D.C. Floods close Gov't Buildings today

Oops I should have mentioned "DC Metro" anyway

They do have outage problems over
5,000 residents in Maryland without any power.
Amazing.

I had lived in the DC area far too long. Looks like the Federal Gov't will always find a reason to shut down... ;)

Let me see what would do it...snow, sleet, freezing rain, a bit of rain, budget issues with the legislature, threat of a hurricane, possible tornado sightings, Potomac cresting the banks, planes flying over the capital, fog everywhere, transit strike...ummm the place always looks for an excuse... :whistle:

sr171soars said:
I had lived in the DC area far too long. Looks like the Federal Gov't will always find a reason to shut down... ;)

Let me see what would do it...snow, sleet, freezing rain, a bit of rain, budget issues with the legislature, threat of a hurricane, possible tornado sightings, Potomac cresting the banks, planes flying over the capital, fog everywhere, transit strike...ummm the place always looks for an excuse... :whistle:

That's quite true even with ONLY one inch of snow !! ;)

Today's TV news reporter even asked if
anyone builds an Ark "just to be prepared for the Flood"....

Y said:
That's quite true even with ONLY one inch of snow !! ;)

Tell me about it! One time while I was working the third shift (computer operations) eons ago in Rockville, the weather was iffy whether we would have a decent snowfall. So, I'm getting on the Beltway (around 7:30 am and rush hour was in full swing) on my way home to Bowie (not far from Annapolis) and the snow turned out worst than expected. The Feds dithered and hemed and hawed whether to tell people to stay home. Finally, they decided that people should either stay or go home. Well, talk about an absolute mess. It was a total fiasco and traffic was tied up for hours just because they didn't decide until most people were on the road. Took me a couple of hours to get home whereas normally it would be some 35 to 40 minutes.

BTW - To assist in understanding why what the Feds does impacts the area so much...it is simply that the Federal Gov't is the biggest employer in the area whether people are directly employed or contractors. So, as they go so goes the whole area...very unique in the country. This is an area of some several millions of people.

hey...i'm here. We've been getting pounded with lots of rain. I'm on midnights this week so I went down to the chesapeake bay at 7am this morning and everthing was flooded. It wasn't as bad as when Isabel hit, but it's bad here. We've had a lot of trees down. We are supposed to get some more rain over the next few days so we'll see what happens. I had my camera with me this morning but it was pouring so I didn't take any pictures of the floods. If its still bad tommorrow morning, I'll snap a few pics :)

sr171soars said:
Tell me about it! One time while I was working the third shift (computer operations) eons ago in Rockville, the weather was iffy whether we would have a decent snowfall. So, I'm getting on the Beltway (around 7:30 am and rush hour was in full swing) on my way home to Bowie (not far from Annapolis) and the snow turned out worst than expected. The Feds dithered and hemed and hawed whether to tell people to stay home. Finally, they decided that people should either stay or go home. Well, talk about an absolute mess. It was a total fiasco and traffic was tied up for hours just because they didn't decide until most people were on the road. Took me a couple of hours to get home whereas normally it would be some 35 to 40 minutes.

BTW - To assist in understanding why what the Feds does impacts the area so much...it is simply that the Federal Gov't is the biggest employer in the area whether people are directly employed or contractors. So, as they go so goes the whole area...very unique in the country. This is an area of some several millions of people.

Yeah thats why the Federal Gov't created the word
"Liberal Leave" with captions on TV News
to allow us to make our own judgement
whether to stay home or go to work depends on your area.
I like that...
But I haven't seen that word "Liberal Leave"
on TV news anymore. I don't know why.

I am glad that I don't live in the lower 48 states soon. I will be GONE to Alaska this comin' July 8th on Saturday. I will stay in Alaska for good this time since, I've seen too many problems goin' on around in the lower 48 states so far lately. I will NOT feel good about livin' in the lower 48 states if, I should stay. It will be a BAD vibe for me.

sr171soars said:

They got their adminstration leave pay. Lucky them !

Taylor said:
hey...i'm here. We've been getting pounded with lots of rain. I'm on midnights this week so I went down to the chesapeake bay at 7am this morning and everthing was flooded. It wasn't as bad as when Isabel hit, but it's bad here. We've had a lot of trees down. We are supposed to get some more rain over the next few days so we'll see what happens. I had my camera with me this morning but it was pouring so I didn't take any pictures of the floods. If its still bad tommorrow morning, I'll snap a few pics :)

Thought, you were gone with Noah Ark ?

17%20Noahs%20Ark.jpg

sr171soars said:

Well that's not true. I work for a Gov't agency (over 2 years) in DC and we have not had any "closed" days here. We do have "unscheduled leave" which allows us to use our personal leave if we cannot come in to work. I personally think that the Gov't will still stay open unless under serious circumstances, not over little things.

SilverPanda said:
Well that's not true. I work for a Gov't agency (over 2 years) in DC and we have not had any "closed" days here. We do have "unscheduled leave" which allows us to use our personal leave if we cannot come in to work. I personally think that the Gov't will still stay open unless under serious circumstances, not over little things.

It was "tongue in cheek" but there is some grain of truth in it. I left DC over 8 years ago and I worked as a consultant for many years for the Feds. Even I (a consultant at that) got paid on some of these days that they closed the gov't for weather related issues. It was legendary when snow threatened how everybody yammered about it possibly closing down.

You are right, it didn't happen often but it did here and there. I just couldn't resist poking fun at my old town... :whistle:

CyberRed said:
I am glad that I don't live in the lower 48 states soon. I will be GONE to Alaska this comin' July 8th on Saturday. I will stay in Alaska for good this time since, I've seen too many problems goin' on around in the lower 48 states so far lately. I will NOT feel good about livin' in the lower 48 states if, I should stay. It will be a BAD vibe for me.

You're brave! I don't think I'd survive my first Alaskan winter. ;)

I just hope you won't be expecting a perfect paradise, though...sadly, every place has its problems. :(

Rose Immortal said:
You're brave! I don't think I'd survive my first Alaskan winter. ;)

I just hope you won't be expecting a perfect paradise, though...sadly, every place has its problems. :(

You'd survive just alright. Just think positive is all you can do. In the southeast area in Alaska is even better. ;)

Nah, I don't expect it a perfect paradise, but to feel safe on a safe side.

I have never lived in DC or Maryland so forgive me if I ask dumb question...is it normal for that area to get heavy rain and flooding at this time (summer) of the year??

I know it rains there during the summer time.

Saw on the news right now and wow lots of water flood over up to the cars door near windows oh yikes.

Back