Dad learning englsih....

I have an issue with pronouncing "sk" at the end, like disk, disc, copydesk and such...
So back in the old day I was giving a training about using the floppy disk and how to make sure it's readable and so forth.
So, at one point when I told everyone in the class to please insert the floppy dick in the drive and everyone suddenly laughed out loud. I have no idea why they are laughing and my supervisor leaned over me and said..."You just said the dirty word!!!" and it took me a few seconds to figure out what I just said... oh sh*t....
So after work at home...I start practicing myself how to pronounce it right all night long..... disssssk! dissssskkk! disssssk!

I've had gotten some customers who weren't skilled at English. They used their kids to help interpret for them when talking with me. I would see kids get irate. It isn't a good feeling.

When my dad was at school his teacher would had dad interpret to the Russian students what she was saying so dad would crack jokes about the teacher in Russian . I really do not think it's fair for the parents to use their kids to interpret for them . The parents should learn English too, my dad's whole family learn how to speak and read English .

I think its ok of kids interpret for their parentz. At least while they are learning the language. Cant just leave them all helpless either. When some family of mine came, i had to be interpreting back anf forth from hebrew to english, Hebrew to spanish. Spanish to hebrew or english. And then english to spanish. It was crazy. x_x

I want to appologize to whatdidyousay! for my post #19. I misread her intent (#18) and so I told the silly story about my father. But she was talking about something sensitive that people have not been nice about, and I didn't catch on to that until I saw her writing about it in another thread. I was going to add this comment to my post, but it's too late to edit now, so I'm putting it here. I'm sorry whatdidyousay!

When my dad was at school his teacher would had dad interpret to the Russian students what she was saying so dad would crack jokes about the teacher in Russian . I really do not think it's fair for the parents to use their kids to interpret for them . The parents should learn English too, my dad's whole family learn how to speak and read English .
I agree that children should not interpret for parents except in the briefest informal situations. They certainly should not interpret doctor appointments, teacher meetings, business activities, legal processes, counseling sessions, or anything that embarrasses or frightens them. It's totally unethical.

Back