Cued speech vs ASL

angiemayer

Reaction score
I am curious what the hoh or deaf community prefer more. Cued speech or ASL? Which one is easier to learn? I have a 2 year old who might need to learn one or both... just don't know which one to study more.

Deaf community would say ASL.

I think you should do what's best for your kid, not what a community thinks is best.

Asl for language development...cued speech is a teaching tool to learn English

It is a lot better with ASL. :rockon:

Cued Speech is something I just can not tolerate and I don't like it. :roll:

I am comfortable with ASL. It is the best thing is trust your motherly instincts to see what your kid is comfortable with either that or that.

American Sign Language is a language, Cued Speech is a tool used in teaching children the language of the parents' choice.

Thank you for the input everyone! I will go to the old postings... I am thinking if I teach my daughter ASL, cued speech would confuse her... thanks for the info.

Thank you for the input everyone! I will go to the old postings... I am thinking if I teach my daughter ASL, cued speech would confuse her... thanks for the info.

There's a significant difference between the two. One is easier to learn, i.e. Cued Speech, whereas the other takes years of practice to gain proficiency. They each have advantages and disadvantages but my opinion is that Cued Speech works best with hearing parents of deaf kids as it allows them to use their own language, (in most cases, English). Would you ask a parent to learn Spanish just to talk to their own son/daughter? That's in essence what you'd have to do with ASL. If you want full access, CS is the way to go. I'm not biased as I've used both and understand what each is all about. Above someone said CS is a tool to teach language, which is very accurate.

My own 2 cents - and I haven't read the CS posting - the link didn't work, so not sure how accurate that information is. A great place is National Cued Speech Association to learn about it.

I know both with cued speech and sign language. Most of people use sign language.

I am curious what the hoh or deaf community prefer more. Cued speech or ASL? Which one is easier to learn? I have a 2 year old who might need to learn one or both... just don't know which one to study more.

What sites have you visited so far in learning more about your options?

ASL.....ASL totally. Cued speech was never meant to be a communication system. It was meant to be used in the classroom for deaf kids to learn English phoneticly.

There's a significant difference between the two. One is easier to learn, i.e. Cued Speech, whereas the other takes years of practice to gain proficiency. They each have advantages and disadvantages but my opinion is that Cued Speech works best with hearing parents of deaf kids as it allows them to use their own language, (in most cases, English). Would you ask a parent to learn Spanish just to talk to their own son/daughter? That's in essence what you'd have to do with ASL. If you want full access, CS is the way to go. I'm not biased as I've used both and understand what each is all about. Above someone said CS is a tool to teach language, which is very accurate.

My own 2 cents - and I haven't read the CS posting - the link didn't work, so not sure how accurate that information is. A great place is National Cued Speech Association to learn about it.
Loml, long time no see. Nice try to create a new user.

Angiemayer, this poster is working for National Cued Speech Association, so you should take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Cued Speech is easier for you in the short run, like a few weeks, but the changes is it will suck for your kid if that's the only thing you use.

What "Simonroffe" don't tell you, is that years of practicing ASL to gain a specific level of proficency not is necessary. Simply saying it takes years to master it, whithout explaining what he mean with it, is just some scare tactics. He will probably pull up some outdated and carefully picked papers will make his claims look true, but I advise you to stick with real academics jourals printing different kind of state of the art research if you want to look further into this.

All the arguments from "Simonroffe" are basically the same as you will see from hard core oralist(the view that ASL don't matter or have damaging effects). He is trying to manipulate you when he says he not is biased, or by implying that other posters here agree with him when they say CS is a tool to teach language. No one here have said so far it's cool to use CS as a communication tool, too.

At this board you will se no one complain about their hearing parents use ASL with them, no matter level of proficency, but you will see mixed opinions about Cued Speech. You also might want to learn about Visual Phonics, a more up to date system, that is even is used in some serious schools as a special needs education tool, though that system is still not a everyday communication tool in those schools.

There are tons of fun ASL courses all over america where I suppose you live. Maybe posters here can help you find a good course where you live. Plenty of colleges employ deaf tutors that will make ASL a fun experience for you and your child. The different national sign languages are a full on languages, and bridges to other languages, used and loved by millions of people all over the world.

That said, my advice is to ultimately listen to your kid, your child have the final answers, not me or "Simonroffe".

Would you ask a parent to learn Spanish just to talk to their own son/daughter?

If that child only knew Spanish, then a resounding YES. Same for ASL. Same for any other language. Why would you not want to take the time to learn a language so you can communicate with ... YOUR OWN CHILD ?

Thanks for all of your input. I am thinking that ASL is the way for me to go with my daughter and to teach all of my other kids and husband. The thing I am running into now, is all our relatives... I don't know if they will actually take the time to learn
ASL... which in turn would make it so they aren't as much of her life, for this reason, I have wondered if after we have ASL down (as far as a basic in our home), if we should do cued speech so she could communicate with all of my "stubborn, and sadly uneducated family." just typing this makes me feel frustrated... How do you communicate with Hearing people that are soooo closed minded? I hope that she will be the bridge... she is so pure and sweet!! She is already teaching me soo much!... I have to run right now because she keeps signing drink to me!!! What a difference from screaming and hitting me!! Thank you ASL!!

Thanks for all of your input. I am thinking that ASL is the way for me to go with my daughter and to teach all of my other kids and husband. The thing I am running into now, is all our relatives... I don't know if they will actually take the time to learn
ASL... which in turn would make it so they aren't as much of her life, for this reason, I have wondered if after we have ASL down (as far as a basic in our home), if we should do cued speech so she could communicate with all of my "stubborn, and sadly uneducated family." just typing this makes me feel frustrated... How do you communicate with Hearing people that are soooo closed minded? I hope that she will be the bridge... she is so pure and sweet!! She is already teaching me soo much!... I have to run right now because she keeps signing drink to me!!! What a difference from screaming and hitting me!! Thank you ASL!!

:lol: That's awesome that she can communicate.....well with communcation issues, go for a full toolbox......meaning yeah ASL but also ....actually there is something called augmentive and alternative communication, which is for kids with apraxia and expressive spoken language issues..... you gotta give her the tools, but it's up to HER how she uses the tools....undy now? I have a friend whose son is mildly mentally handicapped but uses ASL as a communcation tool......and they offered him the choice of PECs (Picture Exchange Communciation System)

Not sure if you have access to something like this, but the Family Sign program in my state is designed so that the entire family (neighbors, friends, anyone associated with the child) can participate in each lesson, in your home. And if they are distant, you might be able to include them via Skype or videophone. But I found that my daughter took great pleasure in teaching family members her language whenever she saw them, which they were far more open to receiving than in the form of lessons from a stranger. I think she began doing this regularly at roughly 2YO. Her cousins were so wonderful about it -- 2 of them initiated brownie / girl scout programs in which they learned ASL with their troops and surprised my daughter at one big Christmas dinner by showing off their short but very welcomed phrases and using their new language whenever possible.

Not sure if you have access to something like this, but the Family Sign program in my state is designed so that the entire family (neighbors, friends, anyone associated with the child) can participate in each lesson, in your home. And if they are distant, you might be able to include them via Skype or videophone. But I found that my daughter took great pleasure in teaching family members her language whenever she saw them, which they were far more open to receiving than in the form of lessons from a stranger. I think she began doing this regularly at roughly 2YO. Her cousins were so wonderful about it -- 2 of them initiated brownie / girl scout programs in which they learned ASL with their troops and surprised my daughter at one big Christmas dinner by showing off their short but very welcomed phrases and using their new language whenever possible.

Exactly....make it cool make it FUN!!!!!!!!!

GrendelQ and deafdyke... thank you for your posts! That has really given me some great ideas on how to include the family... I am so excited, and keep asking myself... why I didn't think of that!! (the skype thing). I am actually looking up Apraxia right now to see if we need to rule it out (as far as diagnosis).

Thanks again for all your info!

Back