Dating a deaf man

runkamrun

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm hearing and my new boyfriend is deaf. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to how to make our relationship more successful?

Well i also am hearing and my girlfriend is deaf and i was in your boat awhile ago but u have to find your own way to communicate. the best is to always make sure he is looking at your face when you are talking to him. You could also learn ASL and i know how hard that is because i am trying to learn my self and the most i can do so far is finger spell and some words.

Best of luck

do you want to learn it how relationship issues question to detail!

Hi, I am Deaf and Dating a hearing guy (JOEYB). I think it is nice if you really like him to learn sign (assuming he signs). It shows you want to communicate with him, which is important in any relationship--communication is two way street! Like, I do my part by trying to "hear" and lip read, so its only fair my partner meets half way to sign.

Be patient, repeat yourself without getting upset--be understanding.

Be sure to face him when you are talking...my BF sometime still forgets and trys talking to me from other room or to my back--no no LOL.

Best luck to you guys!!

Hearing here, I used to date a deaf guy.

Show an interest in learning to communicate in a way that works for both of you, and usually that will mean ASL in some way. I'd suggest taking a class on the basics and grammar, but spend a lot of time with him and any friends of his that are also deaf/hoh. Like any language, if you don't also learn the culture you really aren't fully understanding why certain things are the way they are and how to properly communicate.

One thing to realize early is that for most purposes your eyes are your ears when communicating. Looking away or down is a lot like if you were talking to a hearing friend of yours and they decided to put headphones on or walk out of the room (rude).

The most important thing is making some effort and showing you care about having healthy communication. Some people have love interests that wouldn't even think of posting here or asking for any help, so you've already made a great start! :)

I'm also in your boat...hearing dating a deaf guy. He has met a few of my friends and my parents (by accident..they showed up at one of my boys' baseball games..i wasn't ready to introduce him yet)...but i haven't met any of his friends and family. I know how to finger spell and some basic words...but he is good about teaching me a few words every day. For example, while we were driving he taught me "highway" "traffic", and while we were in the store he taught me the fruits and veggies..and other things as we went by.

I guess most of all be patient. Like other people have said earlier, it is like learning a new language...you need to keep doing it. When J isn't around I will try to use as many signs in my daily (hearing) life as I can. I have 3 boys that i practice with, as well as using them at work (granted i get some funny looks). The signs I use the most (besides finger spelling) is SLOW, PLEASE, SORRY, AGAIN, and SIGN (what is the sign for...) But it does take two to make a relationship work...so good luck :D

Show a lot of love and respect as anyone will do in a good healthy relationship. Communication barriers is one of the issues in so learning ASL will help with communicating with your guy.

Wish you the best with your new relationship with him. :)

I'm no expert, but... here's my tid-bit:

My best advice is to not focus on your cultural differences and your communication differences. Their obstacles, but not road blocks - unless you focus on them.

Instead, focus on how close and similar your personalities are. Use your strengths/compatibilities to make your bond stronger, then the obstacles won't be as big of a deal for either of you.

I don't know your ASL ability, but keep it up - it'll pay off big time.

This might be preaching to the choir, but:

Remember to keep eye contact as much as possible when communicating in ASL. We hearies don't use a lot of eye contact when speaking.

ASL's different that way - if you're not looking, you're not "listening."

I hope this helps you out :)

Best wishes to you both,

-MC

It is very not rush because patient ask dating personal! if supposed your patient issues!
it is very pretty patient lots of tough! that is wise your not rush!

I'm deaf and dating a hearing woman. We are not statistic. It's between the 2 of us to make it work depsite our difference. We make it work.

So can you. Just don't worry about--- me(deaf), you(hearing). Just be yourself.

beautiful and mysterious

I have recently entered a relationship with a deaf man who is much younger than me. I't is an unprecedented situation on both counts...

He is very attractive, i don't understand why he would want to be
with me, he has such a large and young circle of friends.

I'm pretty lost, don't know what to expect and how to behave.

The physical side is also tender and intense, the best i have ever
experienced.

I love the quiet, the telling eye contact, the carefully selected conversations.

I need some insight...thanks!

Im in the same boat . My Boyfriend is Deaf and I am hearing .
what works for us , is that we use our phones :s i know it sounds a little stupid but its what helps us . Im learning ASL still . and what I don't know I either finger spell it or type it out and he will show me what it means :)

Back