criteria of having a CI

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
What's criteria for having CI impanted ? ...
Do you know anything about that ?
I did search a little but it seems blurry to me :dunno:

rockdrummer said:
It might depend but here is a site that I found doing a search.

http://www.asha.org/about/legislation-advocacy/2005/cms-cochlear.htm

Yes I guess it does depend.. and varies a bit depending on where you decide to get a CI. Thanks rockdrummer for that link.

Here is some general criteria (or at least what I had to meet before they considered me a candidate)

1. Profound Sensorineural loss- but this is changing, more ppl with less severe hearing losses are being accepted for CI's.

2. Intact cochlea (meaning your cochlea must not have any ossification or bony substance buildup, or any type of malformation such as birth defect or damage from disease/tumors/etc..

In the past they would usually only consider people who had good 'sound memory', such as people who were once able to hear but lost it for whatever reason...or people who wore hearing aids consistently until they got the CI, because the success factor would have been greater as for speech recognition. But nowadays more and more profoundly, un-aided deaf and even some pre-lingual deaf folks are choosing to get the CI simply because they want the ability to hear environmental sounds, improve lipreading skills, etc.

Some places will also require a potential candidate to undergo a psychological assessment, because getting a CI is a life-changing thing and the results can be overwhelming, especially to those who have little or no hearing experience. They want to know if the patient will be able and willing to cope with everything that comes with a CI.

The best place to find out exact candidacy criteria for any individual is to visit a CI center and get evaluated, because each person's criteria will probably vary by some degree.

:scatter:

I had to have lots of tests to determine:

1. I had the nescessary ear structure for a CI - this involved an MRI and CT scan.

2. That I was getting no benefit from my hearing aids - this involved speech comprehension tests with hearing aids and lipreading, with just hearing aids and no lipreading and with no hearing aids but lipreading.

3. A test to see if the auditory nerve was functioning - they put a probe in my ear and sent some digital signals. I had to say how many times the signals transmitted and I had to tell the difference in sound between different signals.

4. A balance test to ensure that I would not be at risk for balance problems after having a CI implanted.

I have balance problems due to vertigo. I wonder if that will affect my getting CI? I wonder? hmm..

Luckysmile23 said:
I have balance problems due to vertigo. I wonder if that will affect my getting CI? I wonder? hmm..

I have a few friends who struggle with vertigo and got CI to help with that. I dont know if it will hinder your chances or not.

Best thing is to see your own audiologist and ask questions. Everyone is different in their own situations.

My audiologist approved me for a CI because I was raised oral. I was trained to use hearing aids so he felt that my chances of adjusting to a CI was good. They dont always feel a CI is good for these who have never received hearing aid training in their youth. (I am referring to adults getting CI, not kids) They implanted CI in my ear that I used hearing aids the most.

interesting yeah i will ask ??? when i see the audiologist.. I wore ha since i was 2 yrs old so I am used to hearing things and i love music etc. I just was diagnosed with vertigo recently. Apparently I have it since 97 after the car accident. It wasn't bad then so I wasn't worried about this then but it just got worse lately. I did look up for the informations online but wasn't able to find any thats why i asked in here. but like you said better to ask.. good idea I will.. :) Thanks.

What is Vertigo? I got no slight idea what that is.

Luckysmile23 said:
interesting yeah i will ask ??? when i see the audiologist.. I wore ha since i was 2 yrs old so I am used to hearing things and i love music etc. I just was diagnosed with vertigo recently. Apparently I have it since 97 after the car accident. It wasn't bad then so I wasn't worried about this then but it just got worse lately. I did look up for the informations online but wasn't able to find any thats why i asked in here. but like you said better to ask.. good idea I will.. :) Thanks.

Mama2AFTIV said:

Vertigo and dizziness
▪ Spinning or whirling sensation; an illusion of movement of self or the world (vertigo)
▪ Lightheaded, floating, or rocking sensation
▪ Sensation of being heavily weighted or pulled in one direction

even when im laying on bed watching tv. I can feel inside my head whirling sensation which I HATE! it really bother me cuz i dont feel normal and get sick? once i was driving and i had it? UGH! sighs..

I have all of the symptoms listed there. It is very interesting? I have to go back to the dr in a month for another check up. ugh.. I will tell the dr about that as I might have vestibular disorder? jeez. this sucks!

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

Hi Luckysmiles23,

When I was going through the testing phase for a CI a couple of the tests I did were balance tests. They test the risk of balance issues after you have a CI implanted. It involved looking at a screen and tracking a red dot moving around from side to side. The second test had me lying down with a black masky over my eyes and then having cold and then warm water squirted into both my ears. There is a computer connected to the mask that tracks the movement of your eyes after the water has stopped squirting for both cold and warm. If you feel dizzy it's a good sign that your vestibular system is working correctly!

My surgeon does these tests as routine but I understand that not all CI centres do them. If you go through assessment for a CI be sure to highlight to the surgeon that balance is an area you are very concerned about and would like to be tested beforehand if this could be an issue for you.

Thanks for the input, R2D2. I will bring that up with the surgeon when it come to that. I am just starting as I got the packets as of last week, lol.

That would be wicked cool if it stopped vertigo....I know off the top of my head that it has been seen to stop tinnuiatus. I think part of the reason why criteria is so "blurry" is b/c they have gotten less strict about canidacy now. I do know that if you hear better then 60% with aids, you won't be qualified for CI.

Ahhh thanks! That's totally sucks that you might have it! UGH! I had a dizzy spell after I had a car accdient and it went away in short time. I don't even enjoy it! ICK!!!

I hope you able to get CI...so wish you alot of luck!

Luckysmile23 said:
Vertigo and dizziness
▪ Spinning or whirling sensation; an illusion of movement of self or the world (vertigo)
▪ Lightheaded, floating, or rocking sensation
▪ Sensation of being heavily weighted or pulled in one direction

even when im laying on bed watching tv. I can feel inside my head whirling sensation which I HATE! it really bother me cuz i dont feel normal and get sick? once i was driving and i had it? UGH! sighs..

I have all of the symptoms listed there. It is very interesting? I have to go back to the dr in a month for another check up. ugh.. I will tell the dr about that as I might have vestibular disorder? jeez. this sucks!

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

I have tinnutis it always bother me.. my mom said i have it all of my life.. i dont think so.. cuz i think it started after the car accident.. whatever.. ha. my son's father have it too.. after the ci being implanted .. he still have tinnutis.. he said its gotten worse as hes hearing like vacum cleaner? i was like ohh.. dont know if it is normal or not? anyone experience this? let me know ok..

If i remmy right I can understand words and hear stuffs 50% of the times. like you said 60% that is close! lol.. heh.. but sitll never know i might not be qualified for it.. cant have high hope for that anyway.. :)

yeah dr prescribed me durietic pills (water pills) as he said it should settle the vertigo.. that is remain to be seen... i still have it twice already.. yeah right! sighs! :dunno:

I have raging tinnitus too. It started when I suddenly lost my residual hearing in October last year and has continued 24/7. It's almost as if my brain is making up sound to keep my auditory nerve working, since I'm no longer getting sound imput.

I also have recruitment too which makes it impossible to wear a hearing aid in that ear. However I understand that this is not a problem with CIs since it bypasses the function of the damaged hair nerves.

If i remmy right I can understand words and hear stuffs 50% of the times. like you said 60% that is close! lol.. heh.. but sitll never know i might not be qualified for it.. cant have high hope for that anyway..
With or without hearing aid? Also, have you asked your audi about alternatives like body worn aid or those high frequncy transponders? I really do think that CI should only be for worst possible cases.

deafdyke said:
With or without hearing aid? Also, have you asked your audi about alternatives like body worn aid or those high frequncy transponders? I really do think that CI should only be for worst possible cases.
What's high frequency transponders? ,deafdyke ?
They are not sold in my country and body worn aids aren't sold either..
The only choice for me is super power BTE.

Mama2AFTIV said:

Rent a movie. You would understand better the defination of Vertigo.

Back