Dance and CI?

Finn

Reaction score
I am beginning to think about getting a CI for my left ear. I am a dancer and I was wondering how long I would have to be out of dance class while I recover from surgery? Also how much of your hair do they shave off? Thank you so much! ❤️

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

I am a CI user myself. They won't shave your hair much as they used to be, but it always depends your ENT doctor. You may be likely to be off dancing for at least 4 - 6 weeks, depends on your ENT that can tell you. I was off work for three weeks.

Further details about CI journey, feel free to click my link below under the signature

Every surgeon is different. I know some people who went back to work in less than a week. Only restriction was not to lift anything heavy. I have long hair and they did shave a good bit but it was the underneath hair. My hair on top covered it all the way. Do you know what brand you are going with? I hope you do a ton of research so you can make the best decisions for you. Good luck.

I am beginning to think about getting a CI for my left ear. I am a dancer and I was wondering how long I would have to be out of dance class while I recover from surgery? Also how much of your hair do they shave off? Thank you so much! ❤️

You'd have to talk with your CI clinic...

What kind of dance do you do?

For Ballet - you'd probably be able to be back at the barre in a few weeks. Things like Plies and Tendus wouldn't be a problem at all (even if your balance is a bit off, you've got the barre, and they're gentle).

I'd guess, likely no Port de bras or backbends (anything resembling an inversion) for a month and sautes/jumps etc might be a few months just to make sure everything is really healed and firmly "settled").

It depends, but you are so young. Let's hope that it will take heal nicely between 4 to 6 weeks. My hub had a CI in late 30's and took slow heal nicely more than 6 weeks.

The key is that you can feel balance well after your surgery. My hub does not have good balance after he had surgery..

talk to your doctor about your balance, heal and what kind of shave does doctor plan to.

good luck

will depend on what your surgeon tells you. Generally, no lifting/carry heavy objects (for me, it was nothing over 5 pounds the first week, then nothing over 25 for 3 weeks after that), no bending over for a while, etc.

Some surgeons will shave a bit of hair off, others do not shave anything. It varies.

will depend on what your surgeon tells you. Generally, no lifting/carry heavy objects (for me, it was nothing over 5 pounds the first week, then nothing over 25 for 3 weeks after that), no bending over for a while, etc.

Some surgeons will shave a bit of hair off, others do not shave anything. It varies.

Just curious. Did they explain why lifting with your arms or carrying heavy objects, especially as light as five pounds, would make a difference when in incision is on the head?

no explanation, I never asked. Just followed my surgeon's post-op instructions and that was that. But I have heard from other CI folks who also couldn't carry anything heavy for a little while after their surgeries too so...... Maybe worried about reopening the incision and such?

no explanation, I never asked. Just followed my surgeon's post-op instructions and that was that. But I have heard from other CI folks who also couldn't carry anything heavy for a little while after their surgeries too so...... Maybe worried about reopening the incision and such?

I can understand it if it was abdominal surgery but when the incision is behind the ear?

My mom had ear surgery (minor surgery to remove an extra bone from inside the ear) and she had same/similar restrictions for a few weeks too. So.... yeah I dunno.

Probably, because carrying something with enough weight can build up some tension in the shoulders and neck, and that can lead to tension in the incision behind the ear.

Thank you so much everyone!

Lifting your arms over your head alters the way your circulatory system works. Normally this is no problem but if you've got a giant surgical incision you really don't need the slight but nonzero possibility of it rupturing, causing internal bleeding.

Lifting above the head too much too soon can also stretch the scar. It may not be the most important reason to not lift and your surgeon may not say anything about that scar being stretched in that case. It's not a big scar, but still, scars look way worse when they become stretched. Might not matter so much if your hair covers it but if you have short hair I can understand why one would also be concerned about that.

Back