Dangerous Stunt Turns Deadly For Nashville Teen

cjester27

Reaction score
http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/15836.asp

Dangerous Stunt Turns Deadly For Nashville Teen

Police say Shawn Nipper, 16, was car surfing on McGavock Pike in Two Rivers Park on Saturday night when he died.

Car surfing is where you stand on the roof of a moving car and try to keep your balance while the vehicle is moving.Police say it's one of the most dangerous stunts you can pull with a car.

Police say the 16 year old driver slowed down and Nipper was thrown off the car and onto the pavement. He died at the scene.

The victim’s family says this so-called car surfing is a dangerous, growing trend that parents need to be aware of before it claims more young lives.

“He was great and a lot of people loved him,” said Shawn’s sister, Leah Nipper.

Shawn Nipper was only 16 when he died this past Saturday. His sister, Leah, says Shawn was always something of a risk taker.

“He was just a daredevil type,” said Leah.

But she never imagined he'd take such a big risk. Shawn hit a guard rail and died from a massive head injury. BMX riders at the skateboard park near where Shawn was killed say so-called car surfing is a popular rush for some kids.

Police say car surfing is a growing, dangerous trend and there are different styles. In some cases skateboarders will surf alongside a moving car. Police believe Shawn was lying flat on the roof of a car holding on to the windows on either side.

Whatever the case, Shawn's sister says he saw car surfing on TV and in movies, but her brother clearly underestimated the dangers of what could happen.

Car surfing was first depicted back in the 1980s in movies like Footloose and Teen Wolf. Now it’s in video games and on the internet, and it is illegal.

This year there have been more than two dozen deaths from car surfing nationwide. Most recently, a Western Kentucky University student died this past July when he fell off a car.

In Metro, anyone caught car surfing will be written a ticket. Another 16 year-old was driving the car at the time. He has not been issued a citation yet.

Police say there was no evidence of drinking or drugs at the scene. But, the teen driving could be charged with vehicular homicide. The District Attorney’s office is still investigating.

Geez, it is so sad to see them to do these dangerous stunts. We need to educate our kids not to risk their lives to do any senseless stunts.

I consider myself a risk taker myself, and I do a lot of stupid stunts. But I never pull something that I'm not confident that I can do. This would be one of those things.

Back