cultural questions from a student

lisa reed

Reaction score
Hello!
Recently joined and was hoping to find some people willing to answer some cultural questions regarding the Deaf community, challenges faced as a minority population (prejudice, discrimination), sources of support and resources, etc. I do have some knowledge of Deaf culture from my ASL classes a few years back. As part of this project I attended Christ Deaf Lutheran Church this morning and have to say that it was the best church session I have ever attended!

Hope to hear from you soon!
Lisa

thank you

I read your post after posting my own and I must say I was disappointed. There have been PhD's who have agreed to my phone interviews in order to complete assignments because they were willing to help a grad student. This current assignment is NOT for ASL, it is a cultural immersion project (social and cultural foundations in counseling) and I chose the Deaf community as the minority I wanted to learn more about. I really need specific thoughts and opinions from an individual about their own experience; however, I have taken your advice and began combing through the many posts for general information that is available. I especially liked the one where all posts were to be backwards from how the poster really feels and one in particular said that they really liked helping ASL students learn more about the Deaf experience and culture. Wow. It is the dissonance that has been created between the hearing and Deaf that I am interested in bridging. Years back, my ASL teacher told our class that the Deaf do not seek counseling (mental health services) because of fear...me, wanting to be a psychologist and wanting to be able to help all people including minorities, have had this in the back of my head. There ARE hearing people that want to bridge the gap. Hearing people that ARE aware of how people in general (not just minorities) wish to be treated and would do so with the utmost respect.

After reading the many posts, I am now more aware of the thoughts and attitudes of many Deaf persons. As for me, I will continue attending the Deaf church (love signing and singing and will get better at signing) and I will continue to learn from the many members of this great organization!

Firstly, I'll apologise for the tone of my response, but I'm tired, and should've gone to bed hours ago. :)

I also wish to encourage you to continue learning about the deaf community, as you already are, but please don't get defensive, because that will make your journey even more difficult.

It should be mentioned before people start to become defensive and this conversation becomes a huge fight, that you did come in - barely introducing yourself by the looks of things, and vaguely ask for information about challenges, general support, and general information. As a result, you got a (hopefully) helpful link to some existing notes. You did not mention any specifics, nor that you wanted to contribute and provide potentially provide substantial services as one who will be quite knowledgable about the deaf, although I suspect that as an initial question, you would've still gotten the same answer - to check existing resources, because this is not something that can easily be answered in a few short catch phrases. Additionally, there is sometimes a profound difference in understanding what that cultural gap is between deaf people and hearing people, often by both parties. (For instance, many deaf have no idea why hearing people find using an interpreter is weird for hearing people!)

Additionally, lets address a few points:
1) The sign language used by the deaf community is part of its culture, is not distinct. To learn and master ASL means to learn and become part of the deaf community.
2) Only a minority of people in a population tend to want to evangelize and break through to new ground. PhD's tend to be part of that minority in the academic community. Most students who attend university just go through the motions, get their bit of paper, and enter the workforce. It is the same with the deaf community, with one difference: The same points that are still being raised today were already raised before, but the deaf community often feels that they fall on "deaf ears". By contrast, the PhD researcher who helped you with your assignment likely felt that it would make a substantial difference to a field he is passionate about.
3) It is commendable that you want to help deaf people in the field of counselling, however it is imperative that such counselling is done with an understanding of their culture, community, history, and language, and the deaf community is one with a history of having people make decisions for them, without their consultation. This won't be easy to overcome.
4) The deaf community isn't neccessarily as singular as you may believe - there is a lot of smaller subcommunities within the whole - we are all individuals. Taking your point about signing and singing, some deaf people love that, others, such as me, really couldn't care less if there wasn't a song in the world. Music holds no passion for me, even if I can feel it, and even if it is intepreted. If the interpretation is very good (ie, it's practically translated, with weeks of preparation), then I may enjoy it, but at a symbolic/poetical level not because of the music, so don't feel surprised when you discover that not all deaf people will react and encourage you with your song signing.

Finally, may I wish you well as you continue to become a part of the deaf community. :)

I would not like to have any hearing person making the decisions for me to try to "fix" me and to know which schools to go to like the mainstream school with no sign language like ASL or BSL. Growing up is just make it more difficult when it comes to communication especially with wanting to be with deaf children or deaf adults. Most parents and also other authorities like GBell wanting us to speak and listen (impossible) and to talk with the hearing people orally. Lipreading is also impossible, too. We can understand about 30% of what the hearing person say. This has not work out at all if any hearing people can understand what we have been through with our deafness. No hearing person never understand what being deaf is like. Every hearing person think that we can hear the words which it is not true. I can only hear the environment sounds but not pick up the words from the person's mouth. Sign language is a must for all Deaf and HOH children and adults all over the countries on the Planet Earth. Without it, you have no idea. :(

Hello and welcome to AD.

You will want to slow down with your need for input. Try putting up your email or a website where deaf can leave comments to your questions.

There are many many reequests such as yours and there is a fourm rule about this.

Would be better if you post 1 thread at a time asking 1 specific ? That can be discussed at length.

Beware . There are more than a few junkyard AD dogs on here and they will tear into you if you do not tread carefully.

Back