David Cameron refuses to fly private. Saves 300k

Status
Not open for further replies.

yizuman

Reaction score
CASH-CONSCIOUS David Cameron flew out to meet President Barack Obama last night on a regular BA flight - astonishing other passengers.

For the first time on a major official visit, the Premier turned down chartering his own plane to make the two-day trip to Washington DC.

And he even spurned First Class tickets to travel in the far cheaper Business Class. The move saved £200,000 in costs, Downing Street officials said.

Passengers were aghast when Mr Cameron and his team of officials boarded the plane to Dulles airport and took seats beside them.

In the past, PMs travelling on long overseas trips have always chartered a Boeing 747 or 767 - at a cost of £300,000 - or used RAF jets.

It is Mr Cameron's latest attempt to lead from the front on sweeping spending cuts across government to pay off Britain's crippling £155billion deficit.

But flying commercial meant meetings in the US capital had to be arranged around the British Airways flight timetable.

And his money-saving drives are a security headache for his police bodyguards. Appearing in public more often may encourage terrorists to launch a chance attack on him, they have argued.

The move was also met with surprise by American officials, where President Obama travels everywhere on Air Force One - his own 2,000 sq ft Boeing 747.

A No10 source said: "When we are asking the country to tighten their belts as much as we are it's very hard to justify hiring big jets to swan around the world.

"It may make his travel a little harder, but the PM believes it's up to him to set an example."
Source: David Cameron’s flight saves £200k | The Sun |News

Think Obama can do the same every time he takes a vacation every month by using a Commercial plane rather than Air Force One? Nahhhhhh! Wishful thinking.

Yiz

Not impressed. He did not putter along in a moped. :mad:

Think Obama can do the same every time he takes a vacation every month by using a Commercial plane rather than Air Force One? Yiz

Pfft.....Yeah when donkeys fly

oops

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuD3TaANqTE&NR=1]YouTube - Russian Flying Donkey - the original amateur raw video of Parasailing in Russia[/ame]

Not impressed. He did not putter along in a moped. :mad:

I heard obama refer to him as David when speaking to the media.......No biggie, just sounded strange.

I heard obama refer to him as David when speaking to the media.......No biggie, just sounded strange.

Maybe it's easier to say that instead of Bubba with a mouthful of crackers? :lol:

Wow, nice thread derailing, not nice. Please stay on topic of the thread.

Yiz

Wow, nice thread derailing, not nice. Please stay on topic of the thread.

Yiz

Aye sir.

It's wise of the Prime Minister to tighten the belt when there's a huge deficit to take care of.

Well, I would disagree to a point here. Ideally, it sounds great but having the PM on board a public airplane sharing seats with the rest of the passengers make them and the airplane automaticaly terrorist targets if you get my drift.

Well, I would disagree to a point here. Ideally, it sounds great but having the PM on board a public airplane sharing seats with the rest of the passengers make them and the airplane automaticaly terrorist targets if you get my drift.

Ironic because someone accused of the world leaders not taking commercial flights during the whole Climategate ordeal...

very sad that we have become the most paranoid country in the world :dunno:

Ironic because someone accused of the world leaders not taking commercial flights during the whole Climategate ordeal...

A small charter plane would be preferable though. But would you want one of the world leaders on your commercial flight knowing it would target your plane as well? Just asking. Imagine the triple bonus for a terrorist with a rocket shoulder launcher knocking out a large commercial airplane with 220 passengers and one of the world leaders on it. For them it'd be like winning the lottery. I'm talking from a security standpoint. Not about some theory on global warming nonsense and CO2.

A small charter plane would be preferable though. But would you want one of the world leaders on your commercial flight knowing it would target your plane as well? Just asking. Imagine the triple bonus for a terrorist with a rocket shoulder launcher knocking out a large commercial airplane with 220 passengers and one of the world leaders on it. For them it'd be like winning the lottery. I'm talking from a security standpoint. Not about some theory on global warming nonsense and CO2.

ah so you're retracting all "global warming"-related criticisms made toward to certain political figures?

Yes and I'll bet they announced weeks in advance just what flight he would be on. Seriously, I doubt even the airline knew which flight until last minute. Cant complain about him setting a good example. How much we could save in the U.S.A. if all our govt. people used commercial airlines.

Off Topic here....

Have you started to read 'Catcher in the Rye' lately?

Yes and I'll bet they announced weeks in advance just what flight he would be on. Seriously, I doubt even the airline knew which flight until last minute. Cant complain about him setting a good example. How much we could save in the U.S.A. if all our govt. people used commercial airlines.

I agree about Congress using regular airline for their business travels. As for announcing their flight plans, no. But that doesn't mean leaders cannot be tracked by those who are determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back