Customizable bicycles?

authentic

Reaction score
I have been looking for customizable road bicycles via online, not many good sites except this.

Urban Outfitters Bike Shop | Build

For $399, reasonable price.

Do you guys know any good customizable bicycles I can order via ONLINE?

I prefer shocks at front and back for smooth ride and almost anywhere.

This bicycles is good for smooth road only.

having rear and front suspensions are usually not great for commuting because it makes you slower than front-suspension only or none. that's why my best friend always borrowed my front-suspension bike when he lived in NYC. His full-suspension bike is way too slow.

and c'mon.... you're riding bike... not motorcycle :lol:

having rear and front suspensions are usually not great for commuting because it makes you slower than front-suspension only or none.

I am waiting for better looking harleys coming out few years later from now. :D

I prefer shocks at front and back for smooth ride and almost anywhere.

This bicycles is good for smooth road only.

True. SF is a city where a lot of people use bike to transport. Even better is BART (subway) allow bikers to bring their bike in subway to travel (except those limited rush hours, and not allow to bring bike in car #1). I want a lightweight and customizable road bicycle for work. :hmm:

I think Specialized bicycles are good. DO you own a road bike yourself?

True. SF is a city where a lot of people use bike to transport. Even better is BART (subway) allow bikers to bring their bike in subway to travel (except those limited rush hours, and not allow to bring bike in car #1). I want a lightweight and customizable road bicycle for work. :hmm:

Talk to Mister Potter. He's got dozens. and yes you'll definitely want a lightweight bike. You can lift my mountain bike with one hand.

I do own a Trek with front shock since I was teenage. The heavy weight do not bother to me at all. Chicago's road and sidewalk are awful. I tried my brother's bike with both shocks and I love that and very smooth. I dunno about SF.

having rear and front suspensions are usually not great for commuting because it makes you slower than front-suspension only or none. that's why my best friend always borrowed my front-suspension bike when he lived in NYC. His full-suspension bike is way too slow.

I don't feel any different between single shock and dual shocks for speed. Maybe it's bad design of frame that cause heavy weight.

I don't feel any different between single shock and dual shocks for speed. Maybe it's bad design of frame that cause heavy weight.

we both own Klein bicycles. Definitely not bad design. It sucks that Trek acquired Klein. It's always a known fact that full-suspension bicycle is not great for speed. Maybe you're a slow rider? :dunno:

we both own Klein bicycles. Definitely not bad design. It sucks that Trek acquired Klein. It's always a known fact that full-suspension bicycle is not great for speed. Maybe you're a slow rider? :dunno:

I don't care if suck or not. I have no problem with that and it's over 12 years old and still strong. I will ask my brother what brand of bike he own.

I am refraining from saying anything here in regards of the posters above.... Except for the one thing: any sorts of suspension will make you slower. If you get a road bike and still are slow, chances are YOU are slow :)

But I personally know of a site where you can customize a bike for yourself and its very high quality -- rideblue.com

I wouldn't really call that a road bike. It's a fixie/single speed, so it's really more like a commuter/trendy bike.

If your bike has suspension, chances are it weighs a lot. Unless it's carbon but still. And if it's full suspension it'll weigh even more. Suspension makes you slow because you lose a lot of power transfer to the pedals in all the shock absorption. Hop on a road bike and see the difference.

Specialized bikes are good, I'm riding an Allez Elite now. My mountain bike is a Trek but I never touch it now, I only ride my road bike. Every major brand is good, the most important thing is how you fit the bike and frame geometry and such. Test days are the best because you can try the bikes out for a good amount of time and see how comfortable it is for you. I'm waiting for a few more different test days as I've only had a chance to ride Trek's so far. I obviously fell in love with the Madone 6.9, an absolute dream. I enjoyed all the 29ers be it full or front suspension. I actually liked every bike I rode that day.

Here's a link to another customizable bike brand. You'll get more street cred on an IRO.
Build-A-Bike

Get a bike that is comfortable, check out your local bike shop for help and fittings.

And it's 5:20am and I need to go to bed. Happy biking.

Why not just get all the parts on your own? Complete project.
People always selling frames on fleabay, bikeforums.net, craigslist etc. Get your own frames, forks, the whole works there.

If you aren't in hurry to get one, that's a better buy and you will save in the long run for the best quality to me.

Since you are in SF, seems like it's better choice to me to get a hybrid cuz of the roads. Bigger tire to absorb more impact than a road bike, goes faster than a cruiser. Won't be as hard to go up telegraph hill compared to MTB.
Guess it's up to your style.

If you try REI (there should be a lot of stores in sf) they can customize any bikes you buy there. But beware it's more expensive since it's higher build class. Mine cost in the $700's, but I've seen a few in the thousands.

I have the 105 gruppo, I'm pretty sure that's the stock gruppo for Elites. I guess I said what you wanted to say about bikes with suspension etc lol.

Building your own bike could be more costly, it adds up. I guess if you are doing a fixie/SS assembly might not be as tricky, but i'd rather let a pro assemble mine. I guess depends on what kind of hybrid, most of them now are still 700x28c like a road bike. Hybrids now kinda have two catagories, fitness and commuter. Commuters tend to have the wider tires and possibly shocks.

$700 is pretty cheap for a bike, well depending on what it is. The Trek Madone 6.9 that I test drove, aka my girlfriend, the one I was on was about $15,000. zomfg what a dream. I'm thinking of going on a carbon road bike next year. Seeing road bikes over 1k isn't too hard lol, mine's MSRP is close to 2k, but that's also in Canadian MSRP.

If you want, you can try to find a used bike. Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more! See if there is anything near you, you can always try to haggle, you don't have to pay tax and you can find good deals.

Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties If you don't mind not having a name brand etc, this will do. Free shipping, mostly assembled, decent pricing.

I haven't been on a bike since I was 10. Wonder if I forgot how :hmm:

:lol:

Funny thing is I am thinking about buying a bike shop that is for sale in NM.... :lol:

Back