'Dangerous' Shih Tzu Faces Death

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Ordinance Says Dog That Attacked Boy Must Be Put Down

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- When you think of dangerous dogs, a 14-pound shih tzu probably isn't at the top of your list.

But St. Johns County has deemed Cyrus a dangerous animal, and he's now facing death because of it.

"We can't distinguish between the breed of dog it was, even though it was a small dog," St. Johns County spokeswoman Karen Pan said. "It doesn't matter if it was a large dog, small dog."

Pan said Cyrus demonstrated his aggressive tendencies in April when he attacked a 5-year-old boy.

According to a court document, the boy was playing in his front yard when the dog darted out of a nearby house. The boy's mother watched Cyrus bite the boy on the head and on the arm.

"Ten stitches he required on the back of his ear," Pan said. "Also, he had marks on his arm, so the dog had attacked in more than one location."

The county ordinance says any dog that attacks a victim above the neck is considered a dangerous dog and must be destroyed.

Philip Stoddard is looking for a stay of execution.

Stoddard is a self-proclaimed dog lover who took over ownership of Cyrus after the attack. He said the county's dangerous dog ordinance is unconstitutional and that there is not enough evidence to prove that Cyrus is dangerous to anyone.

"I just felt a moral responsibility to see that Cyrus gets a good, loving home," said Stoddard, who laughed when asked if he thought Cyrus was a dangerous dog. "They're about the most cuddly breed of dog you can possibly imagine."

Stoddard said he is filing an appeal with the county to try to save Cyrus. He said he is also filing a suit against St. Johns County because he believes the dog ordinance violates the Constitution.

'Dangerous' Shih Tzu Faces Death - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

That's really sad, but the owner should have had the dog under control. It should not have been able to run out the front door and attack.

That's really sad, but the owner should have had the dog under control. It should not have been able to run out the front door and attack.

Sure is, Bott....I'm a lover of Shih Tzu's & Poms.....my Pom, at times, runs towards people in an aggressive manner...she's never bitten anyone tho', and I do scold her....So I've gotten to the point to where I hold her when someone is at the door, etc. (She absolutely hates a leash!)....Poms are so protective and fearless, heart of a lion!

As for this Shih Tzu, I'm hoping it will be saved and with some training will find a good home!

Sure is, Bott....I'm a lover of Shih Tzu's & Poms.....my Pom, at times, runs towards people in an aggressive manner...she's never bitten anyone tho', and I do scold her....So I've gotten to the point to where I hold her when someone is at the door, etc. (She absolutely hates a leash!)....Poms are so protective and fearless, heart of a lion!

As for this Shih Tzu, I'm hoping it will be saved and with some training will find a good home!

Exactly what I do. I have Poodle, Shih Tzu, and Pekingese. Poodles are jolly friendly dogs, but Shih Tzu and Pekes are not really noted for being great with kids. I don't open the front door unless they are leashed or behind a baby gate.

I love my dogs too much to risk anything happening to them. We have that type of viscous dog ordinance here too.

Maybe the dog wasn't well socialized? It's odd for any dog to run out and bite someone.

I never did like small dogs for that reason. For some reason owners don't seem to realize that "nipping" can easily translate to a life-threatening "bite" if the dog is a hundred pounds heavier. It's the same mentality, just not as "lethal" so to speak. I wish more small dog owners control their dogs better. It's sad, because when you talk to them about their problems they always brush it off as "oh, he was only playing!" I would not let my rottweiler treat my friends the same way; why should they let their toy dogs treat me as such? Anyway, sorry about that. Just a rant I got built up inside about irresponsible dog ownership.

I do feel sad that this dog has to be put down according to the law since I do believe dogs can be rehabbed. A Jack Russel Terrier next door to my parents' place mauled a kid. The people decided not to put him down, but rather rehome him to a terrier rehab. A few months later, you can hardly tell it's the same dog anymore. Not a mean bone in his body.

The only way to keep this dog alive is:
1. Get it back from the city pound
2. Move the dog completely out of Florida.

Neither of these will happen, so the dog faces a certain death.

Also I agree with Botts that the owner should have had control over his dog 110% completely. Because of a lapse in control the dog too advantage of that caused injury to a child.

Of course had it been my child I would have beat that dog until it was too scared to set foot on the property and I would have my ER bill sent to the the dog owner.

I understand the situation. What species the dog is does not matter. Every species has bad apples. Just like people, dogs properly raised and socialized grow up to be good dogs. Dogs that are not raised properly are hard to break and take time.

Onething I wonder about, why not de-fang "dangerous" dogs instead of putting them down. Getting gummed by a dog can't hurt that much? LOL

I do have a dog and his name is Marley. He is a mix between American pitbull and boxer pitbull, 65 pounds, 90 percent white.

I understand the situation. What species the dog is does not matter. Every species has bad apples. Just like people, dogs properly raised and socialized grow up to be good dogs. Dogs that are not raised properly are hard to break and take time.

Onething I wonder about, why not de-fang "dangerous" dogs instead of putting them down. Getting gummed by a dog can't hurt that much? LOL

I do have a dog and his name is Marley. He is a mix between American pitbull and boxer pitbull, 65 pounds, 90 percent white.

"De-fang" a dog?...Never heard of it...would be the same as having ur own teeth all pulled out...not a good thought!..and dogs don't wear false teeth.

Not a good idea to me, or the "de-barking" of dogs or the claw removal of cats....

its sad, yes, but its the owners fault. train your dog and that won't happen. And if you can't train them, keep them on a leash 24/7. Pshh bad dog, more like bad owners' training. If the dog is with the right person, then it will be a great dog, just takes finding the right owner. This dog needed better training, or at least a leash. Hopefully the dog won't get put down, and then hopefully he will get better training

Back