CV - CaptiView Closed Captioned Impressions

peternagy

Reaction score
My company gave us an afternoon off and bought us movie tickets to watch Hunger Games today. This is my first time in about ten years I've watch a movie at the theater. This theater happened to have CaptiView Closed Captioned device.

Overall I had pretty good experience with this device. Two minor issues I noticed:

1) The texts appear and then disappear quite a bit quicker than typical closed captioning from TV. So I had to keep an eye on the device's display quite often.
2) Every once in a while the texts would not complete the sentence. I would get a blank screen instead of seeing the remaining words to fill the sentence. It sounds like timing issue between CV device and the projector.

I was pretty surprised it was battery operated and wireless. The wireless part may be a little buggy and responsible for some missing texts. I didn't not have any focusing issues between the device and movie screen.

Peter

1) The texts appear and then disappear quite a bit quicker than typical closed captioning from TV. So I had to keep an eye on the device's display quite often.
2) Every once in a while the texts would not complete the sentence. I would get a blank screen instead of seeing the remaining words to fill the sentence. It sounds like timing issue between CV device and the projector.

Peter
Were you the only one who used the device at that time? If not, did others have the same problem, too? I hate it when it is captioned too fast, I won't be able to understand what they are saying. At theaters, unfortunately we can't rewind it if we miss some captions. I always rewind a few seconds in case I miss the captions on DVDs and DVR so I can understand it better.

Anyway the point is that if all CV movies are having the issues you mentioned, then I don't think it's worth it. Those issues are not minor, they are major for most of deaf people like me.

I am not sure if I was the only one using the device. Even if it worked perfectly, I personally would rather watch Blu-ray movies with my 65" plasma TV. My TV seems to be better quality than at the theater. I could see some graininess on the screen at the theater and I didn't think the picture was sharp. I would rather lie down on a sofa in my house watching TV than sitting upright for over 2 hours in a theater.

Have you tried this CV device?

Peter

No, I haven't tried it yet but I don't think I want to.

I prefer watching BD movies on my 55" LED TV at home like you do. More comfortable and private, that's called home entertainment. That way I can pause, rewind, replay or skip any scene anytime via HTPC using XBMC which can download subtitles automatically. (More explanation in my thread "XBMC")

I have watched so many 1080p movie torrents even one week to two months earlier before they are released on DVD/BD if you know what I mean (I have not rented/purchased a movie for a long time).

Back