custom molds vs domes

efigalaxie

Reaction score
I have had custom molds all my life. I have moderate to severe loss. More concentrated loss in the high frequencies....nerve damage and not structural damage. My curve looks like a lopsided U.

Are the domes an option, or will I be better off continuing on with custom molds???

Domes not for BTE???

I should have mentioned that I wear BTEs. Are domes not for them? Do BTEs require a mold?

You'll have to ask your audiologist as I know in the software that program's my BTE hearing aids, you have to put in to the software that you'll be wearing domes rather then molds. It then sets the hearing aids correctly to be used with domes. If your software for your hearing aids doesn't have that option, then you won't be able to wear them.

Ah ok. Your first post was confusing as you just asked if BTE hearing aids can be used with Domes or Molds?

I have a custom mold and domes for my Phonak Bolero BTEs. Right now my programming is setup for my custom mold, but I've swapped back to the dome because it sounds better to me, go figure. So far the molds just sound hollow, but with the dome not so much. But my hearing loss is constantly fluctuating so trying to get the aid programmed and tweaked for my hearing loss is a constant battle. I just had to go in Friday because it dropped again and I had to get everything re-adjusted. Still think the dome sounds better than my custom mold which is a bit irritating.

Custom fit molds vs domes

I have a new pair of Phonak Q90's and the audi fit me with a pair of custom molds (my first) and I can't get used to them. My ears feel like they're stuffed full of a wad of something even after sending back to Phonak for a better fitting. Folks, try as hard as i may, I can't stand the things. when I chew it sounds (to me) like coffee grinding or worse and and is so LOUD I need one comfort in noisel programs in the HA's. When I talk it sounds (to me) like i'm in a barrel or cave. The Audie tries to tell me I'll get used to it and I say to myself "For what I paid for these things I'll be darned if I'm putting up with this BS any longer.....Give me some domes (which is what ('m used to and have worked beautifully for me in the past or take these back and I'll go else where. Remember now...this is my experience with molds and you should go with what works for you. However, I I know what it's like to want to check different things out.
Jim

for me, I always have customized full shell earmolds since my hearing loss sucks really bad. (see my signature)

My loss iss in the moderate to severe range

I have savia 311dsZ BTEs. So I guess that hints at my deafness.

I have savia 311dsZ BTEs. So I guess that hints at my deafness.

My husband has gone from the molds to domes with a severe loss. They are Siemens Pure with power domes, and he likes it much more and finds it comfortable.

I have a new pair of Phonak Q90's and the audi fit me with a pair of custom molds (my first) and I can't get used to them. My ears feel like they're stuffed full of a wad of something even after sending back to Phonak for a better fitting. Folks, try as hard as i may, I can't stand the things. when I chew it sounds (to me) like coffee grinding or worse and and is so LOUD I need one comfort in noisel programs in the HA's. When I talk it sounds (to me) like i'm in a barrel or cave. The Audie tries to tell me I'll get used to it and I say to myself "For what I paid for these things I'll be darned if I'm putting up with this BS any longer.....Give me some domes (which is what ('m used to and have worked beautifully for me in the past or take these back and I'll go else where. Remember now...this is my experience with molds and you should go with what works for you. However, I I know what it's like to want to check different things out.
Jim

Maybe a vent in the earmold might help? It helped me, and I can't do without it,because of the weird feeling and noise. Just feels more natural.

Maybe a vent in the earmold might help? It helped me, and I can't do without it,because of the weird feeling and noise. Just feels more natural.

yeah, it always helps alot! I have one in both of my earmolds to let out the sounds :)

Back