Dad update

Oceanbreeze

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am coming out of the shadows to update everyone on my Dad's condition regarding the cancer and his lung disease, pulmonary fibrosis.

We received devestating news today. My Dad cancer has returned and there is also a NEW cancer growing in his esophogus. The colon cancer he had has now reached his liver. He goes for a MRI next week which will tell us if they can remove any of the liver cancer or not. As for the new cancer in his esophogus, that was confirmed this morning after an endoscopy was performed. No idea what happens next, but he will have some form of further treatment. I spoke to him by phone and he mentioned radiation and surgery to remove the mass in his esophogus. The location of this mass is at the bottom end of his esophogus; near his stomach. As for the liver spot (or spots), we don't know anymore about that except it's there.

How we arrived at this place is kind of ironic. My Dad has been having issues with swallowing lately (past month or so) and so, he scheduled an endoscopy with his GI Dr who found the mass. Meanwhile, his oncologist called THIS MORNING to tell us the PET scan was abnormal and there was also areas on his liver that were cancerous. So, after he left the hospital from the endoscopy, he met with her. I got the information straight from the Dr this morning. *sigh* Meanwhile, my Mother is up in MD visiting my Grandmother and will be flying back here tomorrow night.

As for the lung disease, it's also progressing. He has lost nearly 70% of his lung capacity now and it won't get better. He's not on oxygen just yet, but I imagine that to change soon.

Honestly, guys... This stinks. I knew two years ago, we would be in this place. I just didn't know how we would arrive here. :( Think good thoughts for us and send prayers if you're inclined. We're in for a really difficult time!

I'm sorry to hear it. I will keep you in my prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear all this. I hope you and your family can be a source of support for each other as you go through these next steps.

It sounds like you will have the holidays with your dad, at least. Give him a hug and let him know how much he means to you. Showing him your love and appreciation might be the best medicine you can possibly give him.

I'm so sorry to hear all this. I hope you and your family can be a source of support for each other as you go through these next steps.

It sounds like you will have the holidays with your dad, at least. Give him a hug and let him know how much he means to you. Showing him your love and appreciation might be the best medicine you can possibly give him.

We do, and, I am thankful. So very thankful! I plan to do just that, too, BG. First thing I will do when he comes home (my sister drove him to the hospital) is give him a hug! I need to hug my Daddy right now. I'm 43 years old, and feel very much like a child at the moment, and, I don't care one single bit! I love that man more than I love life itself!

Thank you for your support!

I am sorry for hear you :( I am pray for keeping your continue keep friends!

Tons of blesssings for you and ur Dad at this very difficult time.....Ur in my thoughts.....

I am SO very sorry :(

It is true, no matter how old we are, we always feel like kids with our parents.
I hope for miracle against all odds for your Daddy, Oceanbreeze.
You and your daddy are in my thoughts, too..

Fuzzy

Hi everyone,

I am coming out of the shadows to update everyone on my Dad's condition regarding the cancer and his lung disease, pulmonary fibrosis.

We received devestating news today. My Dad cancer has returned and there is also a NEW cancer growing in his esophogus. The colon cancer he had has now reached his liver. He goes for a MRI next week which will tell us if they can remove any of the liver cancer or not. As for the new cancer in his esophogus, that was confirmed this morning after an endoscopy was performed. No idea what happens next, but he will have some form of further treatment. I spoke to him by phone and he mentioned radiation and surgery to remove the mass in his esophogus. The location of this mass is at the bottom end of his esophogus; near his stomach. As for the liver spot (or spots), we don't know anymore about that except it's there.

How we arrived at this place is kind of ironic. My Dad has been having issues with swallowing lately (past month or so) and so, he scheduled an endoscopy with his GI Dr who found the mass. Meanwhile, his oncologist called THIS MORNING to tell us the PET scan was abnormal and there was also areas on his liver that were cancerous. So, after he left the hospital from the endoscopy, he met with her. I got the information straight from the Dr this morning. *sigh* Meanwhile, my Mother is up in MD visiting my Grandmother and will be flying back here tomorrow night.

As for the lung disease, it's also progressing. He has lost nearly 70% of his lung capacity now and it won't get better. He's not on oxygen just yet, but I imagine that to change soon.

Honestly, guys... This stinks. I knew two years ago, we would be in this place. I just didn't know how we would arrive here. :( Think good thoughts for us and send prayers if you're inclined. We're in for a really difficult time!

i will give you praying for your father. i am hoping for you be have nice christmas time enjoy with father. i will praying he get successful treatment and strength fighting. be spending more time with him for show supportive. i am very sorry oceanbreeze, i give you hug :hug:

I'm so sorry about your Dad. I went through the same thing at your same age. It's awful. I'll pray for you and your family and hope you can somehow find some peace and joy over this holiday season.

Oceanbreeze,

You and your family have my condolences. Nothing prepares you for news such as yours. If you need a friend to chat with you know where to find me. :)

I'm very sorry to hear about the bad news for your dad. :(

I'll keep praying for him and your family. It's been a hard year, I know.

There is no age limit on being Daddy's girl. :hug:

Sorry to hear your sad news, hope you can spend as much time as you can with him. (hugs)

Sending my condelences to you and your family. Hugs

Thanks everyone!

We're still in a wait and see situation with all this. Dad had the MRI scheduled for this past Monday, but couldn't get it done and had to reschedule. So, the MRI is going to be done this Friday. He sees his oncologist next week, and, we'll see where we're at in terms of what can be done.

What I can tell you is that the esophageal mass is bleeding and Dad is having great difficulty swallowing. He's at risk for a host of complications because of this. There is also more than one mass on his liver. We don't yet know how big they are, how many are there, or where they are on his liver. However, the esophageal mass is fairly large. It all just stinks.

But, we had a nice Christmas and that's all that matters. We will take each day as it comes. Right now, Dad still strong enough to enjoy things, so as the saying goes.. .One day at a time.

More to come...

Thinking of you Oceanbreeze in this extremely difficult time.

Please don't forget we are here whenever you need us.

:grouphug:

Fuzzy

My prayers still linger on for you and ur Dad, Ocean....Am hoping he can get thru this painful time easily....Know it's heart-breaking to lose a parent.

Ocean, I've been in the exact same place as you two years ago. The difficulty swallowing, my father had that problem too. It's really difficult emotionally to watch someone go through advanced cancer and my heart goes out to you. When you get a chance, have a long private talk with your father - all the things you would have wished you had a chance to say before it was too late. It will mean a great deal to both of you.

Back