Crazymanw00t is back from Germany

Crazymanw00t

Reaction score
I want to let everyone to know that I am back from Germany.

Germany was great! Post a message if you want to know more details about my Germany trip. I don't know if you guys want me to explain the details to you guys because I have a bad repubation at www.alldeaf.com and my repubation can be called as bible-thumper, narror-minded, metal-minded, or a extremely stupid guy.

I wanted to learn the (DGS) Germany Signing Language and that I is why I had to fly to Germany to take the DGS course at Hamburg. I learned their Germany Signing Language (DGS) and their signing is very gesture and heavily depends on the speech or mouth moving. The DGS signing language isn't a standard signing language at Germany because each regions have many different signing languages for a same one word. But it was a interesting course and if you learned ASL and you should thank god for that.

Have a nice day!

Hiiiiii and Welcome back :thumb:
Crazymanw00t said:
I want to let everyone to know that I am back from Germany.

Germany was great! Post a message if you want to know more details about my Germany trip. I don't know if you guys want me to explain the details to you guys because I have a bad repubation at www.alldeaf.com and my repubation can be called as bible-thumper, narror-minded, metal-minded, or a extremely stupid guy.

Oh No, we do not consider you as stupid guy. Yes, we know that you have different beliefs as us but we has to respect your belief. Don't worry about your act in AllDeaf because it belong the past! :thumb:

We would love to listen your story here.

I wanted to learn the (DGS) Germany Signing Language and that I is why I had to fly to Germany to take the DGS course at Hamburg. I learned their Germany Signing Language (DGS) and their signing is very gesture and heavily depends on the speech or mouth moving. The DGS signing language isn't a standard signing language at Germany because each regions have many different signing languages for a same one word. But it was a interesting course and if you learned ASL and you should thank god for that.

Have a nice day!

If you love to know more about Germany then check my thread:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=15804&highlight=Germany+culture

I tried to find the English link for you to learn DGS (Deutsche Gebärdensprache) but I see all German languages. :(

Check this link but you can see the pictures of German sign languages course and also fingerspelling, too.

http://www.visuelles-denken.de/Schnupperkurs.html

I would love to hear the news about your visit to Germany and tell us what you think of Germany culture. :thumb:

Yes, there're comparison with ASL and DGS but I notice bit difference on ASL and DGS because DGS use their face/mouth movement when they use DGS but American not.

We have 2 different Sign languages here in Germany.

DGS (Deutsche Gebärdensprache) - compare with ASL
LBG (Lautsprachbegleitende Gebärden) - compare with SEE .

Cool thread! I will never forget the time when I lived in Germany for a semester, and learned DGS à la Darmstadt, only to be encountered by different sign language in Munich and Osnabrück. I try to chat with my German deaf friends online via webcam, but sometimes I struggle!

There is a TV Sender which broadcasts the news in DGS, it is called Phoenix, and if you check the TV listings, you can click onto Live TV Feed and watch the news in German Sign Language (DGS). Fun!

"Tagesschau mit Gebärdensprache" (News with Sign Langage) and it is usually broadcasted at 8 pm Middle European Time (2 pm Eastern Time, 1 pm Central, 12 pm Mountain and 11 am Pacific).

"heute-journal mit Gebärdensprache" (Today Journal with Sign Language) usually broadcasted at 9.45 pm MET (3.45 pm EST, 2.45 pm CST, 1.45 pm MST and 12.45 pm PST).

http://www.phoenix.de/tv_programm/1.1.htm

Have fun trying to watch DGS in the news!

Welcome Back.. I love the cultures in Germany too.. Soooo much different from USA and Germany. Germany have those historic places to see and it's really neat. I would like to go back there someday and taking my husband there for his first time trip in oversea...

WOW! That is very cool! I would like to learn German language although I am used to English and ASL (2nd language) .

Yea I used to know few words from german not sign language but speaking. Like Good Morning, Thanks you, and no. That just about all. My cousin used to married a man over there and now they are divorced. My deceased uncle used to traveled to German all the times. He loves it there. After he passed away my cousin sang a song in German at the funeral and it was so beautiful. German is a great place to go for a vacation. :D

Oh yea I even tried German foods Yummy my cousin used to make them. :D

Are you kidding me?! I thought you have been to live in California? damnit, I'll miss you. :( Eric.....

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!! i would love to learn differnt sign from out of county u know what i mean...

kuifje75 said:
Did anyone of you watch the news just recently online in DGS?

Liebling, I found an English link on DGS:
http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/English.html

Yeah I know about that website. I went to Hamburg's University and they are researching to try make it a more standard signing language in Germany due from many different signing language in Germany's regionals. The two instructors (Chris and Stefan) came from that Univeristy and it is a very interesting University.

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, there're comparison with ASL and DGS but I notice bit difference on ASL and DGS because DGS use their face/mouth movement when they use DGS but American not.

We have 2 different Sign languages here in Germany.

DGS (Deutsche Gebärdensprache) - compare with ASL
LBG (Lautsprachbegleitende Gebärden) - compare with SEE .

You are very correct with that information.

I saw both langauges at Germany. I could understand LBG little because I learned the Germany writing and reading. My other friends who haven't learned the Germany and they don't understand LBG very well. People who uses LBG tends to be older people like about 50+ age. I like DGS much better. DGS is just 7 to 10 years old. The DGS appears at Germany about 1990, I believe.

I met many deaf people at Hamburg, Stade, Luebuck, Berlin. They brags about ASL that the ASL tends to spell out for something and DGS never do that. It was interesting for them to say like that.

I met all ages from 4 to around 85ish. The younger kids acts same as our American's kids. The older people acts very different with our American and they are like umm wannabe hearing people. Not many older people act like that they are proud to be deaf. In Europe and if you are deaf and it is little harder to live there than living in America because we have ADA and other laws to protect the deaf people in America.

I went to the Hamburg deaf school. They have 80 deaf students from K-12 and they are good. They look smart and I visited their classroom and it is great! Same as my Fremont School but little different system, they are different because they follow the Germany's school system. it is not like America's system. After 5th grade I think and they will have to go one of three different school, Realschule, Gymanstic schule, and one more I forgot. I am sure that Liebling will answer for that the last thing. I am happy that they have a good school with half of deaf culture and hearing culture. I wish they could push more of deaf culture than being half with the hearing culture.

I'll post more details later. I am doing little by little because I have to take care of my niece at my house due to my brother is having a other baby. She born on last friday and her name is Ashlyn. Niece that stays at our house is Alexis. She is 4.

When I was a high school senior, I spent 3 weeks in Germany as part of an exchange program. I stayed with a family in Dusseldorf that had a daughter the same age as I was back then. I remember all the great food I enjoyed over there. I remember how lunch was the BIG meal, and dinner was a smaller meal. Here in the good old USA, dinner seems to be our big meal. Oh well. This was soooo long ago.

By the way, your pets are cute. Off-thread I know, but I just had to say it.

Crazymanw00t said:
You are very correct with that information.

I saw both langauges at Germany. I could understand LBG little because I learned the Germany writing and reading. My other friends who haven't learned the Germany and they don't understand LBG very well. People who uses LBG tends to be older people like about 50+ age. I like DGS much better. DGS is just 7 to 10 years old. The DGS appears at Germany about 1990, I believe.

Yes, DGS started is not long ago. They fought for years to get DGS as recongization.
Most of schools, the deaf attend is oralist. My hubby grow up oral. He can sign well like DGS except fingerspelling.
Yes alot of oldest people use LBG mostly and can't use fingerspelling. DGS is not their strong.

I met many deaf people at Hamburg, Stade, Luebuck, Berlin. They brags about ASL that the ASL tends to spell out for something and DGS never do that. It was interesting for them to say like that.

What's an exactly do you mean? Can you please clarify the example?
I met all ages from 4 to around 85ish. The younger kids acts same as our American's kids. The older people acts very different with our American and they are like umm wannabe hearing people. Not many older people act like that they are proud to be deaf. In Europe and if you are deaf and it is little harder to live there than living in America because we have ADA and other laws to protect the deaf people in America.

Yes, I'm agree with you that Germans's manner act is different as Americans. They are withdraw people. I notice the difference between Germans and Americans because I work for US Army caserne. I must say that Germans way of manner, show respect, open talk what they think with no offence, alot of tips/advices. Some of Americans offended easily if I open and direct what I think. Something like that when I gave her my name. She said "wow, that's beautiful name". I noticed the impression of her sour face as I said "wow interesting & funny name" when she annonnced her name "Lotta". I was like Oocchh. I doesn't mean to be rude to upset her. I noticed that most Americans like to be flattery and nice attention from anyone. Should I be flattery and said "Oh that's lovely name"? Perhap I should be careful what I am saying or tooo open? It's European ways to open talk direct what they think which it's different as Americans.

I can't answer yet until you give me the full word for ADA. I don't understand why Germans complaint you about disablies protection rights.

We have protection for disablity here in Germany. We are satasifed with those protection but I really dont know what you have in your country. Yes, I see disadvantage is we don't have full TV/cinema subtitles here in Germany. I would say 3 or 5 subtitlies a day. :(

We have job protection for disabilies rights.
They freed us from quarterly TV/radio/phone fee.
Tax discount on wage slip for disabilies.
50% tax discount for car tax OR disabled card for use free train, bus etc up to 50 km (pay 60 euro a year).
Monthly Deaf Allowance money (except Bavarians)

We (Bavarians) fighting for years to demand the same rights as North Germany to have Month Deaf Allowance money. I'm surprised that Germans are complaint about this to you. I thought they must be sataisfed. :dunno:

I went to the Hamburg deaf school. They have 80 deaf students from K-12 and they are good. They look smart and I visited their classroom and it is great! Same as my Fremont School but little different system, they are different because they follow the Germany's school system. it is not like America's system. After 5th grade I think and they will have to go one of three different school, Realschule, Gymanstic schule, and one more I forgot. I am sure that Liebling will answer for that the last thing. I am happy that they have a good school with half of deaf culture and hearing culture. I wish they could push more of deaf culture than being half with the hearing culture.

Yes, we have Hauptschule, Realschule und Gym. schule here in Germany but we have other schule named schule is "Wirtschaftschule" in Bavaria where I live. I will add the link for you later. I remember about my link about German school in homeschooling thread here.

They separated the school for Deaf, HOH and CI.

I'll post more details later. I am doing little by little because I have to take care of my niece at my house due to my brother is having a other baby. She born on last friday and her name is Ashlyn. Niece that stays at our house is Alexis. She is 4.

wow, congrats to be Uncle :thumb:

I will be back to add the link over German school later.

Back