cued speech

jamielee

Reaction score
Hi
I have herd alittle about what cued speech is, but I dont really understand what it does. Can someone give me a simple explanation please. I understand that it uses 8 hand signs in the facial area. help? Thanks.

There is probably a thread about this somewhere, so type in Cued Speech in the search area and you will probably find something much better than this. There are also people who know way more about this who will hopefully respond, like loml, hopefully.
But, to give you my abbreviated version, trying to be as objective as possible:
Cued speech is used by deaf/hoh people to aid lipreading. Some sounds look EXACTLY the same on the lips, so, to differentiate, handshapes have been made that correlate with certain sounds. That way, when people aren't sure if you are saying, for example, "ma" "pa" or "ba" they can see your handshape and know. Essentially, cued speech makes some phonetics visual.
This system is much easier for adults who have lost their hearing, and hearing people working with deaf children to learn than a signing system or language.

Cued speech has the distinguished advantage of ease of learning. Parents of deaf children may learn and master the method very quickly. Learning the system may take as short as a day and mastery follows shortly thereafter.

Many cued speech advocates argue that Cued Speech provides very significant access to verbal english by visually demonstrating the parts of speech that do not appear on the lips. They further say that parents can spend years and years learning ASL and by the time they are fluent their beloved baby is a few years old and now suffers from language impairment due to lack of language exposure. To further their point, in many instances, hearing parents never master the language, signing in something that resembles broken ASL.

The advantage of Cued Speech is simply that it offers the parents a simple, efficient English-based language-rich system to learn and apply to their child immediately.

Endymion said:
The advantage of Cued Speech is simply that it offers the parents a simple, efficient English-based language-rich system to learn and apply to their child immediately.

CuedEnglish/CuedSpeech offers the family the opportunity to communicate in the language of their family, enabling a deaf child to learn language phonemically and rhythmically at the same pace as their hearing peers.

CE/CS enpowers the family to be independant within their own family unit with regard to early communication, inclusion and literacy.

The National Cued Speech Association envisions that:

• Individuals communicate effectively in the language(s) of their family and society.
• Families are informed about Cued Speech along with other communication options.
• Their rights are respected and instruction is provided to facilitate the use of cued languages.
• Students achieve literacy through full access to language and education.
• Educators and institutions respect and implement cueing as a mode of communication.
• Professionally trained and certified cueing transliterators are available.

http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/about/mission.asp

I can cue expressively because I took a class, but unfortunately I never have the opportunity to practice receiving cueing because I took that class alone! I would love to find a way to improve my cueing skills.

Back