Culturally Responsible Movies

RElliott10303

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I plan to host a film series for my job that will screen movies related to Deaf Culture. Any suggestions (other than Through Deaf Eyes, which was shown last year)? I want it to be a film that highlights Deaf culture, but shows Deaf people in a familiar context that can help socialize Deaf people into the daily lives of hearing people that know nothing about Deaf culture! No pity, no isolation... maybe some struggle, but ultimately a happy, powerful message about Deaf pride! Taking all suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elliott

Hello everyone,

I plan to host a film series for my job that will screen movies related to Deaf Culture. Any suggestions (other than Through Deaf Eyes, which was shown last year)? I want it to be a film that highlights Deaf culture, but shows Deaf people in a familiar context that can help socialize Deaf people into the daily lives of hearing people that know nothing about Deaf culture! No pity, no isolation... maybe some struggle, but ultimately a happy, powerful message about Deaf pride! Taking all suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elliott

Do a mini-series. The issues facing Deaf, deaf and Hard-of-Hearing are vast and can't really be covered in one film. That's where Through Deaf Eyes fell short, they tried to cover all aspects of the deaf world within two hours.

I suggest trying to focus on one thing. Maybe covering Deaf President Now?

In the Land of the Deaf, it's from France, and you can only buy it VHS, but it is good (DVD version doesn't work on American made DVD players)-- see if you can get it from the local library.

Back