just there for sightseeing and for adventure. I don't think I am type of person that like to join the group, and besides most of them probably don't have a sign language interpreter to start with. For this trip I think I like to explore thing on my own, getting out of my comfortable zone.

Back